What does "Seo æfgrynde is swiðe færlice" mean?

Hello, my beloved braintrust! The sentence is from “The Deplorable word” - a crazy good book on the Void (NOT to be confused with the Abyss of the Qliphoth). In the first part of the book there is a Lovecraftesqe (does that word exist? :stuck_out_tongue:) story where the main character mutters the words under the influence of the Void. It sounds a bit Norse, Icelandic like.

The cover, for your pleasure.

I am dutch, yeh it looks old danish/icelndic/frizian/english mixed self made up … interesting… but it’s meant to be a fictional book is it not?

Just that story part, the rest is occult research into The Void.

[edit Removed link to story myself. Don’t want to risk spreading the real authors work]

1 Like

It may be Anglo-Saxon/early English. Here is an example: The Homilies of the Anglo-Saxon Church/XXII - Wikisource, the free online library

Anglo saxon is basically that yes… if i read it in my language it can mean a couple things… aefgrynde = afgrond / einde (cliff or end) … faerlice = verlies (loss)

1 Like

I dunno if this makes any sense in the context

It makes perfect sense, since the book is about The Void. But even these people that specialize in it keep using the word Abyss for it, which is quite annoying.

1 Like

Well there ya go

I read some old danish , saxon and frizian in the same way i can understand about 50%

Just figured out ‘Swide’ means ‘fast’

…Could it freely translated say , ‘a ‘void/abyss/fall of a cliff like this is a rapid loss ‘… :man_shrugging: that’s what i got so far

1 Like

Swithe, the curly d is a thorn it makes “th” sound.

Yes, like in Icelandic. It is “th” as in “they” (just clarifying :slight_smile:)

Ok it doesnt mean fast or rapid , i found this

So… ‘ a void as this is a great loss’

1 Like

Good digging!