WandaVision Introducing Chaos Magic into the MCU

Spoilers Ahead!!! (Up to WandaVision episode 8)

If you’ve been watching WandaVision, you’ve noticed the introduction of chaos magic. So far, the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) has only touched on some of the most basic aspects of chaos magic, some of which are similar to the chaos magick that is practiced in the real world. Most notably, these similarities are the idea of creation and removing limitations that come from set practices. At least, these are the similarities that I’ve noticed so far. Feel free to point out more similarities if you have spotted any.

A Rundown on Chaos Magic in Marvel Comics:
The way chaos magic works in Marvel Comics is that it basically stemmed from an elder god called Cthon. Cthon was created by the Demiurge, who also created several other Elder Gods, including Gaea, Hypuss, Issus, Oshtur, Set, and many others. These are all representations of Gods from different religions or texts. The Demiurge, in Marvel Comics, is the sentience of Earth’s Biosphere. Cthon, who set off to learn the intricacies of magic, ended up becoming extremely powerful and created his own source of magic; which was chaos magic. Eventually, the Elder Gods became corrupted and essentially went mad, save for Oshtur and Gaea. They became “Demons”. Seeing this, Gaea went to the Demiurge and birthed a son named Atum, whose purpose was to devour all of the Elder Gods. Atum, through devouring the corrupted elder gods and absorbing their energy, became Demogorge the God Eater. In this form, he attempted to devour Set and Cthon, but they were able to escape to other dimensions. After all this, Demogorge the God Eater was absorbed into the Sun.
Before escaping, Cthon wrote his discoveries on the flesh in order to have influence over Earth’s darker arts. Around 500 AD in Marvel Comics, after Cthon’s Scrolls were passed down through powerful practitioners of the darker arts throughout the years, a powerful sorceress named Morgan Le Fey found the scrolls. She bound them together and created the Darkhold, which likely was the book that Agatha Harkness possessed. The reason Wanda Maximoff was as powerful as she was in the comics, was because Cthon gave her a small portion of her power when she was born. If this works out the same way in the MCU, the Scarlet Witch would essentially be a human conduit for Chaos Magic.

Bringing Chaos Magick to a New Generation:
What interests me is all the occult references in Marvel Comics. It makes me wonder if the person who wrote this origin story was involved in the occult, or at the very least, they did a lot of studying. With Chaos Magic being brought into the MCU, it seems like this could be something that inspires people to practice Chaos Magick. It may not become a main focus in the MCU, but I thought it was interesting and thought it would interest some others as well. What do you think?

2 Likes

Well grant morrison is heavily into the occult

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting on someone to bring up WandaVision at some point lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t see anyone bring it up on the forum yet, so I thought I’d do it so people can share their thoughts on it

1 Like