Futhark That

Yeah sort of. As I learn Elder Futhark I’m making certian decisions about my own style that will be optimized for modern English. I might write things in “American Futhorc” and craft items with Elder Futhark.

Maybe I’ll use Elder runes to start proper nouns or for decorating a page like old storybooks and stuff.

1 Like

Okay, here’s the rune learning game:

Write a rune, then name that rune, then write and name each rune used to name the first rune. I already messed up the first one and had to go back and fix it, but I spelled Thurisaz from memory instead of looking up any of the runes in its name.

This also shows the difference in the ornate and prose forms of futhark.

1 Like

@zapdubious

You’re definitely on the right track. So the elder futhark is actually the ancestral language to german and english which is why it lends itself so well to spelling out other words

Berkanan is B

Kennaz is C

Sowilo is S

Raido is R

These are definitely not coincidences

The vikings used to write entire poetry within runes

They were also used as grave markers

And of course held spiritual/magickal significance as well

3 Likes

Here’s my first run of Thurisaz.
I’m not totally sure about all the vowel choices but this game will take me through all that several times.

Thee
Thy
Though
Thumb
I smell the blood of an English man.
(It does rhyme if you say it in the right accent. Think of a slow talking orc pirate. “mun” like “Hun”)

4 Likes

Here are the “second factors” of thurisaz:

And a list of all the runes that comprise Thurisaz and the names of its factors and their names.

That’s the seventeen runes of Thurisaz. I might get more if I improve my grasp of vowels.

I made myself my own set of runnes back in march of this year. Havnt used them much due to major recent health issues, but they were powerfully made and charged

under that full moon.

8 Likes

Badass! I like the wooden “coins”. I have a bunch of tree branches in my backyard that could become a whole bunch of cool stuff.

3 Likes

That’s finishing off naming all the runes unless I missed one.
And here’s the alpha version of my own writing futhark.

Fun stuff. It’s not as hard as I thought.

Bonus runes!
My wife saw what I was up to. She knows a version of Pictish that she got from Buckland’s Witchcraft back in the 90’s.

Meet (Shee) and (Choo) for ‘sh’ and ‘ch’

Edit: I found the more runic Pictish. They make a lovely addition:

2 Likes

Here’s an English variant of Ansuz. It makes the sharp A sound like hat or apple. I named it Atlas but sounded it (At-less) in an American accent.

Also here’s the rune I missed. Eihwaz, not to be confused with ehwaz.

I think that’s the one used to pronounce sharp I like idiot, pickle, or thin.

1 Like

Make bind-runes, it’s one of the easiest forms of spell casting in my opinion. It’s similar to sigil magick in the sense of how the bind rune holds meaning to you and to you alone.

Runes can be used for divination as well but that is not their main feature and one thing to remember-the runes are living, breathing entities! So you must respect them

5 Likes

If one chooses to re-spell their own language, there are certain choices that must be made.

If you spell ‘feck-off’ with one fehu in ‘off’ then you might have to spell ‘of’ with a Vi. Vi is also pictish here’s a pic:

How to spell ‘fire’ ‘light’ or ‘scrotum’? Each choice illuminates the web of logic gates involved in the most sublime of all arts that man hath wrought. The forming of runes into words and words into thought and memory. Poetry

1 Like

Gayder ye round kinder ind heer de saga oov de greet keeng Yortle

Seriously though, rhyming poetry is exactly how you figure out vowels and spelling. It’s an amazingly effective mnemonic device.

You don’t just write Galdralag in runes that you don’t truly speak. Odin is really into poetry, and he doesn’t spend effort on things that don’t pay off.

2 Likes

question are runes less effective if drawn and cast on paper? and has anyone tried binding a rune and servitor

1 Like

are runes less effective if drawn and cast on paper?

My first rune set was made from simple office paper, and it worked quite good. I think that connection of Runes and operator is more important than material.

4 Likes

Maybe the runes have something in common with musical notes. Do you know about octaves in musical scale? The notes and their vibrational relationships play out in repeating geometric proportions as sound moves up and down in pitch.

G is G in all the octaves. C has the same proportion to G in all the octaves. Perhaps the runes and their web of relationships play out on various levels. Carving a rune in stone or metal would be a low pitch way to use it. Writing it together with lots of runes to make sentences and paragraphs and whole stories might be medium pitch. Meditating to find runes out of thin air might be higher in pitch and so on.

The last current I went on was “Sight-Based Philosophy” with Athena and friends™

It made me a better student and it made me way better at articulating things. Finding these tools so obviously shaped by essentialist geometors who put so much thought into language makes me wonder.

What’s the old Norse, Germanic, or old wizard word for philosophy? Is it wizardry? Druidry? I already knew that. I guess I’m thinking aloud over here.:upside_down_face:

I practice skepticism at least as much as I practice magic. I know with total confidence that the way of the wizard optimizes the operator’s psychology for materialistic success. I say that as a total atheist who trolls Satanists on other forums.

“Take the hypothetical seriously”
Sometimes spiritual sight and intellectual insight are hard to tell apart.

1 Like

I’ve been over the male and female styles before, but this is an interesting explanation of how stuff goes.

I like that because as a seer anything goes. The whole point is to see what you see, not what you want to see or what you think you should see. However, as a wizard I am a habitual un-believer. I entertain philosophical points, but am a very tough customer toward the supernatural.

Both of these ways are good. They belong together and support one another. That’s why they instinctively feel like boy/girl. I think everyone should dabble in both, obviously. It’s 2019 up in here get with the times right?

2 Likes

Anything and everything by Edred Thorrson (aka Stephen Flowers), particularly Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic.

Al.

6 Likes

Edred Thorroson is a killer Futhark name.
I’ll try to get a copy.

I spell Odin in futhark like Ah-then.
I’ve been working “ah, then…”, into conversations when I want the other person to get to the point. I visualize the runes when I say it. At the very least it helps me pay close attention and remember what they say.