Uses For Bones + Other Necromancy

For those who work with bones, what do you do with them? Animal or human, what can you accomplish? Where we live, it is legal to own human remains so long as they were obtained legally, though we’ve never actually had any before, and I’m unsure if we ever will. But we have animal bones we found on our property years ago.

I’m mostly curious because I was a necromancer in my past life, and I specifically worked with bones. It wasn’t this world, and the things I recall doing with them wouldn’t be possible here. Like, digging up a dragon skeleton and using it to turn myself into a dragon. Obviously not happening here, but I rather miss my craft and was hoping to find something to do with myself and experiment with here. Sorry if that sounds fluffy, but that is my reason.

One of my thoughts was taking the energy from a complete (or perhaps partial) skeleton and using that to shapeshift in the astral, or to acquire the knowledge of the animal in question. But I’m open to trying anything, given it’s legal. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? And, does anyone know anything about communicating with spirits attached to bones?

Are there any deities that specifically govern bones? On that note, is communing with fictional deities a thing? Could I try to contact Mannimarco (Elder Scrolls) and get somewhere, or would I just be raving to myself? Speaking of fiction, is putting your “soul”/essence into some kind of object to preserve yourself, even if just in a small way, even possible? Would there be any point in trying?

Thanks for any ideas.

-Brass

1 Like

Hello Brass,
I would use bones as a magickal source of death essence, the fundamental energy for necromancy. Bones can be used for divination too. I remember I found a video about it, so if you wish I can send you the link. The idea of shapeshifting in the astral or acquiring the abilities of the animal seem plausible. You should read about Nahuales and Skinwalkers. They do similar process with animals to shapeshift. And about working with fictional character I would say its possible (but I’m a chaos magician, more rigorous and traditional magicians would say it doesnt work like that) if you feel affinity with this fictional entity, just try it out. And to talk with spirits of the dead, or in this case spirits in the bones, I guess you could use a general evocation or calling (you can check my post about it), or you can evoke Murmur to help you attain communication.

3 Likes

Thank you for the response, Glenn. I’d love any links you have. I didn’t think of Skinwalkers, I’ll give them a search. Where can I find your post about evocation? And where can I find some information on Murmur?

-Brass

Human bones, or a casting of a human skull is used for an ancestral altar.
Elk or Deer shin, the flat side, for a bone dagger blade.
Smaller bones from Deer and Elk can be used inside a dried-out skin made into a bladder for a rattle.
Otter skins are used for medicine bags and their sinew is used for wraps and bundles for the bag.
Bone joint, ankles, hooves can be used for knife handles.

The uses are limited only by the imagination. Bring out your inner “Shaman”…

4 Likes
3 Likes

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas~

-Brass

Ah, thank you kindly! I’ll do some studying.

-Brass

I use bones and blood for consecrating small areas to enchant them to channel Sithra Ahra and open demonic portals

2 Likes

Osteomancy - Divination by bones.

1 Like

Making a great point but having the majority of my experience in magick based off of shamanism and having a glaring interest in necromancy, I’ve found bones of animals to be the best way to create a totem and another way of borrowing the energy and knowledge attributed to that creature also called. It’s “medicine”. The Raven and the crow are obvious choices and easy to get ahold of Others you could use are ones that are know for their intelligence like the octopus, although I’m not sure of how to aquire those bones, if you intend to use the dead for your own purposes channeling the energy of animals known fo loyalty (perhaps the easiest choice here would be the dog) in some cases perhaps you could use the eagles vision to see the evokations clearer or to help you see past the tricksters and lies found in many deceased spirits. If you feel you could use a little more courage there are plenty of animals who help with that. The other benefit of having their totems made from bone is like @Glenn_the_ghoul said it’s an inherent source of death essence which as a whole i think makes this a great option

2 Likes

If I may ask where are you just getting human bones from so easily?

Also to the OP how do you know in your past life you were a necromancer?

• inessence

You can buy human bones online. Or straight up kill a man and then take 'em but that’s bothersome I would assume. Unfortunately, they’re quite expensive.

There are things called past life meditations and some people use those to figure out their past life.

I hope you’re not saying people who do necromancy are murderers.

Not one bit. It’s just a little joke, that’s all.

1 Like

If you feel comfortable working with that death energy, you can use it as a conductor or translator for other things. In particular I have a partial jawbone that acts like a “telephone”, with me putting it up to my ear and everything.

2 Likes

In my necromantic craft bones are mostly used to make fetishes and attract dead spirits. I’ve also used human bones when I made my nganga (spirit pot) and I have a tibetan kangling (trumpet made of a femur) used for calling the dead. A tool I do not have that I need is a skull bowl. When I get one it will be used to drink wine with when communing with Qayin and the shades of the dead.

2 Likes

I have been thinking of getting a road kill deer leg for my Wand. Any comments??

1 Like

Good idea. If you’d like some cedar from a cemetery to go with it, I have some. No charge.

1 Like

Why on earth would anyone buy cedar from a cemetery? That seems very redundant. If I needed cedar from a cemetery I would just walk in to my local cemetery that has a cedar tree and take it myself.

Free as in no charge for mailing it to him. Not everyone has a cemetery they can walk to, so I made the offer to be nice.

2 Likes