The 9 Demonic Gatekeepers in ancient cultures

according to the Hebrews bible belial was known as beliar he was personified as the devil

4 Likes

amaymon is prince of hell and according to some grimoires ,the only one who has power over Asmodia

3 Likes

Interesting! I think I’ve heard that before somewhere about Belial being Beliar, do you know if he’s in any other cultures predating the Hebrews?

2 Likes

Not sure buddy ill do some research and get back to you

3 Likes

I aslo found it mentions in old testament bey-al but i cant find it meaning worthless on or lawless one

2 Likes

One

1 Like

There’s not much out there that I could find about the origins of Belial, other than this passage from EA Koetting’s essay “Belial’s Rage”, found in Anthology of Sorcery, Vol. 3:

4 Likes

@Nyxifer That’s a really good find!

1 Like

beliar Is Greek and bay - al is Hebrew

So I did WAY more research (several hours, every day, for the past 4 days) and found out I was right about some, and initially wrong about others!

Bel Marduk - Beelzebub
Ningishzidda - Lucifuge Rofocale
Ninurta - Azazel
Utu - Abaddon
Ereshkigal - Amaymon
Geshtinanna - Belial
Ishkur - Baal
Nergal - Asmodeus
Enki - Satan

1 Like

Azazel - Prometheus

Beelzebub - Baal Zebul

Satan - Enki

Lucifuge Rofocale - Thoth

Belial - Not a worshiped god

Baal - Baal Hadad or Baal Hammon, I’m not so sure about this, someone correct me

Abaddon - Apollo

Asmodeus - Aeshma deva

Amaymon - Not a worshiped god, as far as I know

Ah, so Geshtinanna is another name for Belili? Interesting… :thinking:

So many different masks and names for the same entity, it’s enough to drive one nuts trying to pin down who’s who!

3 Likes

Precisely! I tried to find the most ancient names they went by, and it did make me a tad nuts trying to figure it out! Haha!

@Baal you’re correct about several of these, the only two I would disagree on is Azazel being Prometheus and Belial not being worshipped as a god. It was extremely difficult to take the simple connections, and connect those to even more ancient Gods, especially with Amaymon and Asmodeus, as I thought the same thing initially about Amaymon as well!

But are Baal and Bael the same? Some say no, different entities while others say it is just a spelling/translation error… what is the truth?

1. Belial - Belili

2. Beelzebub- The Druj Nasu/Pazuzu

3. Lucifuge Rofocale - Thoth/Ningishzidda

4. Amaymon - Amon

5. Asmodeus - Aeshma

6. Satan - Yamnah

7. Azazel - Al’Uzza

8. Bael - Baal

9. Abaddon - Apollyon

4 Likes
  1. Belial - Belili.

2. Beelzebub - Baal-Hadad or Adad.

3. Lucifuge Rofocale - Unknown.

4. Amaymon - Amon.

5. Asmodeus - Aeshma.

6. Satan - Ahriman or Angra Mainyu.

7. Azazel - Melek Taus or Kumara (Naigamesha).

8. Bael - Another aspect of Beelzebub.

9. Abaddon - Apollyon, Apollo, or Ningishzida.

3 Likes

I dont believe amaymon to be amon.
I dont believe Baal to the actual title of the entity.

Baal was used as “lord”. There are many baals. So my theory is that Worshipping “baal” is another way of saying “worshipping the lord” however this wouldnt translate well to followers of the church. How could we worship THE lord while they also worship a lord. If ours is THE, then theirs cannot be. So Baal became personified as a devilish archetype to the Hebrews.

Amon I have simply seen no evidence or correlations between he and amaymon during my work with amon. But I’ve never conjured amaymon to ask him this. I only know amon to be amun. I know hes very active in the West, especially amongst tribes that worship the hawk. I live in Washington where our native tribe worships a hawk deity associated with the sun. I found this information after I had encountered and begun working with a spirit who claimed amun. I was doing ex reconciliation for him to repay him for his help with my own situation.

Just sharing my experience. But I see a great deal of people make these lists. The more versions I see, the less accurate the 9 gatekeeper paradigm seems.

I’m beginning to go with the idea that our gatekeepers are subjective, not objective, and that each wheel has a personified mask that we label gatekeeper. Meaning while sorath helps me with my solar plexus, amon helps with someone else’s and so my gatekeeper is sorath and yours is amon.

Just a theory.

3 Likes

I do agree with you on the fact that Baal is a title. However, while there are multiple deities with this epithet in their name it was mainly attributed to the Mesopotamian deity Hadad and his manifestations.

I think everything revolving around energy work and magick is subjective on some level to begin with. No one is going to have the same exact experience with every entity out there and I’m sure many of us can debate on a lot of things revolving them for hours.

I will say that most of my path-working throughout my time as a practitioner has revolved around the horned gods of the Middle East, Azazel being one of them.

I honestly haven’t really been around BALG long, so the concept of the Gatekeepers is newer to me. I will say that your last statement hits the nail on the head for me. I think every gatekeeper has a designated purpose but I believe that there are multiple spirits that can fulfill that role, some of which are more helpful to you while some may be more helpful to others.

3 Likes

Everyone has there own belief system, it’s not like there’s a gatekeeper line and who has more power, all the gatekeepers are powerful and carry powers of there own, i’m definitely not here to argue with anybody or say anybody is wrong I respect everybody’s outlook this is just mine, it’s interesting though to see all this, to me it’s all knowledge we are figuring out, they didn’t teach us this in school. And the funny part is it’s all history of life!!!

2 Likes