Altar : basic questions

^O^/ WOOT! theb you’ll like the updated version too. Hopefully you can tell a difference lol

3 Likes

Congratulations you are really good, I do not know what you do, but I think you have a talent in the field of “ornamental art”.

1 Like

As soon as I finish my altar I will show you a photo, at the moment I delegate to others what to buy me for a temporary altar, since I was run over, and I have a complex fracture of the tibia :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you!. Id like to learn how the japanese do their ornamental decorations too. I do floral and pine wreaths when the mood strikes. Gets my artsy side a spin every once in a while. I hope you feel better soon. That is crazy that you got rub over​:weary_cat: I am so sorry to hear that. Wishing you speedy recovery.

My altar right now is a windowsill, lol. All it has is the little dish that I put offerings in and my deck of playing cards that I use for divination. I can use a curtain to keep things discreet while I’m still a noob. However, I do intend to move the altar to a small table once I finish crafting some things that I want to use in my occult practices.

1 Like

I think it’s a good solution for you :slight_smile:
I take advantage of this answer to thank all those who answered my question about altar, as far as the “ritual” that on the other hand I did not do or think I will do, I prefer to keep silent, the fact that almost no one responds comments alone, I wonder if I would ask about buying BOOKS on BOOKS how many answers I would receive …! I`m not sure I want to stay on this Forum for several reasons, including what is on the web on your Site/Forum, such as Reddit… that is clear everyone in my opinion is free to do, think, say etc., freely, YOU included, but me too, and if I have to write like an idiot without anyone helping me, I prefer to find other Forums, on the other hand if you look in your forum is unbelievable the “heavy” things that you read, so my request is ridiculous comparison to the rest … anyway thanks to everyone for your answers for the altar

Honestly, a little portable TV tray can serve as an altar, especially if you can’t place a permanent down for whatever reason, like if you have family or friends that wouldn’t be accepting. You can also use any cup or glass as a Chalice, any knife (even a steak knife) as an Athame. You can be surprisingly discrete if your circumstances and / or simplistic, if your circumstances require it. Just putting it out there. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, please do stop by the introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself. It’s required as a rule: Introduce Yourself To Members Of The Forum

Glad to have you!

1 Like

I’ve seen pictures of altars on here. Impressive. My question is are those altars dedicated to a specific demon? Or are those altars generally dedicated to all demons?

I’ve seen LHP statues of specific demons, grimoires, candles, etc, so I’m a bit confused. Some clarification would be helpful so I can assemble one when the time comes.

Those who practice a religious form of magick, like demonolatry, or Wicca, sometimes have one “working” altar, that is used for ritual, and another separate one dedicated to their specific patron demon/god/anteater, where offerings are kept and petitions and prayer are made.

However, you can also have an “all purpose” altar that is dedicated to black magick in general, without having to choose a specific spirit.

The altar used in Works of Darkness by EA Koetting, for example, is dedicated to the Powers of Darkness.

4 Likes

The all purpose altar seems like the approach I’ll take. I’m assuming a demonic statue for instance wouldn’t be needed but a few tools perhaps. Would I be correct in that a ritual can be done with an “all purpose” altar dedicated to black magick while summoning the spirit of my choosing?

And Works of Darkness I’ll certainly learn from it along with Evoking Eternity.

1 Like

Statues are generally symbolic, and can either be used as a representative of a specific spirit, or as a representative of the demonic generally. Or it can simply be because you like it.

One thing to keep in mind is that, in ceremonial magick, the altar serves a different purpose than the altar in a religious system like demonolatry. Most of what you see in the Altar thread, for example, are pictures of altars dedicated to specific spirits, like Lucifer, Lilith, Satan, and the like.

In ceremonial magick, the altar is dedicated to whatever powers one works with, and is generally used only for ritual. It is where your tools are kept when you perform magick, and some even have cupboards below where the tools can be stored afterwards, if you are not lucky enough to be able to leave them out in your temple.

1 Like

Should you decide to get a statue for your altar it doesnt have to be limited to one diety, although the two should be on the same page.

For example, I love what Baphomet represents. And right now I’m really onboard with Lord Shiva. The two can share an altar as they “get along” with one another. …so I’m told. Mind you I got that advice from the shop I was lookin’ to buy them from so… Hahahha she may have just been tryin to make a sale! Hahahaha

Thank you.

2 Likes

Understood. In my case a demonic statue isnt necessarily required but optional, so a simple black magick altar with some tools and candles would be alright it seems. For a while i thought I needed a huge altar with several statues lol

1 Like

Nope :slight_smile:

Offerings aren’t used in EA’s system, so the altars in both Evoking Eternity, and Works of Darkness are pragmatic.

1 Like

I might for the aesthetic appearence but I’ll keep this tip in mind.

1 Like

Great :slightly_smiling_face: This was a relief lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the Feedback :slight_smile:
But,sorry, are you talking to me:morbius?
Because I’ve already taken that step,to introduce myself.. and you want that I tell you more about myself,for my taste I’ve said enough about me!So please what..!?

1 Like

Good morning,

Just checking in once more. I’m not expecting a long reply (you explained enough) but as for tools for a general black magick altar, what would you say are tools to have? I don’t exactly have huge space but I can make way.

All I can think of for tools right now are candles, offering bowl, wine, and scrying mirror. I’m not sure of the candle coloring since each spirit has a preferred color as far as I’m aware. Are the colors really important? Would white or black candles be alright?

I may be overthinking it lol, but anything else? Thanks

Tools depend on the system you are working within. However, in ceremonial magick, the most basic tools are a knife/athame, and candles.

Some systems, like Golden Dawn, also require a wand.

Candle colours are, again, dependant upon the system you are working in. The Golden Dawn, for example, has a very long list of colour correspondences, and almost every form of witchcraft has something similar.

For basic black magick, black candles are the usual, but really, any colour can be used. In Works of Darkness, EA recommends three colours, black, red, and indigo, and in his book on baneful magick, he provides curses that use yellow, brown, green, and blue candles.

Black candles are a good start, though, and you can get other colours when they are needed. I have evoked elementals, demons, and angels, all with the same sky blue candles, though, because they were all I had, so don’t stress overly much if you can’t find a certain colour.

1 Like

Different systems. Interesting. If I’m correct, those systems are still considered LHP but utilize different methods?

You and EA seem to have the answers to it all. Thanks again.