Why do we use their Words of power instead of their names when working with the Old ones?

When working with Necronomicon and Cthulhu related spirits we are often taught to call them via description and their word of power, but why? Is closer contact with them dangerous? Do we not get the same close contact by activating their sigils?

1 Like

Dangerous??? Hmmm… The Old Ones are looking for Portals and need to manifest in this plane of existance. They need more energy. At the moment is not clear which is the relationship with the qliphoth. If approached with respect and interest of working together will everything be allright using all of their names

1 Like

I was thinking about descriptions of how to summon the 50 names/faces of Marduk in the Necronomicon, like Zahrim or Suhgurim, they never use their names. It is the same in Scorpio’s The book of the Old ones, only there their Words of power and descriptions of the spirits are used, not their names (with a few exceptions). And in EA Koettings Baneful magick we only activate the sigils of a few Marduk names without name or word of power. I am not sure why people avoid using their names directly, but there must be a reason.

I have called upon Nyarlathotep directly by just chanting his name with great results, but I always call them with love, as I have positive anticipations of them.

Also, to me the energies of the Qliphothic spirits are completely different to that of the Old ones. Demonics have a sooty shadowy energy, whereas that of the Old ones is white and very fresh. I would best describe it as a huge rock in a clearing in the middle of a huge vast forest, wet from a recent rain, or like ice fibers. It also feels very stellar in character. I actually see deep space motifs with nebulae when I think about them sometimes.

2 Likes

My gnosis says it has to do something with their nature. They have no one stable form and they have no one name, they are however tied to the word or power. It is like flipping a switch for them almost.

It seems clear in my head but I feel my attempts at explanation fail. Remember, the Old Ones form is held together by their mind, unlike our mind which is held together by our form. You could then say the word of power is tied to their mind, like a humans name is tied to their body.

2 Likes

That is great @NeoFightTheNyophite ! That explains why writer Scorpio (pseudonym for Carl Nagel) says you only need to say the word of power once. Some has suggested that their word of power can be used as an enn, but I understand you as there really is no need for many repetitions if any?

Uh, to be honest I havent used them much. Right now those entities are not what I am focusing on, and at the time I was working closely with them I was also confused about why they had names and words of power. My current practice has brought my understanding closer though.

I would guess repeating it would be similar to repeating a spell. The way I see it, their word is like bringing a spark of their power into our realm. Is there use in doing that more than once for one purpose? Do you cast a spell twice?

I have just as many questions as you do, but I also work primarily in. a shamanistic fashion. Its mostly chaos and experience for me and less rules and rituals.

1 Like

I think you just raised our knowledge about them a notch there @NeoFightTheNyophite, and a pretty good notch too. I have never seen this in writing before. :star:

1 Like