That Moment When 8: Strange days stranger nights

I’ll greet your Santa, and raise you a “my imaginary Star Trek frens got possessed by real deities and now they’re no fun any more”! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fuck

Uh

Danny devito sans death match, gonna call em up right here and make em fight

2 Likes

Santa Claus was based on Odin, you know. Don’t even need an egregore. :wink:

3 Likes

Saint Nick??

I dunno anymore

Saint Nicholas sure had an influence, too. But Santa Claus how we know him today didn’t exist before Coca Cola. In the past he wasn’t red and neither was he fat. He was often called Father Christmas.
Many Christmas traditions were taken of the Yule festival. And Odin was the Yule Father.
There are lots of similarities.

In Germany, St.Nicholas Day is celebrated in the beginning of december.
And do you want to see how the austrians celebrate it?

2 Likes

St. Nicholas scared the shit out of me when I was still in Kindergarten and “he” came around, asking if we all had been good children while threatening us with his birchwood rod in case we would lie to him. I wasn’t all too keen about the 6th of December :smiley:

2 Likes

where I lived this was common. the Nikolaus became a synonym for terror and getting forced to learn poems and songs to please him (and not getting punished in the process, lol) and no child knew who the fuck Knecht Ruprecht was or why he should be scarier than the strict beard guy.

1 Like

Didn’t know that one either.
Nobody is scarier than St-Nicholas/Pelzmärtel. It was also way scarier than Halloween. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I mean, if he finds out you lied to your sister last june, he’s going to put you in his bag and then you’re gone.

1 Like

walks in, walks out

2 Likes

So much THIS. I still remember how we would look at each other in fear when St. Nicholas day was celebrated in Kindergarten (I was sent to Kinderkrippe soon after my birth and to Kindergarten when I was three, so until school started we had some “moments” with this old dude from hell). Nobody liked the whole procedure :smiley:

1 Like

Our parents and kindergarten teachers told us that he would beat us up with his rod and the he would force us to eat coal until we would turn into good children again

1 Like

well, maybe they did and the Pelzmärtel came back for you…

1 Like

TMW the lighting wasn’t like this when I went to snap it. I have no clue why I am glowing.

3 Likes

We had no clue about the Christkind that would always pop up in our christmas poems, songs and stories, so we assumed they would talk about Baby Jesus. I was so confused when I learned that they are not the same, Baby Jesus was a golden haired girl until then for me.

1 Like

I just always thought it was an angel. And I always hoped to see it one day. :relieved: :sparkles:
We had this wooden crib under the christmas tree and I used to play with it alot. There was this giant angel who I associsted with the Christkind and he was really strict and punished Baby Jesus, I probably mixed some Pelzmärtel into my game.
So Baby Jesus was punished by the Christkind. So he…punished…himself…
Growing up in Germany is confusing.

1 Like

Oh and then there’s St. Martin’s Day, which is on the same day as Pelzmärtel. And there’s this goose massacre because they betrayed St. Martin…that doesn’t make that day any better.

1 Like

we had no clue about St. Martin, the only important thing to us children was Laterne (or sometimes even torches) and being allowed near dangerous fire.

I’m glad that he didn’t hide himself in a dog kennel or a horse stable in that context.
Edit: Or in a nursery. Or in a home for the elderly and sick.

2 Likes

Off with their heads!!

1 Like