Could a car have a "spirit" of its own?

I’ve inherited two cars from deceased relatives. A truck 13 years ago from my mom’s cousin who sort of lived on the edge and got 5150’d alot, fought with cops etc and you could really feel the rage in this truck and it was souped out with 20k worth of customizations by him. The thing was like a tank, even had a roll cage inside and out with a front bumper having one of those metal things usually see on cop cars forget the name.

But yeah I felt his energy in that car and he told me he didn’t commit suicide like they all thought but instead accidentally overdosed and drank too much. Its a sad story but opposite in contrast to a car I recently inherited from my deceased grandmother who was a more gentler and kinder spirit compared and I did hear her speak to me while driving it and we had a conversation. She is very much attached to that car as she cared about it alot and wanted me to have it. The energy is really peaceful and protective and I feel watched over when I drive it.

I hope these two examples from my experience have helped you see how cars can have spirits and how the spirit of it’s previous owner can influence the energy of these automobiles.

4 Likes

It works with electronics like computers, too. If you talk to them, especially when they’re ‘acting up’.

4 Likes

when we were younger, my hubby flipped out because his computer tower was lagging hard. Threw his printer (was about to be scrapped anyhow thank goodness) across the room then glared at the tower, left the room to chill the heck out. He went back to using it and it acted brand new I swear.

3 Likes

It was like “aahh ok ok i’ll act better dont hurt me!” XD

1 Like

I honestly don’t know. As a general rule I tend to think that manufactured objects do not have spirits. Cars and computers can be sufficiently complex that their quirks and malfunctions can feel like a personality, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a spirit.

Crafted objects on the other hand, I believe can have a spirit. In particular I am thinking of swords. As a trained swordsman I can evaluate the general quality of a given blade by handling it, and there is definitely a quality to some antique blades, and it’s an entirely unearthly quality that’s completely absent from modern construction.

When you hold a sword that is singing into your heart that it wants so badly to taste blood, you cannot ignore this. Especially if you understand the precise motion it wants to perform, and you know how to do it. The qualities of the weapon just make it sooo easy to do. Just so naturally.

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised no one here has been talking about gremlins - the WWII kind. I keep gremlins around, so I can tell you that yeah. Vehicles can have spirits, and yeah. They will fight over that snail shell when thrust with another - they’re territorial. And yeah - they also love computers and anything really with electricity running through it. They will travel on the “air waves” so to speak.

And yeah. They are uuuggggleeeeee. But sweethearts when you learn to get along with them!

Also when they are your friends, learn to listen to them. My first car gremlin, creatively named Car (even though he was in a truck at the time), actually refused to open the door for someone I’d just met and was going to be friends with. I mean, he would NOT let the door open in an older vehicle that with manual everything. (Also was a stick drive.)

I should have listened, as that person was a pretty unhealthy individual.

Once traded in my vehicle. “I’m smothering in this new body!” Car said to me. Turned out the fuel filter was so full of rust the car couldn’t get any fuel.

Good guys to work with!

On the other hand, the banned user up there is partially correct with that. Some gremlins tend to break the same thing over and over again in a vehicle. In Car’s case it’s one of the signal lights. But I’ve learned that this is actually a sign that something is wrong with the engine. With the current body all has been fine and he has been happily silent.

Charlie, the office gremlin, on the other hand…

2 Likes

According to a theory I sometimes referred to (replying now because I previously missed the topic) not only everyone but everything has life as well, and is a magical entity; so this would apply to a car, and to its components too.

1 Like

That belief stems from more of a all natural things have a spirit, rocks, trees, streams, rivers, etc.

Of course a spirit can be bound to a car but I highly doubt a car inherently has a spirit and more just an amalgamation of energy signatures of all who went into making said car and it’s parts.

1 Like

I disagree, all cars have souls, they have what appear to be human faces (headlights, bumper) and mimic life forms, they eat, excrete, move, age, even grow (every respray), and finally decay… they can also protect life, or take it.

Honestly, I’m as gobsmacked by this as if it was asking if people from (insert country) have souls! :astonished:

3 Likes

Lol how does one compare to the other? O.o genuinely curious lol.

That I thought it was a known fact that Canadians, for example, have souls, and I also thought it was a known fact cars do. That neither can really be disputed.

1 Like

I think it’s a stretch attempt to compare saying a country of people have no souls to saying a car has no soul it’s no where near the same. A person(s) builds a birdhouse it leaves their energy signatures and such to it, but doesn’t inherently give the bird house a soul :thinking: a human builds their own home doesn’t give it a soul, how does a car get a soul? And it having “features” of a human I’m not sure that adds sense to it either.

Then again I can’t tell if you’re joking or honestly believe what you said :thinking: lol

1 Like

Houses have souls as well, and almost every group of people believed that, until the monotheists came along.

Many folk traditions have offerings for the house, when you move in, like boiling a pan of milk until it burns, burying something of value in the foundations to feed the house when it’s being built, and so on.

Anything with a face is going to have the kinds of souls which like to have faces, more than a desk or a hacksaw might have. Cars have faces and there’s no way manufacturers don’t know this, smaller cars usually have friendlier faces than big hulking 4x4’s. You could compare the front to a cartoonist’s tutorial on how to draw expressions and see what I mean.

Cars hit all the key markers for “what is a life form” apart from reproduction, though they actually reproduce memetically, using the human mind - one person has a car, so people who see it want one, and cause them to be built. Rich people have cars, so we start building things further apart, making more cars be created, from necessity.

Memetic reproduction (using the mind, and blocks of concepts) is a feature of Mercurial life forms.

Honestly believe it, but also find it amusing, and find humans asking if things have souls, things that I communicate with regularly, to be a bit like asking “Do Irishmen have souls?” or something. :smiley:

1 Like

Lol alright, though can’t say I agree but the comparison was a still a stretch since the country part is darn near xenophobia and saying a car doesn’t is no where near lol.

Could be I read too deep into it or the wording was iffy but yeah.

Like, jumping on a chair screaming because you saw an Irishman, and trying to whack him with a newspaper?

Yeah I think that’s a made-up thing to be honest.

It is when you consider you trust your life, and your family’s lives, to the same car over and over again, more than you do to for example a random Irishman.

Lol okay

What of stones?

I partially believe in animism in a sense that I personally believe that souls can be tethered to objects, but that is as far as I will go regarding things. I believe that energy is present in all things (can’t really deny that because there is a scientific basis to it), but that is as far as I will go relating to the “sentience” of inanimate objects. I guess at the end of the day there are many ways to define what a soul is and what it is composed of and I personally don’t think anyone can really come to a agreement aside from the fact that energy is one of those things.

3 Likes