The purpose of gestures in concerts and in common magick

I realised that during many kinds metal concerts the artists often make some gestures. I wonder if they do that on purpose because it has some meaning or just for being more occult in the eyes of audience.
Anyway, are there any special gestures that are used in magic?

I am not sure where the two-fingers gesture originates but it’s a not-un-established method of directing your will. The first two fingers of each hand are ruled by Jupiter and Saturn.

The triangles represent male (point upward) and female (point downward) energy, or fire and water respectively.

If they have meaning beyond that I am unsure, but there is some flavour of magic to them

3 Likes

The triangle gesture, point up, is called the Triangle of Manifestation, and it is used to draw down power from celestial objects, like the moon, and infuse it into something. A description of the basic technique, given by DMC in his opus Modern Magick, is to frame the moon in the triangle, and then, as you move the triangle downward towards whatever you are going to charge. you visualise the moon within it moving with you, until you have the triangle over the object, at which point you see the visualised moon sinking into it, imbuing it with power. You then seal the power with an equal armed cross.

8 Likes

I think most do it because they think it looks cool. Kinda like how people make the devil horns gesture at metal concerts.

3 Likes

And long before those were a thing, it represents Shiva, the male principle of Godhood, and the downwards-pointing triangle represents Shakti.

5 Likes

Oftentimes the hand symbols are also in reference to the band themselves, or the song they’re playing, or are in-jokes with their fans.

When Enslaved wants the audience to guess that they’re about to play Isa, for example, they make the Isa rune with their hands.

I’m not really in a great mindset to explain anything (as it is New Years Eve and I have been partaking in adult beverages), but a LOT of these bands are spiritual or LHP themselves. Contrary to popular belief, most modern metal bands aren’t doing it for shock value anymore. There’s not really any shock left in pretending to worship Satan to be honest.

2 Likes

bump

Fire, unsure, water, fire
To declare to powers your authority, to open a gate or quarter with names and signals.