Hel, the Goddess of Death related questions

Probably next Wednesday I’m most likely planning to conjure the Goddess of Death, using instructions I received from my Pater @PaterOctavius888 and ask her to avenge me, by disposing of those who crossed me, or those who I feel like are deserving of death for crimes they have done unto others, where justice turned a blind eye to. I’ve had successes with other Norse Gods with this conjuration method, such as Odin and Baldur recently. So, why not Hel, herself? Though I need to know important info, like rather or not I should do it for the purposes of bringing death on my foes? Or can she help in other ways? What offerings should I present her? (like with Odin I gave him Rum, Baldur some Dates smeared with Honey + Fresh Spring water from a stream near my home) Along with important information about the Goddess herself? All I know about her is she is the Goddess of Death, the Daughter of Loki, and her realm is Niflheim

2 Likes

I don’t foresee this working well in your favor. The problem here is much like the problem people have with Anubis and other deities of the dead. They are deities of THE DEAD not deities of Death. Hel has no say in the web or Wyrd. She only governs the land of the dead. You would benefit in learning more about Hel before you try something so foolhardy.

8 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, mate. Guess I’ll just go with Loki for revenge purpose. I’m glad I made this topic because now I know not to go this approach. For Hel, since she rules the dead, perhaps something more wholesome, like obtaining peace for the loss of my beloved cat, Sophie? Though not sure if she consoles the living by assuring them that the dead are at peace. @UnseelieDiabolus do you know if she does that, if not I’ll just leave her be, and just stick with Odin, Baldur, and Thor. Though I was curious about Freyja, Freyr, and possibly Heimdal.

I think you should experience her without preconceived notions, my experience with her was pretty pleasant. She does however, have knowledge of the runes and how they play a part on the the web, just as Odin does, just as pretty much a handful of the leaders of the 9 worlds. The Norse Gods any of them can gain certain knowledge on things if they want to sacrifice something to the well of Mimir or certain things. However, the Norns do specialize in the web but even they state that it’s not written in stone but rather changes and adds even outside of their will.

So if you’re curious about what else she can do it’s best to ask her directly because so much ‘time’ has past and even they learn and develop new things beyond the ideals of what humans give them. I don’t seek help from the Gods but she has taken it into her own hands to aid me in things not really anything to do with death or the dead.

3 Likes

I feel like I should get to know all of the Gods of the nine realms. I feel like just talking to her, would bring somewhat of a closure to my emotional turmoil, because yeah, Sophie’s death really did shook me. Besides, I think she may like my MCU Thor story about her and her brothers, especially about how she brutally rips out Thor’s eye in my story. Though I don’t know if I can hear any responses from them, my Pater said I need special Mushrooms for that, and I’m not into drugs (at least not comfortable with them), but I hope she can hear me.

2 Likes

Also, can you conjure Mimir himself? If you can, what’s he like? Sadly the only frame of reference I know of him is from God of War 4. I know he’s pretty knowledgable, but I have no idea if offerings to him will be extreme in nature, like offering your eyeball perchance?

Okay, i am going to try to be gentle here. You need to take a break from the magick and dive into the lore. The Poetic Edda is a good start. From there you can dig into the lore of the specific entities and the stories surrounding them.

Hel is not bloodthirsty. She is the calm darkness of the dead. Even loving to those to whom have her as their Matron Goddess. She can be harsh, but it’s often in a motherly way to help you. The only thing I have seen so far that you want that would be appropriate is asking her to help you cope with death.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, and now I know for sure she’s the best, because yeah like I wrote in the previous post, Sophie’s death really shook me, and I didn’t mean to make her out to be bloodthirsty, it was for a story purpose for a better version of MCU’s Thor, seriously it could’ve been so much better, and paid respects to these Gods. Hell, when I conjured Baldur, I told him my version of the story where he’s killed by Loki, and now I and my brother have a renew friendship. What I took from it, he must have really loved the part where Thor, Tyr, and Baldur teamed up to save Asgard and protect Odin during his Odinsleep. So, I guess this gives me a chance to tell a more original story of my own to her.

Also yeah I’m gonna read The Poetic Edda, because yeah I need to get into learning my Danish roots.

I have not really sacrificed anything like that, most of my offerings be it to my runes or to Odin were more just blood offerings through a safe manner and it wasn’t to ask for anything it was just a random offering I wanted to try.

However, like I said you’re better off experiencing these things first, just so your views arent frontloaded by what’s written because a lot of stuff Snorri writes are christianized, and a lot of stuff online like a lot of myths are just that myths.

1 Like

Alot of Snorri is indeed Christianized, but I maintain it’s the best place to start. Also anything by Diana Paxson or Ben Waggoner.

1 Like

I am not saying they shouldn’t read it, I would agree, more that they should take it with a large lump of salt if anything and not let it mold their experiences as many tend to do when they read about an entity from a book or online.

2 Likes

Isnt she involved in the practice of Seidr though? As the practice often interacts with the dead.

2 Likes

Not typically from the seidr practicianers and material that I have read. She basically just oversees the realm rather than taking much of an active part in the process.

4 Likes

I’ve heard both things and I practice Seidr myself, but I mostly work with Odin, Freyja and Loki in regards to that section of Nordic Witchcraft

3 Likes

Addendum: so I thought I would ask what you thought

1 Like

And now I know better, thanks to your wisdom. I’m going to Hel, for the sole purpose of coping, and maybe just to talk to her. Also, I tried to start reading an online version of the Edda, just not in a reading mood, because remembering Sophie is bringing back a lot of memories of her: sitting on my lap, trying to steal my pizza, and her greeting me every morning. So, yeah she was a character, an old soul who might everything to me and my family. From what I’m seeing, Hel might be the Goddess who can let me know, Sophie’s fine and maybe ease my pain. Thank you @UnseelieDiabolus and @anon48079295 for setting me straight, and I apologize for not knowing her too well.

4 Likes

So…I didn’t read this entire thread so I apologize if this is redundant…

But my question would be do you have an existing relationship with Hel?

If not, I would suggest getting to know her first. I’m not sure why people don’t think that they should have a preexisting relationship with spirits before trying to put them to work for any purpose.

Get to know her first. Introduce yourself. See what she likes and doesn’t…not just from stories but from experience. Let her show you how to envision her. Etc…then see what she can do for you…

remember…reciprocity…not just what she can do for you, but what you can do for her…even if it is just as simple as offerings and respect.

But that’s just my thoughts. Good Luck either way.

3 Likes

Yup, I’m planning on it, I wanna get to know her first, so I had to conjure Odin yesterday for some healing related works. Though thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

@ParagonSage91
After the books of Johan Lahger Loki is Lucifer.
Through my experience I can say that the entity Thor has an angelic name which is Aaschmunadai. ‘‘Thor’’ only means “Thunder” as far as most will know.

1 Like