What Advice Do You Have For Someone Just Starting the Left Hand Path?

Thank u so much

1 Like

Read The Satanic Bible. Excellent initiatory book for someone who’s completely new to LHP. It’s not spiritual, per se, but it helps you purge yourself from false guilt and fear, and also assists you in rebuilding yourself.

8 Likes

The Satanic Bible was my starting point, an excellent philosophical tome in general. Although the dogma is stronger in LaVey’s work than in other books on the LHP.

7 Likes

Is there a free pdf or YouTube audio book on it

2 Likes

This PDF seems accurate to my print copy but is by no means official. The Church of Satan would rather have people pay for the book and so they discredit all electronic copies. (You don’t need to listen to them, though). http://www.whale.to/b/lavey_bible.pdf

2 Likes

I read in the BMoA that sungazing can help. As well as everyone else said, lots of meditations. There are exercises all over this forum for doing this.

4 Likes

My answer to the topic though is trust your fucking intuition. I can’t tell you how many times questioning it has gotten me in shit, in both the mundane and magickal.

7 Likes

Patience!! it’s not going to happen in one night! It takes time!

8 Likes

Is this like the Jungian concept of Shadow? Or something else?

So what is the ultimate goal? For us to consume all of them? Have a working relationship? What happens if one of your otherselves consumes the other like the demon self consumes the shadow?

1 Like

It’s Similar to the Jungian Concept of Shadow Self Or The Wild Self. Basically it’s your version of chaos/the abyss which contains the potential for everything. Unfortunately with the great stuff comes the shit, that means everything negative you believe about yourself or have been told is negative about yourself from others. The goal is to purge the shadow self of these things that hold you back in order for the shadow self to merge with the higher self.

The ultimate goal is the complete balance and union of all 2 aspects or 3 if your going by what @The Storm said. This allows us to become the perfect balance of creation and destruction creating your godself in its fullest form.

1 Like

No, the literal energy of shadow is what I am talking about. When you meld with the shadows you become part of a hive mind. It’s as much a magickal concept as a psychological one, [quote=“kiss-lamia-lilith, post:22, topic:16991”]
The ultimate goal is the complete balance and union of all 2 aspects or 3 if your going by what @The Storm said. This allows us to become the perfect balance of creation and destruction creating your godself in its fullest form.
[/quote]
Essentially yes.

2 Likes

Preach! (The patience thing…)

3 Likes

Yeah i see them from both perspectives too but its helps to know both as they are inter-related :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My advice is be respectful and maintain diligent practice. Keep your mind open and your senses keen. All else stems from these

7 Likes

Know what your desired goals are.

Know that fear, despair, distractions, self-doubt, weariness, and sundry other things will attempt to separate you from pursuit of your goals. Decide in advance that you’re not selling out to these lying and transitory illusions.

That’s level 1.

This is level 2:

Understand that a time will come, more than once, when you realise there is literally No Thing, that ALL things are lying and transitory illusions, and that there’s no meaning to life or the universe, and no purpose.

Be willing to have a reason to hold onto your goals and keep your shit together at this stage (otherwise it becomes the RHP, and you start wanting to just merge back into the formless, and/or have weird Jim Carrey-style public meltdowns).

“For the lulz” is a really good reason, by the way.

Balance determination with flexibility in the howling void of utter meaninglessness and illusion that is “reality” and you’ll be fine.

And I agree about, in general, treating all entities (yourself included) with respect:

Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries—for heavy ones they cannot.

—Niccolo Machiavelli

10 Likes

Now you have me intrigued- that bit about meaninglessness; do you mean apart from the meaning we derive from our will and our theogenesis?

1 Like

Dat weariness, doe…hit me really hard when I was starting out. I had a meltdown and talked to a friend in magic. He told me I needed to ground myself and rest. He was right. You have to make sure you’re physically and mentally taking good care of yourself and stay centered and balanced.

4 Likes

It’s a kind of perception that almost all people hit at some point, it has various names - you’ll know it when it happens.

People either turn to the meta-suicide of the RHP when it happens, or flip their lids - or occasionally., as I did and many of us on here, decide to forge our own meaning and just enjoy the game. :thumbsup:

Don’t worry about it now, just get good at the basic godlike skills of evocation, divination and soul-travel etc., but tuck this away fro when you face that situation personally, because words can’t lead you to it, it “can be learned, but never taught” as the saying goes. :smiley:

8 Likes

My advice? Have fun with it. If it becomes a burden, that can be a problem.

4 Likes

I’d disagree. The shadow is the force that speaks cold, hard truth. It’s the part of you that tells you that you’ve done something before, and failed. Therefore you must learn and try even harder this time. It is what speaks reason to the false pride of the ego, and allows you to find balance. It is wisdom. The voice telling you whether what you are about to do is wise, and how you should go about doing it to minimise damage. The voices of the Spirits speaking to you once you have joined into the hive mind. I don’t think it’s actually that similar to the Jungian concept, though I have only a very bare understanding of that.

4 Likes