Barang, bulong, kulo

Hey, guys.

Just wanna ask if anyone here practices barang, bulong, kulo, or other forms of Filipino folk magick. In this corner of the planet, it’s pretty weird that our gateway magickal knowledge comes from Wicca and not from our rich indigenous occult traditions.

2 Likes

Friendly reminder: please do not share stolen copyright material on the BALG public forums.

Free ebooks are fine. Just keep it legal please.

And if you can I encourage everyone to support our occult authors when you can, there’s no money in books so it’s a labour of love that we want them to keep doing, so give them some love back. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Oof, sorry about that!

tagging @LavenderLatency into this, if I remember correctly they’ve been at least curious about traditional filipino folk practices.

2 Likes

To clarify:

1. Barang is the practice of placing insects, worms, needles, rice, or other tiny objects inside a target’s body via witchcraft;

2. Bulong literally means ‘whisper’, so it’s basically whispering a curse to someone; and

3. Kulo/laga is boiling a person’s taglock, usually clothes, to cause discomfort or illness.

Have you guys done any of these, even if you used other methods/magickal traditions?

5 Likes

Thanks for the tag @A_Pariah!

1 Like

You might like the book “Cebuano Sorcery” by Richard Lieban. It goes into more details of types of filipino magic.

For example on one page it explains how barang is performed in the following excerpt: “The sorcerer keeps his barang animals (for example, beetles) in a bamboo tube. On Friday at noon, preferably during or near the period of the last phase of the moon called himatayon (aka the dying moon), the sorcerer makes sure that he is alone, and he writes the name and address of his intended victim on a sheet of paper which he drops into the tube. After a time, he looks into the tube to see if the paper has been consumed by the animals. If it has, this is the first sign that the animal will accept the assignment of the sorcerer”.

I haven’t tried any of the spells yet, but it’s the closest book online that I could find that explained barang.

1 Like

My goodness that’s a terrifying thing to know about.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I wonder what incantations or prayers they use, though.

2 Likes

Good question. Well, after the insects eat the paper, the sorcer dips a branch of the kalmongay tree into the tube and says “Those who will obey my commands may come up”. Then insects will climb up the branch. The sorcer next ites a piece of white thread to each animal, around the seventh, rear leg if they are insects.

Instructions to the animals follow, the sorcerer repeating the name and andress of the intended victim, providing an exact description of him, and telling the animals to bite the victim"

1 Like

Yep, I just got a copy of the book. But I’m sure there are secret (broken) Latin orations, knowing that most of those practices have been syncretized with Catholicism.

1 Like