Does burning a sigil

before a task is complete, end the power of the entity to complete the task???

i want to stick to the 3 open sigils at a time thing, but i want to do more evocations and i dont want to have 15 sigils sitting around…

Do I burn the sigil or not?

I often burn the sigil right after the request is made. I feel it breaks the psychic connect with the entity and therefore I am less likely to effect the operation. I feel the sigils only value is that of communication. I am interested to hear others perspective on this.

I do think that EA says under normal circumstances that 3 should be the maximum, but in the course work for Mastering Evocation you can have many open. At any rate, I think once it is open, and the charge has been given, the power is already released and keeping the sigil around might just be atavistic or serve a purpose of having a physical item attached to the entity’s presence. I never burned mine, however to be honest, I have opened sigils that were on computer screens, and never really had to burn them. I never destroyed them, but I have deleted sigils with entities who do continuous work, and they haven’t gone anywhere. So burning it shouldn’t effect the task, since the charge is already given. Only if you cut it off psychologically… my 2 cents (BTW… 15 sigils!!! Goddamn, what’s goin’ on there, sounds like some “Pinky and the Brain” try-to-take-over-the-world shit).

Are you using the sigils for sigil magick or evocations?

If your using sigil magick I would keep the 3 sigil rule in play and not burn them until the task was completed as the sigil is the physical link the spirit works through.

Evocations don’t work by the 3 sigil rule, look at the Gatekeeper ritual as it has four sigils in use as well as the ritual in Baneful Magick where 9 spirits are summoned. The spirit doesn’t use the sigil during an evocation its more of a point of contact for the magician, the spirit manifests in the incense, mirror or whatever else you decide to use, it doesn’t need the physical link of the sigil as it has been called to work on this plane.

What -TWF- put above seems to follow what I sense (I notice when I have destroyed a sigil- actually tearing up to bits vs burning- I notice a strongly distinct disconnection feeling…)

earlier this yr when EA mentioned 3 sigils I was thinking, hm with all my ‘working notes’ here and there’ that would mean there are A Lot open… I picked them out and found a Stack… tore them all up and went and buried them in a stream bank (not as if burying junk, but burying a grave&planting a seed)
major feeling of (and it major stormed that night, like it did last night here actually)

Anyway what I’ve been thinking recently- there seem to be progressive stages that have a more integrated affect (tying it/interweaving it in your Energetic Field to more affect the world, less so= less enfused into your situation, but still acts indirectly) thus:
Communication/Contact to (questions, info- divination-Intell as well as get to know )
Starting with above further to Sigil magic of accessing that Power/Energy-Freq and/or the Entities there to send their influence to Here. (at end just finished) vs

Doing the above two steps, and then further that “calling forth&near” this would be Opening the Sigil as a Portal (gateway could use the material sigil is drawn upon as a Talis, or just as a place-in-space that reaches out into Enviro) (thus this step and further is "opened) -so could be closed at end of that Working)
-opened bring to Here- Influence Here has done Needed Close it, Or Leave it Open to continue the Influence acting upon Here… (?)

I break that into two “level-degrees” (of intensity of Presence)- first would increase the (metaphor and literal) Portal Opening so rather than Energies act through it, the Entity(s) and feel-freq of that Place -steps through-
-felt as Physically present in a concrete way, but not as solidfied (just writing the above last paragraph and room dimmed and a feel a warmth-tingle goosebump-rush, and as wrote this sentence I feel a Presence looking over my shoulder- a digression, but so appropo. and as I mentioned above, distinctly felt, but like a Shadow or Affect of something/Someone- not a clearly defined SelfExistant Structured Form.

And Last the fully Xrds brought to Land and Transmute the Place of Working (not just you meeting half-way at the Xrds… but connecting back to where You … Are _Now, and they Step off that, and the Room reacts to that Presence (less of a pulling on your Awareness, and your energy flowing towards it… as now the Entity(s) and Energies from thru that Portal (sigil) is like a chair or a Person in your Room, your Awareness knows you don’t need flow your Attn and Energy towards them to sustain their Presence…

