E. A.'s technique of sigil magick

Hi! This is my first post on this forum.

From the first time I read Works of Darkness, one technique that fascinated me was sigil magick. I am not talking about Austin Spare’s technique, but of the opening of angels and demons’ sigils and seals, which is an original technique I have never read of in any book except E.A.‘s and has the same name of the former one. (I want to avoid any confusion with Spare’ technique, in which I am not interested. Both techniques have little in common)

If you don’t know it, this technique is found in E.A.'s first four books (Works of Darkness, Baneful Magick, Evoking Eternity and The Spider and the Green Butterfly). It is even mentioned somewhere in Questing after Visions.

I have tried a few times without any success. Once, I used Methsan’s sigil from Kingdoms of Flame to curse an enemy, but nothing happened. I used Paimon’s sigil to make break some couple more or less a year ago. After one month, they broke up, but I am not sure if it was due to the sigil opening. Finally, I used Sallos’s sigil (19th spirit of the Goetia) to make some girl become infatuated with me. There are one or two things that could be considered as signals that it was working, but I never could make her love me, which was the original goal.

I know many of you are more involved with E.A.'s workings than other people in other forums, so I want to read from you what have been your successes and failures with this technique and what do you consider can be the commons errors in opening sigils, so I can learn how to apply it effectively. If the same E.A. can give me some useful suggestions, they are all welcomed :slight_smile:

I want to use this technique for manifesting many things in my life. I would like to buy The Book of Azazel, but I don’t have enough money and learning how to use correctly Sigil Magick I could manifest some dollars and buy it.

I would like to know also of your experiences with E.A.‘s method of scrying given in Works of Darkness in the eighth chapter, in which the sigils of Sastan (Kingdoms of Flame) and Mepsitahl (Konstantinos’ Summoning Spirits) are used to awake one’s scrying abilities.

I also would like to know if someone has used Abramelin’s Squares along with this method.

4 Likes

Instead of using charged sigils why not just perform a full evocation? The results of the evocation would be far stronger than what you would get from simply charging a sigil.

3 Likes

I am interested in sigil magick for many reasons. And one of them is that for E.A.'s method of evocation it is necessary to know how to open a sigil.

So, I can’t make a full evocation without knowing how to open a sigil…

1 Like

I also want to know some of your successes with sigil magick in order to know if what I experienced with it is all what sigil magick can give me or if I am just failing at it.

E. A. says sigil magick is very powerful, so I think I am just failing. Would you call successful having your enemy still alive and with excellent health even though in Baneful Magick it is said that with Methsan’s sigil one must be careful because it can kill your victim? Do you think not making that girl fall in love with you is not possible with Sallos’ sigil even though candle magick, which is a “weaker” form of magick, is supposed to do this and more?

And I want some suggestions and help with it, because this ritual is a basic step for other more advanced workings such as evocation.

1 Like

[quote=“lexner_32, post:4, topic:112”]I also want to know some of your successes with sigil magick in order to know if what I experienced with it is all what sigil magick can give me or if I am just failing at it.

E. A. says sigil magick is very powerful, so I think I am just failing. Would you call successful having your enemy still alive and with excellent health even though in Baneful Magick it is said that with Methsan’s sigil one must be careful because it can kill your victim? Do you think not making that girl fall in love with you is not possible with Sallos’ sigil even though candle magick, which is a “weaker” form of magick, is supposed to do this and more?

And I want some suggestions and help with it, because this ritual is a basic step for other more advanced workings such as evocation.[/quote]

The thing about these sigils is they are of a different nature to most of the sigils used in chaos magick. If you want their effects you are going to have to establish a relationship with the entity through evocation before that sigil is going to work for you. Much as the Fotamecus sigil does in the link I posted in another thread about sigil magick.

1 Like

That’s simply my theory as to why it wouldn’t work. I was having hit and miss results with sytry and claunecks respective sigils until I evoked them and started fully utilizing them in my life. Now it’s more like I can take the sigil and sort of guide them in how I want them to influence something instead of evoking them to ratify a request I made to them previously.

1 Like

The broking up of that couple was sudden, but it took much more time than I expected. Days after trying sigil magick with Paimon’s sigil, they begin to spend too much time together. However, in my opinion, there wasn’t any real love in them. They used to kiss each other very often like crazy, and it was awful to see for me. Suddenly, after one weekend, they were not together. And now, they even don’t talk to each other. I don’t know what happen there. It could have been Paimon, or just that there wasn’t any love involved and for that the relationship ended. But this is interesting.

With Sallos’ sigil, one “sign” I got was that the girl told me something. But that wasn’t related to anything romantical. Anyone can tell you something, but that doesn’t mean you like her. Another “sign” was something that a person said that suggested that she felt something about me. But the following days, the “signs” ceased completely, and it was clear that the working was a failure. These “signs” can be just coincidence, as they were nothing dramatic or strange.

