Can someone give me a detailed explanation on the topic of enns?

Ill start out with how I got to this point. I have largely ignored the posts I have read here regarding enns. The spirits I typically work with dont have anything analogous. I figured it was just a particular way to call a spirit (usually a demon). As I have no issues calling spirits I payed little attention.

However last night, while giving an offering to Belial, he asked me to learn and use his enn. This confuses me, and im forced to come to the realization that I have no idea what an enn really is or what its for.

Im just going to ask a few questions to help me understand better.

1. What is an enn?
  2. What is an enn used for?
    3.When did enns first enter into public-knowledge? (Is it a revelation of EA & Friends or another author)?
  3. Any thoughts about enns you would like to share to someone inexperienced?

Im learning that this is something particular to demons. They really are so different from my normal entourage.

I know I could search here on the forum and I have. Idk if this is just me but the search function here never really seems to bring me what I want, and I also dont want to pick through 20 threads for a few good posts. Feel free to link me any that answer these questions, or would be good for a beginner to learn from though.

Id like to make this thread unique from the others on the topic by focusing deeper on the subject than most others. I wont be satisfied by a “they just like it” answer. Of course I will be asking Belial about this also, and I will post anything I find interesting here.

3 Likes

1: An enn is a mantra in the demonic tongue.

2: Enns are used for invoking the energy of a specific demon, either as a prayer, meditation, or as an invitation for it to appear.

3a: Enns come from the religious practice of demonolatry, and they first came to public knowledge when the personal diaries of a demonolator by the name of Alexander Willits were published in the late 1500’s. Willits was the first to coin the term, and the legend of their origin is that they were given by the demons themselves.

3b: Note: Demonolators consider evocation to be the summoning by force, so when they talk about summoning a demon, they tend to use the word invoking instead, which they define as extending an invitation to the demon, rather than commanding it, to appear (this is not the traditional definition, so confusion abounds for newbies).

4: Modern demonolators seem to now use the term “enn” to refer to any mantra used to help summon a spirit, hence people on this forum, and on the interwebs in general, asking for the enns of gods and angels, types of entities to which the word does not actually apply.

4b: Not all demons have enns, or, if they do, not all are currently known.

Note: Some magicians here have mentioned that certain demons dislike their enns,

13 Likes

Great answer thank you. 1500’s, thats certainly a lot early than I had been thinking. My thoughts right now are how similar demons are to people. Certainly far different from my usual et dimensional things. I guess a lot of what I took for granted as being universal isnt necessarily the case. At least in the future I need to consider the culture of the entities im interacting with more than I have been.

1 Like

One mistake some people make is thinking that enns are necessary in order to evoke a demon. However, they are not. I have no issues with summoning demons, and I never use the demonolatry enns because I don’t like them.

Note: In the Gatekeeper pathworking of EA Koetting, Belial has a chant, Itz Ra Cha Belial, which he calls his Song. I enjoy using that, but not his enn.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to his enn? Or could you post that? I have no issues with my communication or anything but if they like them I might as well use them.

1 Like

We have multiple threads that list all the known demonolatry enns so if you need one for a specific demon, a quick search will bring them up.

1 Like

I tried, I mostly found debates lol. I appreciate this.

1 Like

I have to say I like some enns. I like Belial’s. Dantalion’s too. But I cannot put a finger on why other than they put me in a trance. I think it’s a rhythm thing as I am definitely clairaudient. I work well with words of power too. Just chanting the demon’e name over and over doesn’t put ME in a deep enough trance.

1 Like

Which beings dislike their enns?

There is an allround enn to summon any infernal:

Reayha bakana lyan reme quim (… Name…)

:snake:

2 Likes

Do you know Which demons

I Need to keep that in mind

This should be counted as personal gnosis of the practitioner, and nothing to stress over unless the demon you are trying to summon tells you personally. Sometimes you may even get an alternative ‘enn’ :open_mouth: I have used the majority of the goetia enns with no problem or complaint once so ever. Keep in mind the background from which the enns came from: demonolatry, which is very, very ‘respectful’ to demons.

3 Likes

I don’t use enns. The have a religious-y prayer/hymn feel for me and I dislike them. I realise some tools that were developed in a religious context are too useful to ignore, but enns isn’t one of them.

1 Like

This was pretty much my initial feeling of it. If not for Belial asking me himself I would never have made this thread. I dont mind the religious aspect though. Working chaos magick means I can pick that up and not let it consume me.

I read here that Asmodeus doesn’t like his enn, though he has no problem with a practitioner using it to begin first communications with him, as long as they drop it after the initial connection has been made.

Ah, “of passion”. Its always good to see that. When you have lost passion for most things you are like walking dead. That’s pretty much how I feel these days. I’ve stopped calling on beings but a mere thought or mention can bring them by. The way i figure it… they can ring me up and maybe I’ll answer. It just seems more fulfilling without aid of any sort. Paradox is… I’m like a uncaring zombie most of the time.

Passion was great for a while.

1 Like