Being a 90s kid

Another great thing about the 90s.

4Bocgrp305juU

4 Likes

No shells suits, but I was just in time for the grunge look, and I’ve got totally the wrong figure for it, also the wrong hair, I spent the whole of that era when I SO badly wanted to look like a stick insect, with a dress layered over slouchy jeans and a little tiny belly top, with my boobs getting bigger every day, and I just genetically have the wrong body shape.

I tried this kind of thing so many times, and just looked like a sack of spuds…

ALL these pictures are what was totally in fashion in my formative years, and not a single one of them suits my body shape and general look, actually it’s no wonder I’m such a fucking psycho! :laughing:

1 Like

no way! the love fashion trends! I don’t like baggy jeans, but jheri curls, flannel shirts, etc! I love that stuff

2 Likes

Do you have any fashion traumas? :smiley:

3 Likes

Aaaww, the 80’s! I’m glad I grew up in the 80’s as a child. Anyone remember He-Man, the G I Joe’s, SKY Channel and the Fun Factory channel? Oh, me and my brother collected a lot of Garbage Pail Kids back in the days. The smell of newly opened plastic toys were special, too. And we were probably the last generation that actually played OUTSIDE, instead of having computers and iPads babysitting the kids of today.

I think a lot of “Gen X”-ers are pretty frustratrated with the Millenials today. What happened with some of you!? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Those (what came up when I googled “shell suit”) look suspiciously like the phenomena known as tuulipuku in Finland, that some people erroneously believe can be worn when not jogging, running or riding a bike

3 Likes

Lots! My Mother used to cut my hair around a basin when I was a child, same with my Brother. Remember the basin cuts?
Skirts with Braces worn with one green fluorescent sock and one pink fluorescent sock.

As a early teen, I did grunge too for a very short while… then I tried Goth. Then the Supermodel era started and everyone copied Kate Moss and Johnny Depp.

The worst makeup was in fashion when I was 16. Very pale pink lipstick with dark brown lip liner. It looks shocking on all my early teen photos80s

Not me in any pics, but very similar fashion / make up80s%20fashion

1 Like

Being a millennial, I can attest to playing outside as a kid most of the time. Granted that outside was the woods that started about 20 meters from my backyard and included archery and immaterial playmates occasionally, but still… Might have something to do with internet being bloody expensive at the the time and video games only getting good enough to play for more than an hour in my teens…
Though the meaning of millennial appears to change every time I google it

1 Like

I bet you are!! show off! lol

If you did not have one of these shell suits in the Uk i the early 90’s, you where a social pariah. :joy:

2 Likes

I too was born in 97 and the 90s were ok but come on 2000s GBA beginnings of the internet american Dragon Jake long… need I say more?

3 Likes

Yeah, the Finnish word for that is tuulipuku, though the majority I’ve seen are white and blue. For some reason you tend to come across them annoyingly often in small town bars

2 Likes

You mean to say they still exist? yikes

2 Likes

We actually spended most time of our 90’s doing this

4 Likes

Well, they ARE/(were?) supposed to be essentially wind resistant sportswear. In the proper context (and not eye-searing color) their not that bad

2 Likes

Were you high by any change? :thinking:

2 Likes

No lol

2 Likes

I remember that! :rofl:

And that brown lipstick the Spice Girls used to wear that looks trendy in a video with all the lighting, and fucking awful on a grey British street at 3pm in November. :imp:

Oh gods, what were we/they thinking…

Mind you I’ve still got a soft spot for fluorescent bed socks. :blush:

This, casual, “I just threw things on because I’m a fae child of nature” shit used to trigger the fuck out of me, and it’s one of my stongest memories of 90’s clothing, when grunge crossed over into that heroin chic look:

bjork

THIS is my comfort zone (not me in photo), proper lines and everything organised, my OCD sighs happily and shuts the fuck up…

smart%20suit

3 Likes

Matte brown lipstick, I forgot about that.:face_vomiting: I used Papillons (remember those?) to curl my hair too I think we look better now we have gotten older then. No odd fashions for me now, I like the Hobbs English style, quite tailored.

I would rather have what we had though than the pressure these days for teens to have boob jobs and Botox and lip injections… My niece is 20 and has had all of this and most of her friends.

1 Like

You are not Bjork? Hm :wink:

1 Like