(vs being more a misting-wisp like if ignore the cluster/cloud in the incense or density in the atmos it begins to dissipate.) -much like types of thoughts- an “idea” coming-together, building and holding the focus, if anything distracts you and you “look away” from that focus you feel-sense-know that “thought” starts to breakdown (and you forget- what was I…?)… vs the Song that Keeps Going Over and Over in your head :slight_smile: or the thing you know you’ll do, and you think not now… and a few moments later the thought (ignored and yet…) when you look again, it hasn’t disipated, and even seems to move and connect to other “thoughts” on its own…

anyway- went into else, but I think that degree of its “opening” as well as a quick open-close in the same Rite (if enough affect) vs leaving it open… makes a difference to Amy Madison’s q? … also I have felt when tearing-ripping it up with the intention of letting go (like the forgetting feeling of dispersing the thought-links) vs just the physical act… as I’ve used that same Wiping the Slate Clean sense -into- a sigil that I sensed was Open (in printed Book, as well as On the Computer Screen)

• so I didn’t destroy physically, but that feeling, not “pretend” but actually changing the thinking (and perhaps actual nerve connections? as well as actual energetic fibers)? either way, my exper is it makes a difference and whether done or not- this makes me consider it a bit more, I’m curious of how Others might relate to these pts…

hmmm that is interesting. i never thought of it in that way…and i feel like this way may be good for me to do so i cut all ties with emotions of the final result

LOL…i just want to “evoke often”…i want to perfect this craft. i feel like once i do the evocation i should burn them and not keep them. in a way its an attachment having the sigil around after u set your commands. i think i will try this and see how it works for me

[quote="-TWF-, post:4, topic:1713"]Are you using the sigils for sigil magick or evocations?

If your using sigil magick I would keep the 3 sigil rule in play and not burn them until the task was completed as the sigil is the physical link the spirit works through.

Evocations don’t work by the 3 sigil rule, look at the Gatekeeper ritual as it has four sigils in use as well as the ritual in Baneful Magick where 9 spirits are summoned. The spirit doesn’t use the sigil during an evocation its more of a point of contact for the magician, the spirit manifests in the incense, mirror or whatever else you decide to use, it doesn’t need the physical link of the sigil as it has been called to work on this plane.[/quote]

im using the sigil for evocation but to cause change in the world. okay so for EVOCATIONS where u send out a spirit to perform a task, a sigil is not needed to be kept around, correct???

[quote=“taokua, post:5, topic:1713”]What -TWF- put above seems to follow what I sense (I notice when I have destroyed a sigil- actually tearing up to bits vs burning- I notice a strongly distinct disconnection feeling…)

earlier this yr when EA mentioned 3 sigils I was thinking, hm with all my ‘working notes’ here and there’ that would mean there are A Lot open… I picked them out and found a Stack… tore them all up and went and buried them in a stream bank (not as if burying junk, but burying a grave&planting a seed)
major feeling of (and it major stormed that night, like it did last night here actually)

Anyway what I’ve been thinking recently- there seem to be progressive stages that have a more integrated affect (tying it/interweaving it in your Energetic Field to more affect the world, less so= less enfused into your situation, but still acts indirectly) thus:
Communication/Contact to (questions, info- divination-Intell as well as get to know )
Starting with above further to Sigil magic of accessing that Power/Energy-Freq and/or the Entities there to send their influence to Here. (at end just finished) vs

Doing the above two steps, and then further that “calling forth&near” this would be Opening the Sigil as a Portal (gateway could use the material sigil is drawn upon as a Talis, or just as a place-in-space that reaches out into Enviro) (thus this step and further is "opened) -so could be closed at end of that Working)
-opened bring to Here- Influence Here has done Needed Close it, Or Leave it Open to continue the Influence acting upon Here… (?)

I break that into two “level-degrees” (of intensity of Presence)- first would increase the (metaphor and literal) Portal Opening so rather than Energies act through it, the Entity(s) and feel-freq of that Place -steps through-
-felt as Physically present in a concrete way, but not as solidfied (just writing the above last paragraph and room dimmed and a feel a warmth-tingle goosebump-rush, and as wrote this sentence I feel a Presence looking over my shoulder- a digression, but so appropo. and as I mentioned above, distinctly felt, but like a Shadow or Affect of something/Someone- not a clearly defined SelfExistant Structured Form.

