Are Lucifer and Melek Taus technically the same being?

Melek Taus is connected to Azazel only by name, and his story is what connects him to Lucifer.

There is so much confusion due to the fact of how the adversary of God has developed within Islam, and later stretched on. Iblis is a character whose traits are composed of the jinn, the story of Lucifer, and the name of Azazel, mixed in with their own special twists. This very Islamic idea has been an influence, and can be seen intertwined within the Yezidi faith and Melek Taus.

Melek Taus is another version of Iblis who is just another version of Lucifer. Only, rather than being perceived as an adversary, he is seen in a good light, as well as having his own little special twists.

There could most likely be other factors/beings that have helped shape Melek Taus, but that is something I have yet to discover.

2 Likes

Lucifer has been ingrained in quite a many mythologies where he doesnā€™t belong, Iblis under shaitan=Satan would link him to Satanael not Lucifer. Even then the connection to lucifer is iffy at best and mostly pushed by LHP authors along with various other entities even Azazel is called a mask of Lucifer.

2 Likes

I would understand that if it werenā€™t for the fact that the story of Lucifer comes from a religion that is under the Abrahamic faiths, which Islam falls under, which Yazidism is known to stem from. Itā€™s not like when someone would mash a Polynesian deity with an Egyptian deity. The cultures and their religions literally neighbor each other. Influence is documented. I do agree with that when people say heā€™s Shiva or Lugh or Pan or etc. Especially considering the fact that while these deities have always been an actual being, Lucifer as an entity was not even a thing until works of fiction were so good that humans made him be so. So any connections with that are just forced.

However, if one looks at the story of Lucifer, then the story of Iblis, then the story of Melek Tausā€¦there is no way the similarities can be missed. The way the details cross over to create the foundational characteristics of these characters are rather obvious.

Also: while Iblis is Shaitan, he wouldnā€™t be connected to Satanael. Satanael is actually a much, much later creation. It would actually give him that connection to Samael for having his title, the same way Lucifer is connected to Samael for having his name wrapped up in Samaels title. And, again, Iblis taking on the role of Shaitan just as Lucifer is said to have taken the role of Satan in his story further proves the influence.

4 Likes

According to the official Yazidi website, Melek Taus has its origins in n South India and is the same deity as Murugan, one of Shivaā€™s sons. He is also associated with the peacock. There is probably no real link there with Abrahamic or Roman deities, infernal or otherwise, though ISIS have used the slander of devil-worship to murder, rape, enslave and persecute Yazidis in the Middle East. Most of the remaining ones now live in Armenia and West London in the UK

Melek Taus is this strange amalgamation of Lucifer (as we know him today), Azazel, and the demiurge. Only when Melek Taus fell, he was eventually given redemption.

Iā€™ve been working with Melek Taus for about a year and can say with fair certainty (as far as my UPG is certain) that he is indeed a form of Lucifer. But he is also a form of Azazel. But that doesnā€™t mean Azazel is necessarily a form of Lucifer.

I know the Feri Tradition of Witchcraft sees Melek Taus and Lucifer as the same and the Gnostic influences on the Yazidi make it even muddier. So take from that what you want.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious, please do tell me what makes you think so, are their energies similar?

1 Like

Their energies are identical to me. There are difference in them. But itā€™s like ā€¦If you have a pepperoni pizza and a veggie pizza both sitting in front of you, you still know without a doubt that they are both still pizza.

Plus the myth itself is pretty obvious to me. Most beloved of the angels. Kicked out because he wouldnā€™t bow down to mankind.

Biblically speaking in modern common understanding, Satan and Lucifer are the same. And the bible says Satan is is the God of this world. The Yazidi say the same of Melek Taus. Which is also where the Gnostic influence comes in.

4 Likes

Azazilā€™s story correlates to Melek Tausā€™ as well though. Through my own research, the connection between the two is not purely by name. I will also say that many aspects of Azazilā€™s story parallelā€™s to Luciferā€™s as well, especially the Islamic version which makes things all the more confusing.

In Islam there is actually a belief floating around that Iblis will eventually be redeemed on the day of judgement (the Sufis especially believe in this idea). You have to keep in mind that Iblis was also treasured by Allah very similar to Lucifer and fell for the same reasons.

Allah favored and viewed Iblis so highly that he was elevated to a highly ranked angel or was made into one depending on which variation you want to follow. There is even another variation of his story where Azazil/Al Harith was Iblisā€™ name prior to descending into a jinn, which expresses the idea that Iblis was an angel prior to being jinn.

So overall not only is Azazil specifically another name of Melek Taus (via The Black Book), but they also share quite a few aspects as well. In the same vein Melek Taus, Azazil, and Lucifer seem to all be interconnected to varying degrees. Perhaps Lucifer is an aspect of Melek Taus, but I have no doubts that Azazil would also be one as well.

The last thing I want to mention is that the Abrahamic faiths and Yazidism are heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism which is a faith that is considered to be just as old as Hinduism. With this said, Zoroastrianism and Hinduism share a lot of terminology and most likely influenced one another as time went on due to their interactions that started through trade.

4 Likes