⚠ Danger To Dogs: Common Essential Oils Named By Poison Control

This is a straight up re-post of a new story I saw tonight that I think is important, I wasn’t aware of any of this (we don’t use diffusers), and it seems like a growing problem:

Urgent warning as dogs ‘poisoned’ by a common household item - unable to recognise owner

The woman, Marianne Whyte, took to Facebook to raise awareness of the risk some diffuser oils may pose to pets. She described in terrifying detail her dog’s ill health.

… “It turns out that the tea tree oil I was using in the diffuser is toxic for dogs. Thankfully the test showed that his liver was ok but we weren’t out of the woods yet.

"He was given fluids under his skin to get the toxins out.”

She was given a stern warning by the vet about use of the oil, and told fellow Facebook users: “The vet and the poison control are saying that they see these cases often now that the popularity of essential oil is growing.

… She listed toxic essential oils for dogs.

The pet owner wrote: “Here is a list of essential oils not to use if you have a dog at home.

• Anise (Pimpinella anisum)
  • Birch (Betula)
  • Bitter Almond (Prunus dulcis)
  • Boldo (Peumus boldus)
  • Calamus (Acorus calamus)
  • Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora)
  • Cassia (Cassia fistula)
  • Chenopodium (Chenopodium album)
  • Cloves (Syzygium aromaticum)
  • Garlic (Allium sativum)
  • Goosefoot (Chenopodium murale)
  • Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana)
  • Hyssop (Hyssopus sp. with the exception of Decumbens)
  • Juniper (Juniperus sp. with the exception of Juniper Berry)
  • Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
  • Mustard (Brassica juncea)
  • Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
  • Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
  • Red or White Thyme
  • Rue (Ruta graveolens)
  • Santolina (Santolina chamaecyparissus)
  • Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
  • Savory (Satureja)
  • Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
  • Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
  • Terebinth (Pistacia palaestina)
  • Thuja (Thuja occidentalis)
  • Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)
  • Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
  • Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)”

There’s a lot of info online about this, as ever do your own research into specific situations and uses.

Also, given the time of year, remember that grapes, raisins (sultanas, currents etc) are highly toxic to dogs, they’re in a lot of seasonal foods:

And chocolate is another thing to watch out for, especially tree decorations:

https://www.petful.com/pet-health/how-much-chocolate-toxic-dogs/

18 Likes

I do not own a dog, but this is a damn good thread. Thanks, Eva!

6 Likes

Wow that’s a lot and good info!

2 Likes

Hey, I have to look out for the lycanthropes among us as well! :smiley:

I had NO idea about the oils, we don’t use them much, and this was the first warning I’ve seen. Given how incredibly sensitive a dog’s nose is, and that they can pick out parts per million of odours that no human could detect, I wonder whether blasting them with diffusers and other airborne scents is wise, they must be extremely overpowering. :thinking:

5 Likes

Great thread, adding a link for essential oils toxic to cats. Cats are even more prone to poisoning from essential oils due to their smaller body mass

5 Likes

Hey @Angelb1083 this is something that you would find very interesting. I know you work with oils a lot.

2 Likes

I can actually when I am functioning add what’s bad for guinea pigs etc. I have a list somewhere. But this is why I won’t touch them if I am using Cedar oil. It is really really bad for them.

I am all the time looks at lists before diffusing stuff.

There’s a book I need to get that has all the can and can’t use on animals too.

2 Likes

I can also back the grape up 100% with medical knowledge. As little as 3 grapes can kill a 100 dog. That was one of the first things I learn.

Oh and any cleaners with “sol” in it are highly deadly for cats both by air and if the walk through it.

2 Likes

Random bump for new members. :dog2: :heart: :dog:

3 Likes

I actually just bought my mom a diffuser for her birthday, and tea tree was one among six oils I also gave her. I’m going to forward this information to her right now.

I also am a dog owner and use oil diffusers. I’m very happy you brought this up!!

Thank you!

1 Like

I know it’s not a tutorial but it’s important, so added to the Unofficial Tutorials Directory.

1 Like

This may sound like a stupid question, but will this poison the dogs if they sniff it? Or if they come in bodily contact with it?

1 Like

From what I’ve read from multiple sources its if they ingest, inhale, or if you use it on their skin topically. So its just better to keep pets away from it altogether at this point. Its best to do your own research as well.

I’ve been researching on my own and there are so many oils that are considered toxic… each website providing a different list.

Ugh. I may have to put my diffuser to rest lol.

2 Likes