However, what can you say about Methsan’s sigil? In this case, the victim was the boy in the couple I mentioned. He never became sick and he never showed signs of being cursed, so that was clearly a failure.

If you want their effects you are going to have to establish a relationship with the entity through evocation before that sigil is going to work for you.

E.A. never said one should master evocation before attempting sigil magick. In Works of Darkness, the chapter on Sigil Magick is before the chapter on Evocation. And in Evoking Eternity, opening a sigil is part of establishing a contact with the entity. Therefore, trying to establish contact with an entity through evocation before doing the same through sigil magick is like trying to make a phone call to someone just to ask his/her phone number!

In the same way you first must know his/her phone number before calling him/her, you must know sigil magick before attempting evocation. One thing is always before the other.

Conclusion: it is not necessary to know evocation to attemp sigil magick.

When I began sigil magic, the floodgates of success opened for me when I took notice of the signs that the ritual was working.

What have been your successes with sigil magick?

I would suggest you first get experienced with the sigil magick, by first executing the entities given in the book, in the order they were given. I remember I had great sucess with those entities, especially the one who helps your evolution as a whole. I did the ritual on a Thursday, by Monday I had tons of new books and sources of knowledge. Also, do not attempt more than one working at a time. Try one, let it work, try another. About the baneful magick, it is something deep and difficult, and can take as many a year or two for the victim to die, so maybe that wasnt a failure, but hasnt manifested yet. Also, are you familiar with EA’s law of reversed effort? You can find it here: The Magical Law Of Reversed Effort . Might be worth checking out. Best of luck!

1 Like

re: opening a sigil

Hello Lexner 32-

The short answer:

The ‘opening of the sigil’ that has you so vexed is actually part of the evocation ritual. After you have made your preparations to evoke, After you’ve brought yourself (mentally) down down into that relaxed/alert state EA calls theta/gamma, you lift your gaze to the sigil as a focus upon the demon itself - its nature, its offices, its appearance. The sigil is your touchstone and the physical representation of the PERSON OF the demon.

As your interior merges with that ideal - gets involved in that Being - that IS the “opening of the sigil.” (In many cases the sigil will actually begin to glow.) That sigil actually opens YOU.

Once you feel the demon, you’re one step away from seeing them. Thats when you move into voicing your evocation; your command to appear while looking expectantly into the rising smoke you have placed there for that purpose. You do not get anxious about it, you do not get childishly peeved its not working fast enough. You WANT to succeed … You KNOW others have succeeded … You EXPECT if they can do it, so can you.

Once you reach a state of angst about it, its time to stop. Come back to it another time. You must be able to keep your emotion in check, which basically means you must keep your doubts in check.

Its a process of learning to trust. Trust what? Yourself. Your right & ability to do it. That it does work. You might succeed on you first go at it; you might succeed on your third. But you go into it assumung you CAN & YOU WILL. Hope this helps ya out! :wink: Z

PS: GOSH, wouldn’t you hate to see the “long” answer?

6 Likes

The broking up of that couple was sudden, but it took much more time than I expected. Days after trying sigil magick with Paimon’s sigil, they begin to spend too much time together. However, in my opinion, there wasn’t any real love in them. They used to kiss each other very often like crazy, and it was awful to see for me. Suddenly, after one weekend, they were not together. And now, they even don’t talk to each other. I don’t know what happen there. It could have been Paimon, or just that there wasn’t any love involved and for that the relationship ended. But this is interesting.

With Sallos’ sigil, one “sign” I got was that the girl told me something. But that wasn’t related to anything romantical. Anyone can tell you something, but that doesn’t mean you like her. Another “sign” was something that a person said that suggested that she felt something about me. But the following days, the “signs” ceased completely, and it was clear that the working was a failure. These “signs” can be just coincidence, as they were nothing dramatic or strange.

However, what can you say about Methsan’s sigil? In this case, the victim was the boy in the couple I mentioned. He never became sick and he never showed signs of being cursed, so that was clearly a failure.

If you want their effects you are going to have to establish a relationship with the entity through evocation before that sigil is going to work for you.

E.A. never said one should master evocation before attempting sigil magick. In Works of Darkness, the chapter on Sigil Magick is before the chapter on Evocation. And in Evoking Eternity, opening a sigil is part of establishing a contact with the entity. Therefore, trying to establish contact with an entity through evocation before doing the same through sigil magick is like trying to make a phone call to someone just to ask his/her phone number!

In the same way you first must know his/her phone number before calling him/her, you must know sigil magick before attempting evocation. One thing is always before the other.

Conclusion: it is not necessary to know evocation to attemp sigil magick.

When I began sigil magic, the floodgates of success opened for me when I took notice of the signs that the ritual was working.

