Ethics Anyone

You’re as bad as me and you know it. :wink:

1 Like

Worse :smiling_imp:

1 Like

True :wink:

I was just interested in starting a general discussion. I am simply interested in learning what fellow magik practitioners think on the subject. I have no particular situation in mind.

Hi Everyone,

Here is what got me spurred me to start this thread on Ethics and magik. I was at the dentist office and there was an old beaten up philosophical Journal and I read an article that basically argued that both polytheism and pantheism could never again be a viable religion or spiritual path because there is no basis for any form of enduring ethics in either polytheism or pantheism. Basically the article argued that anyone that sincerely followed either polytheism or pantheism were at best intellectual light weights who didn’t know any better or were a threat to human civilization.

Well that just pissed me off. So what do you guys think about that?

Hahahaha I would like to meet the guy who wrote this! Precious! Our world thrived under polytheism/pantheism and that’s really the only proof you need.

2 Likes

monotheism does lend itself better to fostering stronger social cohesion. philosophical arguments for monotheism do tend to end up sounder as well.

On the other hand the Lakota named God Great Mystery for a reason.

3 Likes

I think it was a practioner of a monotheistic religion that wrote it :laughing: as history shows many flaws in his opinion

2 Likes

Thank you!

I think you found subtly concealed propaganda in a ‘philosophical’ magazine. Happen to remember the name of the rag by any chance?

That’s what is suspect to me. A person’s ethics can and often are mutually exclusive from their spiritual path. On that same note, it is BS that religion bestows ethics. Religions never bestow ethics, they impose morality. IMO there is a huge difference between ethics and morality.

I hold the existence of atheists with ethics to be proof of this.

It sounds like this article was either written intentionally by someone with an agenda, or an inability to realize when they are projecting. If not, their ‘philosophical’ perspective is shit.

1 Like

So true. Many use the terms interchangeably but they are not the same thing.

4 Likes

Hi Woodsman81,

No, I don’t sorry.Thanks for responding.

1 Like

So the reason I started this thread is because I read a philosophical article that argued that Pantheist’s and Polytheist’s don’t have the capability for true ethics well that pissed me off. I’ve done some more research and that is a common though not unanimous position among people who study Ethics.

So I started looking for articles were scholarly ethical systems for Pantheists and Polytheists. I have not found a lot. So I would like it if some of you folks know of any ethical systems for Polytheists would you pass them on to me?

Why do I want to know about ethical systems. I do not want to box myself inside of an ethical system. I just find reading and learning about these types of things useful and enlightening and kind of fun in my weird quirky way. I also don’t think any ethical system is able to cover every possible human scenario.

So what are you folk’s ideas?

Also within pagan/neo-pagan circles the concept of hospitality seems almost universally important although
not much is written about it.

Spinoza was a pantheist and wrote volumes on ethics… I really can’t think of any polytheist apologists in the academia arena though.

1 Like

Has the person who wrote this heard of a little thing called ancient Egypt, which had an ethical system that was likely the origin of Moses’ ideas? Or ancient Greece, and Rome, both of which had a lot of lads (and a few lasses) who gave rather a lot of thought to ethics, and matters of that nature, including philosophy? :astonished:

Or, India, the Vedas, and the Gita, the principle of ahimsa… :thinking:

PS, I made an argument for why monotheism is batfuck crazy and ultimately leads to genocidal urges in this post if it’s of intetrest: Polytheism vs. Monotheism - #7 by Lady_Eva

2 Likes

Personally,I don’t follow a code of ethics,I do what I feel like doing when I want to do it its that simple…As for lines that I wouldn’t cross in magick…I believe that you create lines in order to cross them when you are ready…I had a line once…First week in the occult line was curses…I swore on my soul that I would never cast a curse…A month later I was casting a curse…Than I started creating other lines like „Never evoke Azathoth or Sorath“ or never make a pact,never blaspheme too much etc…Most of those lines I crossed…Thing is if you make a line,you will end up crossing it sooner or later and its out of your control…

1 Like

Thanks Lady Eva, I’ll read your post on Polytheism vs Monotheism.

Thanks, I look him up.

Thanks Aiden666,

[quote=“Aiden666, post:26, topic:41870”]
I believe that you create lines in order to cross them when you are ready

When it comes to Ethics I’m looking more for of As a Pagan how to live both a happy life and a productive life, how to be a good ancestor before I’m an ancestor.

1 Like

Thanks everyone I appreciate all your ideas and thoughts on the subject.

2 Likes