Books on Beelzebub

Trying to find out more of this elusive God. Very interested in the fact that the original spelling of his name meant “God of the High Places” and was distorted into “Lord of the Flies”.

In the Bible, we hear of this God being used for divinitory practice as well as driving out unclean spirits. This makes me wonder, what can’t this God do? I am in my early stages of prepatory immersion, and am unsure if I want to continue with Beelzebub or go with one of the other Gods that have been calling me, so more reading material is required.

BALG’S Grimoire of Beelzebub looks slightly fascinating but is out of my price range. The preview didn’t really leave me wanting more.

Then there’s Legion 49, which is mainly sigils and has little academic/practical info on the God.

Last but far from least is the Baal Kadmon book Beelzebub: A History. This has proven the most valuable resource, both from a historical and practical perspective.

Apart from all these sources, I have read the threads on here dedicated to him.

So now I ask you, what resources do you have on the God. And if you have any experiences or UPG, please post that as well.

Yes, Beelzebub being the rude epithet given to the Philistine god Ba’al Zebul. (Ba’al means “Lord” and is his title not actually a part of his name.) Zebul - Encyclopedia of The Bible - Bible Gateway

If you use that name instead you might get more resources. Try different spellings as זְבֻ֣ל gets translated many different ways.

ZEBUL ze’ bəl (זְבֻ֣ל, meaning dominion, habitation, elevation, height, lofty abode, perhaps an abbreviation of “(God’s) dwelling” or (“Baal-Zebul”). Zebul was a pre-Philistine god of Canaan, “the Lord of the earth,” mentioned often in the Ras Shamra (Ugaritic) texts (q.v.). 1. Zebul in the OT was the lieutenant of Abimelech (q.v.), the son of Gideon who was chosen as king by a group of Canaanites in Shechem (Judg 9:28). Zebul is called “officer,” פָּקִיד, H7224, in Judges 9:28, or שַׂר־הָעִ֔יר, in Judges 9:30. There was local opposition to Abimelech and a certain Gaal uttered seditious words during a vintage festival saying that he would remove Abimelech (9:27-29). Zebul informed Abimelech at Arumah (9:41) and advised him to surround Shechem by night. In the morning Gaal, seeing the troops, reported an invasion to Zebul who, recognizing Abimelech’s men, urged Gaal to make good his words. Gaal sallied forth (v. 39), but was quickly routed.

1. The root zbl in Ugaritic means “exalted,” “princely,” or, as a noun, “prince,” and zbl b’l is a name for Baal-Baal the princely one (Baalzebul).

These meanings seem to be required in 1 Kings 8:13, “exalted house”; Isaiah 63:15, “holy and glorious habitation”; Hab 3:11 “their habitation.” In Psalm 49:15 “loftiness” is contrasted with the grave.

“Ba’al Zebul: The Lord of the Manor - Steve Seven” comes up in searches (I have not got it though).

The compendium includes a discussion of this history by Baal Kadmon, I actually like the contributing authors works more than the main working on this one, myself, so if you ever get it I would get the compendium not the cheaper single.

1 Like