Futhark That

When I first learned the Futhark, I had a dream in which I saw a 5:letter Word in runes on a black wall. I assigned the letters in that order to the points of the pentagram and established it through their meanings as a formula. That Word has been my Magickal Name a long time.

2 Likes

My dad is a Scandinavian patchwork quilt (no Icelandic, but lots of Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish, with a little Finnish).

He saw absolutely no conflict between forcing me to go to church and teaching me about the Norse gods…sometimes on the same day. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

That rune name is pronounced Fee-thoos.

I can see that one must work out a certian style. I think I will learn to spell English phonetically as opposed to matching letters.

I’ll probably use the Roman looking fehu and sowilo and the English thurisaz to start with:

That will help me learn to sight-read but I’m taking note of the alternate versions of each one. Those might be better for when I want to make them extra futharky.

That had totally occured to me. I started with three consonants, so I picked two vowels to make it pronouncable. Pentagrams are good and I’ll probably use golden ratios in any crafting I do.

Feethoos, Phithas, Fifth-ass
That might end up being the name of my guide, but I think this pentagram will be my first rune craft. I’ll totally post it even if it’s noobish.

1 Like

You know the uþark?
Fehu stands least in this rune order.
I use runes this way.
Thomas Karlsson published a book about that.
Highly recommanded and about fuþark Gardenstone.

3 Likes

I made a Runic money box. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

@Zapdubious

Nice! So you’re making your own rune set then? Post pics! I found making my set was a lot of work but it is good to do

1 Like

I had seen that. Maybe that’s where I picked up Sowilo. Letter ‘S’ is like that. It shows up everywhere and modifies words in all sorts of different ways.

Sowilo is a powerful rune that likes all the other runes. It’s no wonder we use $ for money. Sowilo gets around.

2 Likes

So I picked out the equivalent of A,B,C and noticed that they all have an N sound in their name. I got N and I for another set of five with two vowels.

I think I’ll try to write the names of the runes in runic. That seems like a good way to decide which one to learn next.

Yeah sort of. As I learn Elder Futhark I’m making certian decisions about my own style that will be optimized for modern English. I might write things in “American Futhorc” and craft items with Elder Futhark.

Maybe I’ll use Elder runes to start proper nouns or for decorating a page like old storybooks and stuff.

1 Like

Okay, here’s the rune learning game:

Write a rune, then name that rune, then write and name each rune used to name the first rune. I already messed up the first one and had to go back and fix it, but I spelled Thurisaz from memory instead of looking up any of the runes in its name.

This also shows the difference in the ornate and prose forms of futhark.

1 Like

@zapdubious

You’re definitely on the right track. So the elder futhark is actually the ancestral language to german and english which is why it lends itself so well to spelling out other words

Berkanan is B

Kennaz is C

Sowilo is S

Raido is R

These are definitely not coincidences

The vikings used to write entire poetry within runes

They were also used as grave markers

And of course held spiritual/magickal significance as well

3 Likes

Here’s my first run of Thurisaz.
I’m not totally sure about all the vowel choices but this game will take me through all that several times.

Thee
Thy
Though
Thumb
I smell the blood of an English man.
(It does rhyme if you say it in the right accent. Think of a slow talking orc pirate. “mun” like “Hun”)

4 Likes

Here are the “second factors” of thurisaz:

And a list of all the runes that comprise Thurisaz and the names of its factors and their names.

That’s the seventeen runes of Thurisaz. I might get more if I improve my grasp of vowels.

I made myself my own set of runnes back in march of this year. Havnt used them much due to major recent health issues, but they were powerfully made and charged

under that full moon.

8 Likes

Badass! I like the wooden “coins”. I have a bunch of tree branches in my backyard that could become a whole bunch of cool stuff.

3 Likes

That’s finishing off naming all the runes unless I missed one.
And here’s the alpha version of my own writing futhark.

Fun stuff. It’s not as hard as I thought.

Bonus runes!
My wife saw what I was up to. She knows a version of Pictish that she got from Buckland’s Witchcraft back in the 90’s.

Meet (Shee) and (Choo) for ‘sh’ and ‘ch’

Edit: I found the more runic Pictish. They make a lovely addition:

2 Likes

Here’s an English variant of Ansuz. It makes the sharp A sound like hat or apple. I named it Atlas but sounded it (At-less) in an American accent.

Also here’s the rune I missed. Eihwaz, not to be confused with ehwaz.

I think that’s the one used to pronounce sharp I like idiot, pickle, or thin.

1 Like

Make bind-runes, it’s one of the easiest forms of spell casting in my opinion. It’s similar to sigil magick in the sense of how the bind rune holds meaning to you and to you alone.

Runes can be used for divination as well but that is not their main feature and one thing to remember-the runes are living, breathing entities! So you must respect them

5 Likes