And Last the fully Xrds brought to Land and Transmute the Place of Working (not just you meeting half-way at the Xrds… but connecting back to where You … Are _Now, and they Step off that, and the Room reacts to that Presence (less of a pulling on your Awareness, and your energy flowing towards it… as now the Entity(s) and Energies from thru that Portal (sigil) is like a chair or a Person in your Room, your Awareness knows you don’t need flow your Attn and Energy towards them to sustain their Presence…

(vs being more a misting-wisp like if ignore the cluster/cloud in the incense or density in the atmos it begins to dissipate.) -much like types of thoughts- an “idea” coming-together, building and holding the focus, if anything distracts you and you “look away” from that focus you feel-sense-know that “thought” starts to breakdown (and you forget- what was I…?)… vs the Song that Keeps Going Over and Over in your head :slight_smile: or the thing you know you’ll do, and you think not now… and a few moments later the thought (ignored and yet…) when you look again, it hasn’t disipated, and even seems to move and connect to other “thoughts” on its own…

anyway- went into else, but I think that degree of its “opening” as well as a quick open-close in the same Rite (if enough affect) vs leaving it open… makes a difference to Amy Madison’s q? … also I have felt when tearing-ripping it up with the intention of letting go (like the forgetting feeling of dispersing the thought-links) vs just the physical act… as I’ve used that same Wiping the Slate Clean sense -into- a sigil that I sensed was Open (in printed Book, as well as On the Computer Screen)

• so I didn’t destroy physically, but that feeling, not “pretend” but actually changing the thinking (and perhaps actual nerve connections? as well as actual energetic fibers)? either way, my exper is it makes a difference and whether done or not- this makes me consider it a bit more, I’m curious of how Others might relate to these pts…[/quote]

so for evocations of entities do u think its good to keep them or burn them right after the evocation is over, or is it best to keep them until the task is completed?

I would love to hear EA or Timothy weigh in on this conversation.

me tooooo. i wanna know what is the best thing to do. cuz i feel like waiting on results to burn a sigil is a hinderance because i want to evoke evoke evokeeeee!

Just evoke! Or, did you try asking the entities?

Take it from me… overthinking will take years off your life. If you got the ability to communicate with the entities, ask them. Even with EA and Timothy’s expertise, I think the entities will have the best idea on how to unlock their power, na’mean?! Not to sound pretentious, I just know it can be a MAAD headache overthinking it. I think way too much lol

you are right!!! ima just ask them

Make sure it is one you have worked with in the past so you dont get lied to. Interest to hear who you contact and what is said.

you are right!!! ima just ask them[/quote]

There are no rules. It’s a sigil. No big deal. If you can’t handle a focused intent with just one, then that needs your attention before successfully using more. The method of using them is entirely up to the Magickan. It really is pretty individual.

[quote=“Amy Madison, post:8, topic:1713”][quote="-TWF-, post:4, topic:1713"]Are you using the sigils for sigil magick or evocations?

Evocations don’t work by the 3 sigil rule, look at the Gatekeeper ritual as it has four sigils in use as well as the ritual in Baneful Magick where 9 spirits are summoned. The spirit doesn’t use the sigil during an evocation its more of a point of contact for the magician, the spirit manifests in the incense, mirror or whatever else you decide to use, it doesn’t need the physical link of the sigil as it has been called to work on this plane.[/quote]

im using the sigil for evocation but to cause change in the world. okay so for EVOCATIONS where u send out a spirit to perform a task, a sigil is not needed to be kept around, correct???[/quote]

If your using the sigil for an evocation you don’t need to keep it around like you would using sigil magick. The sigil was just to help you contact the spirit, it doesn’t act as a link to the work like it would in sigil magick.

If your going to contact the same spirit repeatedly I would keep it but other than that you could burn it.

Also UndeadGod has a good point, intention is everything. Some burn sigils to torture a spirit others do it to release it from a task. Know why your doing it and you should be fine.

yayyy! i love this advice and i am going to use it!!!

All good advice. If I’m doing multiple sessions with a spirit I’ll keep the sigil folded up until the next time I contact them. Usually this’ll end up being around three times and I’ll burn it after the last time, thanking the spirit for its advice/communication.

Interestingly, the last time I opened an Abramelin Square for money, after two weeks nothing happened so I decided it wasn’t working and burned the square, thanking the spirits associated, and this had the effect of me disconnecting from the desire, which in turn, seemed to allow the process to work, because I ended up with some money and opportunities coming my way pretty quickly thereafter. So, I understand where you’re coming from, Amy Madison.