"Son of Sam" Blames Satan for Becoming a Serial Killer

From Wikipedia:

David Richard Berkowitz (born Richard David Falco; June 1, 1953), known also as the Son of Sam and the .44 Caliber Killer, is an American serial killer who was convicted of eight separate shooting attacks that began in New York City during the summer of 1976. The crimes were perpetrated with a .44 caliber Bulldog revolver. He killed six people and wounded seven others by July 1977. As the number of victims increased, Berkowitz eluded the biggest police manhunt in the history of New York City while leaving letters that mocked the police and promised further crimes, which were highly publicized by the press. The killing spree terrorized New Yorkers and achieved worldwide notoriety.

On the evening of August 10, 1977, Berkowitz was taken into custody by New York City police homicide detectives in front of his Yonkers apartment building, and he was subsequently indicted for eight shooting incidents. He confessed to all of them, and claimed to have been obeying the orders of a demon, manifested in the form of a dog “Harvey” who belonged to his neighbor “Sam.” Despite his explanation, Berkowitz was found mentally competent to stand trial. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was incarcerated in state prison. In the course of further police investigation, Berkowitz was also implicated in many unsolved arsons in the city.

On an upcoming CBS Network News special (31 July 2017), the “Son of Sam” claims that he opened himself up to “dark Satanic influences”.

I believe that when you decide to commit certain acts based on your morality (or lack thereof). You should take full responsibility for your actions. The “Devil made me do it” and “I’m crazy” excuses don’t cut it anymore.

Please don’t troll or flame me.

Being on the LHP does not give you an excuse to break the law and commit murder. Unless it’s a life and death situation and you must defend yourself and your loved ones. Or, if you are a soldier and/or law enforcement and it is your duty.

4 Likes

He’s looking for the insanity plea, nothing more, nothing less. Beyond that, morality is in the hands of the individual. I personally, hold very little.

6 Likes

Honestly, these types may not be on the LHP even if they say they are. They only care about one thing, just like everyone else: themselves. They only don’t want to die and if lying is what it takes, they’ll do it. “Everyone is in the game for themselves.”

4 Likes

Satan in a nutshell - humanity’s greatest scapegoat, always blamed for their atrocities.

5 Likes

Murder isn’t very LHP this day in age. You’ll almost always get caught. The LHP is about survival and murderers don’t get to survive very long.

2 Likes

The Son of Sam case is fascinating, anyone every read The Ultimate Evil by Maury Terry? Mostly satanic panic conspiracy nonsense but very entertaining.

2 Likes

Agreed, to a point. It is debatable as to the necessity of killing; that is truly a subjective topic. Morals are not even real outside of a social context; there is only personal ethics and code. Murder itself is a societal interpretation. What is called murder is often self defense. It is labeled murder because of the judgment passed by people who were never even there. How much stock can you put in morality if that determination is made by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty? I personally feel that the very fact that we have police and militaries is physical proof that there are far too many humans on Earth. LHP practitioners can kill, and not in self defense. They can murder or force suicide. But a true LHPer will never shove the blame onto someone or something, and we know enough not to make excuses for what we do. We own our actions.

4 Likes

Sounds rhp to me.
There is culling. And is it alright to invade someone else’s country and kill them because you wear a uniform and were told to?

Al.

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding like an unenlightened barbarian, there is nothing in this world we own that we cannot hold on to. We really just rent things, including our countries and our bodies. If someone can come into your country and kill you and take your things or land then it was never really yours to begin with. Call it culling. I do not endorse this kind of action, but it is a perspective worth understanding. Vikings understood this quite well, and they died by that same logic just as sure as they killed.

2 Likes

(Clears throat nervously)

Ahem. Dave McGowan wrote a book some time ago called Programmed to Kill. He provided a lot of compelling evidence that most serial killers are totally manufactured frauds. Either they’re not even real people and the stories are totally fake, or they are real people who were railroaded to cover up gang-related crimes.

2 Likes

Personally i do think that Berkowitz was part of a group or cult, but their primary interests were in drugs and child sex trafficking, and eventually forced the individuals involved to stop because it was making things bad for business, but who can really say?

1 Like

Sounds reasonable to me, we know terrorist orgs use their mentally untable outliers as cats-paws, in that case for the added bonus of the confusion it causes when people squabble over the motivation - the point gets made, and yet it’s harder to pin it on anyone in the establish heirarchies.

2 Likes