Why are Lucifuge and Mephistopheles same Sigil?

So I’ve been reading Asenath Mason’s book called : The Book Of Mephisto and on page. 132 there’s a Sigil that’s Mephistopheles but that’s Lucifuge sigil…why is that??

2 Likes

Because both she and E.A. Koetting believe their the same entity.

6 Likes

@charles9 Really? Mm… interesting. Thanks!

3 Likes

Mephistopheles is Greek for “not-light-loving,” and Lucifuge is Latin for “light-fleeing.” Those are very close, which should be especially clear to anyone who knows their Latin and Greek. Additionally, the Qliphoth backs this up, because the Qliphoth corresponding to Lucifuge is Sathariel, which represents concealment, and Mephistopheles is in charge of concealed knowledge. Additionally, Lucifuge and Mephistopheles are considered to be the primary demons magicians make pacts with.

However, I doubt Mephistopheles is quite the same as Lucifuge, because in my experience Mephistopheles is associated with the Qliphoth Belial. I also think Mephistopheles has a different sigil, despite the Lucifuge sigil looking more than vaguely reminiscent of a certain image of Mephistopheles. I do think Mephistopheles, Lucifuge, Lucifer, and Satan are different aspects of the same spirit, but Mephistopheles also known as Mephistophiel features in the original Urfaust legend and not only in literary adaptations of Faust such as Goethe’s closet drama and Marlowe’s play. If you want to find sigils of Mephistopheles, I would look for them in Faust grimoires (these exist!) rather than simply using the Lucifuge Rofocale sigil. The name Lucifuge Rofocale is first referenced in a grimoire that is not directly related to the Faust legend, called The Grand Grimoire: The Red Dragon, and I’ve never seen Lucifuge Rofocale ever directly equated with Mephistopheles or vice versa except on this site and the books sold on this site. There are several Mephistopheles sigils given in sources in the Faustian tradition and they look very different from the Lucifuge sigil in the Mephistopheles book sold on this site.

7 Likes