A fun one for levity

So topic - Meghan James of Purity Ring. Who does she remind you of? When I see people with hypercompetencies in various areas (music, sports, science, etc.) I’m always curious on which god form fits them best.

I sense a bit of Agrat bat Malat in that one, ie. she’s a heck of a mind-hacker (white hat thankfully), but I’m open to anyone else’s take.

Not sure why humans can’t have credit for being creative beings and their skills and artistry have to be credited to some random “god” myself? …

I’ve never heard of this person, but I would assume she’s worked hard and earned her chops. It’s kind of insulting to give that away, no? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this person, but I would assume she’s worked hard and earned her chops. It’s kind of insulting to give that away, no?

I’m sure of that.

I guess my tendency is to consider deities, even assuming the possibility that they’re autonomous of human minds, have archetypal existence and it’s interesting to tinker with ideas on how those things fit.

For example, with me and I think most people, it’s a mystery at times where inspiration comes from, similarly it can be difficult to tell for certain whether it’s all or just most epiphany that comes from crunching historic data. Enough times as well it can seem like artwork can take on all sorts of synchronicity and clairvoyant aspects (especially in videos) when the author is ‘jacked in’ and they’re talking about something that’s a core issue of existence in a really monolithic way (like the masks several months before Covid in Grimes and Io’s Violence).

So really the spirit of the thread’s more about archetypes than about Meghan (or at least that’s the intent).

She has her own godform; she runs a bunch of healer tech in space :3

Rings of purity, so to speak…

No I’m not joking; ask her for one!

I think I can do a materialist-friendly unpack of what’s most likely going on first.

One thing that comes to mind quickly - if a singer has a voice that perpetually sounds 13 or 14 there’s a kind of Darwinian super-salience there, a bit like you’d either be getting information from a daughter or from a partner with very strong neonate traits. In that sense relevance realization (as John Vervaeke likes to put it) is starting out quite high.

Take that same singer and give them something like a 140 / 150 IQ and throw-away quantities of creative talent. Stacked deck is even more stacked in favor of some really interesting outcomes. Even just having this you have someone who could just about sell me country music (if it was theirs at least).

In a way I almost feel like I’m describing Alia from Dune. Funny thing is, if you watch the David Lynch version and the actress who plays Jessica (Francesca Annis) she has a certain kind of ‘bob’ that looks a bit like a mullet for girls with wavy hair. I don’t know if that was popular in other places, maybe someone else can correct me if I missed a broader gen x ‘thing’ with that, but that’s how Meghan cuts her hair. IMHO, being a genius outsider, having a science fiction / science fantasy / Jung fixation seems likely. Dune is a lot like Star Wars just darker and more Darwinian. There’s a lot here that suggests to me that she’s played a bit with the Bene Gesserit frame / model, sort of tried it on as an archetype, and at least taken pieces of that for artistic persona. It fits her well. Their starting influences also come from a mid 00’s genre called ‘witch house’ and in their lyrics you sense a lot of esoteric insight but more often leaving it implied (there were some not-so-stealth references on their first album).

Admittedly I got into their stuff first in the early 2010’s when dubstep was still fueling a lot of things and what they were doing was more in line with sort of indie pop meets Burial, they (Meghan and Corin) have cooled into something more like standard high-quality indie pop but where I’ll still hear these production techniques, sounds, etc. that feel like they’re borrowing from atmospheric / intelligent drum n bass and other things. That x-factor’s still going pretty strong though and they had an album this spring where they came back to explore it more.

The other thing I really love about em is the subversive (in a good way) aspect where on first pedestrian glance the newer stuff almost sounds like you’re listening to music that’s for preteen girls at times but the moment you listen a bit closer you realize they’re effectively sneaking Tool into your daughters Halloween candy. What I mean by that is, drawing on some other famous Canadians, they’re as galaxy-brained as Skinny Puppy.

So yeah, my original question was more the following: what deity does that vector sound like.