Analyzing the LBRP

Everyone in occult and their grandmas heard of this ritual by this point. I have been doing it on and off over a year now, and I suppose I can dissect the ritual, lets see if I can.

Its called lesser, because we are working with lower energies, even the pentagram is the earth pentagram.

download

LBRP is mostly used for sterilizing the ritual space, shining the auric egg, and it also can be used to gain ones own magickal authority. However, repeated LBRP will banish everything you don’t need over time. ‘Friends’, addictions, distractions, your bad qualities… List can go on.

When you perform the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, you start with visualizing yourself as larger than life, to gain authority, then, you visualize a bright point above you, we can associate that light to many things, ones own divinity, God, source, etc. Then we vibrate the word Atah (means “To Thou, Essence.”) after carrying the light to our heads. Then you feel and visualize this light going inside your body, to the soles of feet, which is associated with Malkuth. After that, we complete the cross by balance of forces that rule the universe, Geburah and Gedulah, which are sephiras of Geburah and Chesed, respectively. Then we affirm the Eternity by saying, Le Olahm, Amen - “To the Ages of Ages, so be it.”

Next, we cleanse the four quarters of the Universe with pentagrams of earth made of fire, affirming the practitioner as the mirror of the divinity, and with the ability to control the elements through spirit, which is top point of these pentagrams. The deity names will echo through your working space with you being the divine authority. Since you are on the middle, you also create the symbol of the sun combined with the sphere of pentagrams you created. Sun represents the center of the universe in these types of workings.

Now I am pretty sure I could delve into much more mysteries if I tried to analyze why we say the Godnames when we ignite these pentagrams and their connection, but maybe later, I am not that good at the moment.

We got the names of Assiah now, and now we will contiuner into evoking the archangels, which are on Briah.

You, the spirit, being in the middle, you evoke the archangels with their associated elements. Mind you, this is the association of the Golden Dawn and might not work in another current that good, in Golden Dawn, it is good enough. Archangels are associated with their respective colors, which also make up for the colors of Malkuth, albeit not in all descriptions of it. Then we declare our authority one again by saying ‘For about me who flames the pentagram, and within me shines the six rayed star’. These last sentences change a lot though.

We finish by repeating the Qabalistic Cross. Now, you may wonder why do we start from east. That is because, in Golden Dawn, Sun represents the divinity, God, whatever you wanna call it. So, like sun, we revolve too. We start and end in the east.

I may update this, if I find anything interesting enough. Thanks for reading.

11 Likes

Good breakdown of the rite, be interested to see you do the same for the middle pillar.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, Middle Pillar is my next on the list, then I am thinking of doing the Greater Rituals of Pentagram. I will take my time for it though. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Refreshing to see something added that deepens the understanding of the ritual for all of us.

2 Likes

Do you mind delving into why we say Godnames when we ignite the pentagrams? Personally, I feel that it strengthens my connection with divinity and solidifies the pentagram. I feel the power behind the Godnames and imbue that power into the pentagram and intone the name throughout the universe in the direction of the pentagram. I don’t think the specific Godnames matter, as long as I can feel the power behind the name. For now, I use the original Golden Dawn LBRP and LIRP with a few minor tweaks, but it’s pretty much the same

2 Likes

Yes, also there is a little trick.

Except for YHVH, which can be used for any element, all 3 godnames are used for not their associated elements but the opposing elements.

Adonai is associated with Earth through the god-name Adonai ha-Aretz. We use it in fire pentagram.

Eheyeh is associated with breath so associated with Air too. We use it in water pentagram.

AGLA is short for Ateh Gibor le-Olam Adonai, Gibor, if I understand correctly, is the root of sephira Geburah, which is associated with fire. We use it in earth pentagram.

Notice how we used those three excatly of their opposites? My best guess is this helps for the banishing, and with a slight tweak, by putting those to their original places, LIRP could be much stronger. At least at invoking but it will be less banishing if you do so.

3 Likes

Huh. That…is actually the thing that was bugging me in my changing of the LBRP lately. I wasnt sure what order to put the god names since I switched the elements and angels around.

I start in the south(earth - uriel) and go clockwise for invoking to water (west gabriel) air (north - raphael) and ending at fire(east - michael) before returning to south. For banishing I simply go counter clockwise. I’ll definitely try out the godnames in the elemental order you suggest and see how it changes things.

