Why YOU Are The Luckiest Magician On Earth

Oh yes, urine soaking and death by fire for Channelings, the Wheel for suspected werewolves. Rather have the urine and fire treatment over the Wheel personally. We definitely are fortunate to live in this time period

2 Likes

Yikes! Is there like a Guiles of werewolf suspects?

This is why I hate the song “Ring around the rosie”. When victims of the trials were burned, it was done publicly alot of times.

Children would dance around the bonfire and sing that song.

“Rosie” is the color their skin would turn as they were being burned.

A pocket full of posies was used to mask the smell of burning flesh.

And I’m sure you can figure out the rest.

Usually, it was just owing a wolf pelt, possibly having the scar of a bite. Pretty ridiculous if you think about it as everyone had pelts. But if your god fearing neighbor said you were howling at the moon, shifting into one at night and hunting pretty women, you considered one and forced to confess by torture. Whether you admitted your “guilt” or not, the end result was the same

Just saw this in the new BALG newsletter, SO feeling this vibe right now:

Magicians used to travel across oceans and deserts to find apprenticeship with an occult mystery school. They would ride camels to secret caves, and sacrifice their entire lives to kneel in front of a priest. But now, you can simply log in to my members area in your pajamas and download as much knowledge as you need at your conveniene.

2 Likes

The expeditions to these locations would have certainly sorted the hobbyists from the determined. I’ve often wondered if occultists of today would be of the same calibre as those of old if the internet and mass production was removed, and if the removal of all internet archived knowledge pertaining to the occult would be an efficacious action toward the creation of different or higher breeds of practitioner.

3 Likes

I think the opening of this forum and the fact it now dominates search results for a lot of magickal, spiritual, and occult terminology, has led to a cultural shift: away from the norms of the old forum, full mostly of people who wanted to practice magick for its own sake/the sake of long-term ascent, and who often had bigger goals than purely personal gain (or the roundabout, “I’ll become a living god of empires and then she’ll want me back” stuff), and the many new friends now, who just have a problem they want fixed, and would gladly give up magick if they got it solved another way - like the difference between being a forum for plumbers, versus a helpcentre for those with leaky pipes.

I’m not judging those sick/heartbroken/poor (etc) people btw, because many folks got into magick trying to scratch some itch, then later got serious about it.

But the decreased amount of enthusiasm for the practice in its own right, of doing magick for its own sake, tends to cause people who just want the results to struggle with innovation, improvisation, and creativity, and I think that can create a kind of clash of cultures, because they appear to want spoonfeeding, while from their POV, we’re all gluttons sitting at a feast, with all the knowledge and powahs, refusing to hand over some crumbs.

The fact magick is a craft which has to be honed seems to get lost, and so does the fact that theophanies (interactions with gods and high-level spirits) are not the same thing as magick, which is focused on tanglible results, primarily in this realm of existence. :thinking:

Literally anyone can become a god in the astral and be told they’re that, and yet not be able to manifest a piece of free cheese.

I had no actual books, just a few precious things I scraped together from fiction, folklore, and family stories; no peers, the internet didn’t exist, and I didn’t even know magick was a real thing people did, and that didn’t stop me. I therefore strive to educate people to innovate and be creative.

But with an eye to my future lifetimes, I also want the maximum knowledge made available, so that next time I can start off with better tools… :thinking:

5 Likes

Hey, I once manifested toothpaste, that was the proudest moment of my career.

If it wasn’t for some kind of mundane “itch” I would have never had a reason to pick something up that was useless for my very own purpose before (because hands down I had no purpose until then). So yay for the itch sometimes :smiley:

But in all seriousness: I do feel the yearn for travelling, for this very purpose. And I fucking hate travelling, but its calling and I guess I can’t refuse it. Guess the art wants me to get some more practical experiences. And I will complain about that very often.

3 Likes

I have not nor ever will call myself a “magician”. I cannot manifest substance from thin air and I would not want to even if I could. For me, it is all about the alchemical process which is produced in the unconscious, ego and self as a result of interacting with traditions, rituals and concepts which offer a glimpse into a primal past, and a complex arrangement of perception-governed ways of life. “Satanism”, as it has been termed, is a means to a visionary end for me.

Some believe the alchemical texts are actually about the transmutation of lead into gold, whereas others believe lead to be materia and the gold its ideal form.

2 Likes