The 72 Goetic spirits challenge

I’m currently working through the Goetia and I’ve got about 30 spirits or so evoked. I’m starting this thread to ask if there are other members here on Balg that have done all 72 also. I have some questions I’d like to ask about the progression of the work.

10 Likes

I told you, you were gonna do this couple of weeks ago.

She left.

1 Like

Well my friend I’m hoping that there are members out there perhaps I don’t know that have done this work. I realize it’s a bit of a shot in the dark but I can always hope someone will respond.

3 Likes

So weird I happened to see this. I myself just today have been drawn to work with all of them. Instead of starting with the first in the book though, I’ve been drawn to work with the lowest in rank first, Furcas. Anyone work with him yet? What experiences did you have?

3 Likes

There are many who have taken the challenge, but not all have used the method of traditional evocation. One member here used pathworking, for example, so the approaches can vary.

The purpose in taking on the challenge also varies. You are evoking each spirit to meet and get to know them, while the original 72 Challenge was for opening aspects of the mind.

I’ve attempted my own challenge twice, but only got to ten. Might be time to revisit it though, as I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, so you opening this thread could be a synchronicity :thinking:

4 Likes

When I do a meet and greet I almost always ask the spirit if it can unlock doors in my mind for me. I’m starting to think that this happens anyway because of such close proximity to these energies on an extended timeline.

My primary purpose you’re right though is getting to know the spirit and to secure a commitment that we can work together in the future and also to start a relationship with that spirit based on trust and respect. I don’t usually make requests of them on the first meeting. Sometimes I do though.

4 Likes

No I haven’t worked with or met furcas yet. My Patron spirit Prince Orobas tells me though that all of the 72 are worthy of knowing. So I do look forward to meeting him.

I’m not doing it by rank myself I’m going by intuition on which spirit to evoke next. Sometimes I take recommendations from Prince Orobas however.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was going simply by the order in the Goetia.

3 Likes

There’s Alot of ways to skin a cat it seems.

2 Likes

In my first attempt, I went in reverse order, starting with Andromalius, and I got as far as Decarabia, and then on the second attempt, when I decided to include the angels of the Shemhamforash as well, I started with Bael, and ended with Valefor.

4 Likes

I’ve been literally just reading a list of thier names and as I go down the list if a name calls to me I make it’s seal and schedule it for evocation.

I’ve seen quite a variety of spirits. Some Fallen Angels with a very angelic vibe “Phenex, Marchosias” others like Prince Orobas more neutral. Others like Amon, murmur, Glaysa labolas that are very dark spirits in my experience.

It’s been very interesting.

2 Likes

What made you switch to using Shem angels?

Edit : you know I detest the idea of using Shem angels just on principal. Lol

3 Likes

I think it was something in Poke Runyon’s Book of Solomon’s Magic that mentioned the 72 Angels of the Shemhamforash are the complementary side to the spirits of the Goetia, the two sides of the same coin, so to speak, so I reasoned that if the spirits of the Goetia represent aspects of the mind, then so too do the angels.

I didn’t use the angels to constrain anyone. I evoked them separately. I did a Shem angel in the afternoon, and a spirit of the Goetia in the evening.

3 Likes

Ah ok.

And hey I know alot of people that are very successful with using the Shem angels. Really there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s just my personal preference not to employ them. Now there have been a couple evocations with dangerous spirits that are violent, and unpredictable that I kinda wished I had used the Shem angels for just for the extra safety.

2 Likes

One thing I find interesting is that the spirits seem to take shapes and tones of voice based on my own memories and experiences. I’m not sure why this is

3 Likes

The member who originated the 72 Challenge had mentioned that the opening of aspects of the mind with the Goetia had caused him some chaos and depression, so I conceived of the idea that the Shem angels represent the “higher faculties” of the mind, those aspects controlled by the prefrontal cortex of the brain, and the Goetia were more linked to the atavistic forces of the so-called reptile brain, so I had hoped to mitigate the negative effects of the operation by including them.

That was the genesis, anyway. I didn’t get far enough to prove my hypothesis though.

6 Likes

Fascinating hypothesis. This project kind of reminds me of the movie and book the lawnmower man by Stephen king. The test subject has thier mind opened and all the latent abilities begin to surface.

I think that when you get to the point where you can actually see and hear spirits these latent faculties in the mind are already begining to open.

Lady Eva said these abilities are like a muscle that with incremental excerise become stronger and stronger. I agree with that.

3 Likes

Well I certainly hope to hear from a few people that have tried this and actually finished it.

1 Like

hi Mike, I wanna ask you a favor, if it is possible, can you please ask Prince Orobos, if involving the Shem spirits with the Goetia spirits is a good idea? or can Shem spirits make this challenge safer with better results?
I have already completed working with all 72 Shem spirits, and now I am thinking to do the same with the Goetia spirits.
I would appreciate it if you have a chance to ask this question :blush:

2 Likes

Well I asked him about this awhile ago and Prince Orobas had indicated to me that he doesn’t care at all if the magician employs the Shem angels. It really is about your personal preference. That’s what I was told.

3 Likes