Why is Griffin's Golden Dawn anti-demon?

So, I’m sure you have heard about David Griffin and the golden dawn. For one, EA did a lecture for him on black magick, and in some of his videos Griffin appears to almost be anti-EA (there was a video where he called EA “the most dangerous black magician alive” and stated that Most black magicians just curse cause they get a kick out of others’ suffering).

David did a webinar a few months ago about evocation and the Golden Dawn. It was pretty interesting, except I had a “peeve” with something in it, one of the advertisements for it was “learn how to invoke angels for benevolence and learn how to evoke demons safely”, implying that demons were inherently out to harm practioners. This concept became quite evident as the webinar went on:

Angels=Good
Demons=Bad, lying, always out to trick you etc

Nevertheless, one of the main points about demonic evocation that was stated was that, In order to evoke a demon properly and safely you must use God/divine names to protect yourself. What’s more, the golden dawn “initiates” who were also there all agreed that demons were dangerous and must be coerced or threatened into helping the magician. Angels however, are all peachy and wonderful and don’t seem to be capable of malevolence to them.

Here the discussion. Why? David Griffin’s golden dawn appears to not only discourage demonic evocation but -to me at least, appears to be outright afraid of it, along with any form of black magick. It’s safe to say that BALG isn’t that well respected in that GD community. My question is why, from personal experience demons are friendly and polite as long as you treat them with the same, same with angels.

(Im not Anti-Griffin or anti GD, just interested in differing opinions)

Any thoughts?

I think I’ve seen the webinar you are talking about.

The way I understood is he approaches demons almost from jungian standpoint perceiving them more like shadow aspects of self rather than some sort of objective forces.
From that point of view it’s quite understandable why he says it’s necessary to work with qliphoth yet he calls demonic evocation dumb and dangerous.
Essentially he was saying that you risk becoming a slave of your ego rather than transcending and mastering it.
I don’t exactly agree with this jungian interpretation but it seems to be a trend these days.

Also I think he is trying to paint himself a contrast to BALG, since this “the most dangerous black mage” niche seems to be already taken. So it’s probably more of a marketing scheme.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he’s just doing that for marketing purposes.

The simple answer: The Order of the Golden Dawn is, and always has been, firmly Right Handed. White is right, Black is whack.

1 Like

I heard a rumour that they all have hemorrhoids, which is probably why they all sat on the floor in that 2½ hour video thing E.A. did with them, but luckily I have so far avoided coming close to any GD members naked, so I can’t verify this in any kind of scientific manner.

"The sign of the ENTERER"… probably not what the textbooks say it is

I gotta give it to him though, at least his stuff works unlike whatever bs thelemites (at least those I know) are doing.
I was getting some really good results with his ritual magic manual.

[quote=“fke, post:6, topic:8482”]I gotta give it to him though, at least his stuff works unlike whatever bs thelemites (at least those I know) are doing.
I was getting some really good results with his ritual magic manual.[/quote]

It does work, no doubt. But as we all know, RHPers are against working with demons. Most of use, or have used the LBRP, which comes from the GD. I’m not sure, though, how connected the American GD is to the original, British GD. I know Regardie moved it from Britain to the U.S., but I don’t really know how true to form it’s remained. I have nothing against them.

I wish the whole occult community was more LHP oriented. All of this white light woo woo crap is getting very old. But black, is always in style :wink:

Yeah, but it’s all good entertainment, and it doesn’t cost a penny.

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:5, topic:8482”]

"The sign of the ENTERER"… probably not what the textbooks say it is[/quote]

Some things, once seen, cannot be unseen…

1 Like