What have been your successes with sigil magick?[/quote]

As I said before this was simply an idea at best. I’m pretty new to utilizing their sigils in anything other than evocation as it never crossed my mind to do so. I’m also quite new to EA’s books having only gained access to a handful within a fairly recent time frame. I’ve been pretty much self taught my whole life and despite this one flaw in my logic I’ve done pretty well for myself in my path of spiritual ascent. My best results with sigil magick have been the ones I’ve created personally through the methods of spare and carroll. My expertise falls short in this post but at least I can take away something new from it.

You guys DO realize that nothing any of us says is anything other than personal experience, right? A “This is how I do it” or “This worked for me at least once” etc. My point being that NOBODY IS - or CAN be - wrong! We’re just bouncing around ideas, sharing successes - and frustrations - in this wonderful platform designed to do exactly that! Chill! :wink: Z

2 Likes

Since you’re still obsessing over the results or lack thereof, obviously the Law of Reversed Effort is haunting you. In the course of the ritual, it is one of your jobs to rid yourself, through whatever ritual enactments you include, of all desire for the end result.

6 Likes

Good answers, thanks.

I want to know more of this technique, so if you don’t mind here are a few more questions…

I would suggest you first get experienced with the sigil magick, by first executing the entities given in the book, in the order they were given. I remember I had great sucess with those entities, especially the one who helps your evolution as a whole. I did the ritual on a Thursday, by Monday I had tons of new books and sources of knowledge.

Those entities you are talking about are Martal, Kaltemtal, Paimon and Belial, which are mentioned in Works of Darkness? I am interested to know more of what can I expect from working with them.

How did you get that knowledge and new books? Did you search for them or they came to you? I want to make sure if this was really a result of the working, because in this time it is possible to find many things easily through Internet and similar means, and you may be considering this as a working of the entities while it was just a consequence of your effort and time.

Also, do not attempt more than one working at a time. Try one, let it work, try another.

How do you know when a working failed completely so it is sure to begin a new one? I used the sigils mentioned before more than a year ago, so it is clear they failed, because those desires hasn’t been manifested in such a long time.

In your experience, how much time do you give to a sigil opening to manifest a desire before beginning to consider it as a failure?

After you've brought yourself (mentally) down down into that relaxed/alert state EA calls theta/gamma

How are sure the theta/gamma sync is completely necessary to open a sigil? E.A. never mentioned it before in his first four books, and it became known until the publication of Questing after Visions… He never mentioned the exercise to attain that state in his first books, so it is not necessary to enter in the theta/gamma sync to open a sigil.

I want to know how much time takes in average to start seeing the “visual effects” that signal the opening of the sigil. You know, you must be very familiar with it because you have read about it in E.A. first books many times: the lines and curves of the sigil disappearing and reapearing from sight after a few minutes of sigil gazing…

How much time did you spend in the exercise given in Works of Darkness in which you use the sigils of Sastan and Mepsitahl to open your astral senses and get the ability to use an scrying mirror? What did you learn in working with these entities?

What have been your experience with Abramelin squares? How powerful are they?

Yeah, this really is the heart of all lack of success, isn’t it? (SUCH a bitch, it is…). Thanks, EA for once again pointing out that our INTERIOR is the only obstacle we’re actually running into … :wink: Z

1 Like

As for the thetta/gamma state, from my personal experience I say it is necessary as I had experienced the first and only holograph-like visions ever. But I assume that if you are already clairvoyant the trance is not needed.

Being clairvoyant or the theta/gamma sync are not necessary to work sigil magick successfully according to what E.A. wrote in his first four books. Have you ever read them?

Being clairvoyant or the theta/gamma sync are not necessary to work sigil magick successfully according to what E.A. wrote in his first four books. Have you ever read them?[/quote]

Just some parts of them…gotta read them again, I wrote it bad, I meant it´s necessary for visual effects, firing sigils in normal state is quite like firing a gun with your ears plugged and eyes covered I think

Just some parts of them...gotta read them again, I wrote it bad, I meant it´s necessary for visual effects, firing sigils in normal state is quite like firing a gun with your ears plugged and eyes covered I think

Theta/gamma sync may be useful for sigil magick, but as I said earlier, E.A. never included any exercise nor instructions in entering that state when he wrote about sigil magick.

In which of the first books of E.A. did you read for the first time of sigil magick?

Where is everyone? There is a lot of questions I asked you…

Forgive me, but I am not trying to be an ass…but you need to roll up your sleeves and become involved with the issue itself and start your work…rather than compiling questions. There is a difference between head knowledge only and experience. You learn best by becoming involved. No one is going to do it for you…read these books yourself and become involved with them.
If you feel E.A. did not include something in that section, it was probably because he expected one to find it for themselves by doing.

Best regards,
Maxx

1 Like