2 Likes

Lbrp has quite blind spots that really bugs off lots of practitioners, the clockwise-counterclockwise thing is one of them alongside elements and archangels and godnames. If I remember correctly, Golden Dawn switched two of the elements that I couldn’t remember which.

Maybe @DarkestKnight and @Dralukmun could chime in on the subject.

I suggest you should do whatever suits you. It takes off from the rituals potential when practitioner is disturbed from blind spots.

1 Like

They switched water and air. Historically it should be earth - water - air - fire but they use earth - air - water - fire. Another thing the GD does that I dont agree with is using the earth banish invoking with all its pentagrams. Ive started using each elements respective pentagram. Ive only started trying out this new form a few days ago so I’m still not 100% sure on its effects.

1 Like

Good point, their justification for this was that earth element was ‘lowly’. Which makes for a potential trouble considering that humans are made of the 4 elements both gross and sublte. People can disagree, thats fine. But I didn’t see any people pointing out of an imbalance trouble when they repeated LBRP.

First off, I do completely agree with you that individuals should use what seems appropriate for them. Experimenting is a valuable part of what we do and often leads to better solutions for us than what we get right out of a book.

As for the order of the elements and angels, I think we need to pick apart one of the influences of the Golden Dawn, mainly Hermetic Quabalah, which predates the group. Quabalah refers to a philosophy build upon the philosophies of many systems, the three big ones being Kabbalah, Cabalah, and Alchemy. Focusing on the Kabbalah influence in particular, the four elements probably were used to represent the four “Worlds” which are the following: Assiah (the physical, which would represent Earth), Yetzirah (Formation, which I have found tables that associate this with Air), Beri’ah (Creation, associated with water), and Atziluth (the Emanations of God aka the sephirots, fire). There is also a fifth world called the Adam Kadmon, which is essentially the point where man reaches God, which could have translated into that state of authority one comes to when performing LBRP where they stand as a creator of their own reality. This is the order I choose to use person.

As to why the Golden Dawn chose the order that they did, I cannot really say. Ideas and practices change over time. The Kabbalah gained in popularity in the medieval period. Cabalah emerged as a Christian verison of it later on to try to delegimize the jews. With the rise of the Enlightenment period, Hermetics became popular among other schools of thought, giving rise to the Qabbalah and the Qlipoth. Seeing as the Golden Dawn rose in the 19th century, they more than likely drew on multiple systems into their rituals. The idea of involving the four Greek classical elements could be a representation of the four stages to create the philosopher’s stone, if they were really heavy on the alchemy side of things.

So, my point in laying down all this history is to make a similiar point as @anon84423462 did: systems, much like ideas, change over time. So, my advice for everyone is don’t get caught up in doing things the “right” way. Try a method out and see how it works. If it doesn’t, alter something and see where that takes you. Ultimately, you will be following the same practice many people have through the course of history, trial and error for the sake of results and discovery. And that is the closest anyone can get to the “right way” including the creators of said systems.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have to try this out

Nice, my friend. Apologies for taking so long to go back over this. You’ve done a great job breaking it all down, man :+1:

2 Likes

No problem, man, glad you liked it :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Ooh please finish this and delve into those god names!! Awesome post!

The God names have qualities in Hebrew expressing a function of God or like an angel name means something… for instance Jehovah Jireh (sp?) is talking about a provider nature of God

There’s actually a Christian song I remember from days back in Christianity that will probably be nobody’s cup of tea here but it had the Hebrew names and then the English meaning of those names after

> Blockquote

Don’t click on the link unless you wanna hear a exoteric Christian worship song and it’s a little into it and basic but back in my days of that when it would be sung in a church it sometimes got “added to” with other Hebrew names of God and the quality of that Hebrew name by worship leaders

And I’m sure OP knows this, just for anyone else it might be interesting to know… That in Hebrew the names translate to a quality of personality or a function

1 Like

A small update

Four lettered godnames and four pentagrams could be associated to Chesed, pentagrams could be associated to Geburah, and the six rayed star could be associated to Tiphareth. Makes up for a nice balance.

images - 2021-03-26T210210.518

4 Likes