System of Magic

Are there diffrent systems of magic, if so then, do all of them give results and does this mean that one can create one’s own system of magic?

Also, can one create one’s own system of energy like the chakras?

2 Likes

Yes, of course there are. Techniques and theories abound everywhere.

Yes. Humans don’t tend to keep using things when they don’t, but things will also vary by individual.

Of course. What do you think the chaos magick paradigm is all about? It developed as a way to use magical techniques without all the extraneous mumbo-jumbo that usually accompanied them. It did away with all of the religious dogma, for example and tried to distill magick down to its essence.

Of course. What do you think Reiki is? It was developed as a modern method of energy healing in Japan.

3 Likes

I see. By extension, can one create one’s own soul, from scratch?

No. Your soul is your soul. How could you recreate the very essence of who and what you are? The soul can act upon itself, in a continuing cycle of refinement, but it cannot recreate itself from nothing.

1 Like

I see.

How do you find different systems of Magick?

Systems tend to evolve out of the differing concepts of what makes up reality. A group or an individual will perhaps obtain some gnosis that will produce a theory of “the way things are,” for example. Then those theories are uses to construct a map showing how all the ideas fit together to create a working map of the universe. That map is then used to explain how magick works and how to use it to influence reality.

2 Likes

Oh cool. Thanks.

If that’s a wrong gnosis then how can their magic work if it’s based on false theories?

No theory is ever really false because no one map holds The Complete Truth ™. We are the operant power in our reality, so we can literally make any theory or map of reality work as long as it makes some kind of sense to us and we can invest belief in it. The chaos magick paradigm showed us that we can use entirely fictional forms of magic from books and movies and still produce successful results. A banishing ritual invoking the Justice League can be just as powerful, and sometimes even more so, than one invoking the traditional angels or demons.

2 Likes

Does this mean that belief is what runs magic even if the magic is completely fictional so, would you say that belief is all that matters and if so does it mean that these different entities, demons, angels, are just made up by our mind like the justice league and all that really matters is the belief?

Belief is a large part of magick, but it is not the be all and end all. When you practice magick long enough. you’ll eventually run into situations where your belief doesn’t mean squat.

Jason Miller, in his book Consorting with Spirits, talks about how, when he had evoked his HGA, the angel immediately asked him what tool he was going to use to bind the demons. Miller answered with, "Well, I don’t really believe in the dichotomy of angels and demons so I’m not going to do that " and the angel told him, “It’s not about what you believe, Jason. If you don’t do it, then your life will go to shit.”

2 Likes

I see.