Winterfield's "Demons of Magick" without Angels: Should we skip the 'Ritual Opening'?

Lately, I have been hearing that as we enter the Age of Aquarius, we are advised to work with Goetic Spirits directly, as opposed to ‘constraining’ them with Angels.

With that said, I have drafted a Ritual 2 summary that does not include any Angels, or the Invocation Psalm.

However, I have a question: should we skip the ‘Ritual Opening’ as well, since it involves Archangels?

My confusion relates to my uncertainty around the extent to which the Archangels are involved in the ‘constraining’ process, as opposed to just overseeing the ritual.

So, if we are looking to perform DoM ritual without Angelic constraints, does that mean we should skip the ‘Ritual Opening’?

Please let me know your thoughts

Thank you

Why bother using the Demons of Magick method if you’re just going to skip the main parts? The system is built to function in a certain way. If you remove pieces then it will not work as it is supposed to. If you’re scared of “offending” the demons, then just use a straight up demonolatry method instead.

If you feel the need to fawn over demons, then maybe the religious books of S. Connelly would be more your speed than the works of Gordon Winterfield. If you don’t want to constrain because you’re afraid of offending, then ceremonial magick might not be your path.

4 Likes

I’ve worked with this system a great deal. In my experience, I get a much stronger energetic response, and a higher hit rate in terms of results, when I do the whole process as described, including the opening ritual.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this.

Technically, you should be able to swap out the names of the shemhamphorash angels for the qlipoth of the zodiac and the demons in the lunar mansions. The structure is there, and the Ars Goetia itself hints at this in the appendix of the grimoire.

But that’s only theoretical. You have to A/B test it against the original system to ensure it works.