Tarot deck differences and meanings

for example, Rider-Waite arcana compared to Thoth deck arcana

if the symbols are different, the meaning is going to be different

if I use the 14th century Italian deck are the cards still going to tell me the same messages?

Get a thoth deck, it isn’t that much of an investment

I used to use it a few years ago, but it doesn’t resonate with me
There seem to be some big differences there with other decks

are the symbols of different decks going to deliver the same messages?

Pretty much just as there are multiple symbols to convey the idea of hunger or thirst there are different images on the different decks that still try to symbolize the same idea or archetype. A 10 of cups will mean happiness and a 5 of pentacles will mean sadness in any deck.

Sometimes it can be the colors used other times its the image itself. Just find a deck that when you look at he cards you know what message each card is trying to convey and that’s the deck for you.

1 Like

some convey similar meanings but there are big differences between many of the lower arcane and even some of the higher arcane between decks

the symbols are completely different

[quote=“Student of Goetia, post:6, topic:1130”]some convey similar meanings but there are big differences between many of the lower arcane and even some of the higher arcane between decks

the symbols are completely different[/quote]

Care to give examples so I know what we’re comparing/contrasting?

The symbols being different doesn’t change the card meaning. That symbol may mean something different to you but it doesn’t change the meaning of the card. For example the knight of disks of the Thoth deck looks nothing like the king of pentacles of the RWS deck even though they represent he same archetype. Different artist find different mediums to display the same thought.

Rider Waite Strength vs Thoth Lust
I completely disagree with the Thoth interpretation and symbolism

I see Strength as skillful and determined control of the brutish forces
not a revelry and surrender to them

[quote=“Student of Goetia, post:8, topic:1130”]Rider Waite Strength vs Thoth Lust
I completely disagree with the Thoth interpretation and symbolism

I see Strength as skillful and determined control of the brutish forces
not a revelry and surrender to them[/quote]

Ok, good comparison which illustrates my point exactly. Both cards are representing the same core principle with different symbolism. YOU don’t like the symbolism of the Lust card, its symbolism while representing the same thing does not resonate with you or display an image YOU consider one of strength.

When I first got the Thoth deck I would have been inclined to agree with you but reading about the cards and what the symbolism represents I find it to be a truer depiction of strength than the RWS version.

Crowley liked to push the envelope and use any terminology that seemed heretical and went against the status quo. Lust is just another word for desire, want, or crave but Lust has a much darker connotation to it because of its use in religious text as something to be abstained from.

The RWS deck was the deck for the uninitiated. It used symbolism that would resonate with the masses and be easily understood while not showing the deeper meanings of this archetype. Virtue/divinity overcoming the base animal instincts.

The symbolism of the Lust card shows a woman riding the beast of lust/desire. She has reigns which indicate she is in control of the beast, she is in charge of her desires and is not afraid to go after what she wants. Under the beast are the faces of other people some with their hands in prayer which sumbolizes the church or conformity. This woman is taking charge of her life and doing what she wants in spite of those who would disagree. That takes a lot of courage/strength to live your life for yourself and not to be concerned with how others view you or what you aim to achieve and not to feel guilt or shame in embracing your own will.

Crowley is just putting his spin on things as usual and IMO it’s different. All the effort to make it fit diminishes the original symbology. Thats my opinion

Just like A.E. Waite and Pamela Smith put their spin on the RWS deck or Nigel Jackson put his spin on the Rumi tarot. If they were all to use the same symbolism why bother making different decks? Different symbolism is the point of different decks. It may not resonate with you personally but to say it doesn’t convey the same message with different symbols is ignorant. Name any card from multiple decks and you will find symbolism that relates to the main theme of that card.

So what symbolism in the two cards lead you the conclusion that Lust is a card of vice and Strength is a card of virtue?

I will agree there is a revelry symbolized in the scene but I’m sure you will disagree that it is a revelry in the ecstasy of living one’s life uninhibited by the influence of others.

You also spoke of Crowley diminishing the original symbology by using different symbolism in his deck, what deck/symbology are you referring to as the original?

Has anybody used the Osho Zen Tarot?
Just got one for free, already got the Thoth and been using it for a while now
just thought i might try to see if anybody here is using the Osho one and what
you think about it.

[quote=“queasy, post:13, topic:1130”]has anybody used the Osho Zen Tarot?
just got one for free, already got the Thoth and been using it for a while now
just thought i might try to see if anybody here is using the Osho one and what
you think about it.[/quote]

I use the Osho one. Been having very good results with it. Although the answers it gives are mostly on internal matters.

The Thoth deck is my first deck that I owned…and even as a beginner I am completely at awe seeing the results I got from the deck.It resonates with me greatly!!!It seems to have a life of its own and suggestions that it gives are quite accurate!!

I’ve been mixing it up lately I’ll generally pick a deck for the day and run with that. I’ve been using the Rider Waite, Golden Dawn, Thoth, and Rumi decks. Keeps it interesting and you pick up on little things from different decks that change the way you look at them.

just ordered the Hermetic Tarot, any body used it here? i just love the black and white design.

1 Like