The Craft film

I know that the film The Craft is beloved by the occult community. I do feel it is a good film. I’ve just never understood all the love it gets from the Wiccan community. The girls start out working in RHP, but quickly begin practicing black magic. I would think that would make a devout Wiccan look upon it as a bad influence.

It’s a morality play, like most mainstream movies. Good wins over evil. The girls who abused their powers are stripped of them at the end, and the one who didn’t abuse her power, not only retains hers, but gains even more. It fits perfectly with Wiccan ethics.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen it, but it’s been mentioned in a couple of topic here about movies.

1 Like

I understand that, but I would expect acclaim to be for a film that upholds the Wiccan philosophy throughout, not just as the good witch won out in the end.

1 Like

Yeah but having the whole good overcoming evil bit sells man. People eat those kinds of movies up. It’s like “good wins over evil” & “love is stronger than hate” & "the righteous prevail over the wicked " & “the nice guy doesn’t always finish last”. This type of storyline is really popular in the western world. I myself kinda got tired of the boring cliches and started watching foreign films especially occult horror.

The British and some f the countries in Asia do it really well.

Just my thoughts :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

The film does uphold Wiccan philosophy throughout. The whole point of the film is about not giving into your baser desires. The entire plot revolves around the protagonist’s human need to belong, to accept the loss of her mother, to embrace her heritage as a witch, and to stand up for what she knows is right and just. It basically deals with the inherent conflict of being human.

When the down-trodden and the outcast are given power, a large number of them will immediately strike out at those they perceive as responsible for their ills in life, and wind up becoming the very thing they are supposedly standing against. In the movie, the girl who was self conscious about her burns became narcissistic and vain once they were healed, for example. The girl with the abusive step-father became a killer, and the girl who was cruelly bullied became a cruel bully herself. However, because the protagonist, Sarah, resists these parts of human nature, even when her “friends” try to pressure her into bad acts, in the end, she transcends them, gaining strength, surety, confidence, and her full power, all the things she lacked in the beginning of the movie.

As the wise old New Age shop proprietor says in the movie, when she tells Sarah to perform the ritual for power, if you take it to a dark place, as the group of girls did, you will be corrupted by it. However, if you hold onto your better ideals of compassion, empathy, and justice, you will reach new heights. This is basic RHP philosophy.

6 Likes

I suppose it does show the protagonist’s journey into power and responsible use of it. I was just thinking of it in terms of my love as a Luciferian for The Omen trilogy and Damien Thorn or Angelique on Dark Shadows.

1 Like

Oh my sweet Jesus you’re sooo right. RHP philosophy…whoah.

3 Likes

The good girl next door acts in accordance with the life that her natural talent, orthodox beauty, and the economic stability she was born into has set up for her and gets rewarded for it. The abused and impoverished girl acts in accordance with the trauma and alienation she struggles to survive within a society that abandons her and gets punished for it (permanently). A budding rapist is killed and it’s a crime. It’s a masterbatory fantasy for the self-righteous.

4 Likes

In regards to my original post, are you in agreement? I can’t tell.

After reading @DarkestKnight reply (I have to say, it’s better written than a professional film critic) I was curious and I watched this movie today.

From the 90’s, I miss those good times. :slightly_smiling_face:

Interesting misconception that a demon cares how an “operator” use his powers, but anyway, it’s Hollywood lol.

Good entertainment, thanks for the tip.

2 Likes