"Similarities" Between Jesus and Horus

This is going to be copy and pasted with no editing from a Reddit post I made. It goes in detail through 42 claims that an individual made about similarities between Jesus and Horus. If anyone knows of a similarity that they don’t see on this list by all means post it and I will respond. If anyone thinks that I have given false information or answered a question falsely, then by all means challenge me. Preferably with a quotation from the actual mythology of Horus.

Let’s begin:

Claim 1: Both were conceived of a virgin.

Horus’s mother is Isis. Isis was married to Osiris. We do not know for what length of time, but presumably the marriage was consummated. Whether it was or wasn’t doesn’t matter though. After Osiris is killed, Isis puts him back together again (he was hacked into 14 pieces) except for his penis which was tossed in a river or a lake. Isis fashions a substitute penis for him, and has sex with his reconstituted body, and that’s how we get Horus. There’s nothing virginal about that.

Claim 2: Both were the “only begotten son” of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)

Well, yes, but in a very different manner. Horus was a creation of Osiris and Isis through sexual intercourse. Jesus Christ in the incarnation of the eternally pre-existing Word of God.

Claim 3: Horus’s mother was Meri, Jesus’s mother was Mary.

Nope, Horus’ mother was Isis. Some much earlier (and much less documented) myths of Horus have him born to Hathor (or married). Neither of these women are “Meri”.
Furthermore, Meri isn’t an Egyptian name, it’s Estonian and Finnish.

Claim 5: Horus’s foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus’s foster father was Joseph.

Horus never had a foster father, but Jo-Seph wouldn’t be it even if he had one as it’s not even a name.

Claim 6: Both foster fathers were of royal descent.

Again, Horus never had a foster father, but this is true; both Osiris and Joseph were descendants of royalty.

Claim 7: Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel. Horus; birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).

There is nothing in Egyptian myth about this in Horus’ life, this is pure fabrication.

Claim 8: Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.

This is also pure fabrication on Horus’ part. Horus’ birthday is celebrated on the “Epagomenal Days” which is a four day celebration that correlates to August 24-28, not December.

Claim 9: Both births were announced by angels (this si nto the same as number 7).

There is nothing like this in Egyptian myth about Horus, this is pure fabrication. Further, ancient Egyptians didn’t believe in angels or anything comparable.

Claim 10: Both had shepherds witnessing the birth.

Well, considering that Horus was born in a swamp, it’s an awfully strange place for shepherds to wander. It would truly be a miracle except for the complete lack of shepherds in the myths.

Claim 11: Horus was visited at birth by “three solar deities” and Jesus was visited by “three wise men”.

Theres is no mention of “three solar deities” in any Egyptian myths. This is pure fabrication.

Claim 12: After the birth of Horus, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.

Well, not quite. Herut is a Hebrew name, not an Egyptian name, so it doesn’t make sense that the Egyptian ruler attempting to kill Horus has a Hebrew name.

In the Hebrew myths Set wanted to kill Horus. But, he doesn’t attempt anything in his youth.

Claim 13: To hide from Herut, the god That tells Isis, “Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child.” To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to “arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt.”

Pure fabrication. There is no evidence of this event in the myths about Horus.

Claim 14: When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where his eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.

Well, Horus’ is true, kind of. It’s not a coming of age experience, in a battle for Osiris’ throne with Set, Horus has his eye torn out (and Set loses his testicles so…). Thoth manufacturers an eye for him with magic.

But, also, there’s no evidence that bar mitvahs existed at the time of Christ, they didn’t develop in the Jewish tradition until the middle ages.

Claim 15: Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at this coming-of-age ritual. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

…this just hurts how wrong it is.

We don’t know from the myths how old Horus was, he was old enough to battle Set for the throne. Also, bar mitvahs aren’t performed until the child is 13.

Claim 16: Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan.

This is pure fabrication. Jesus’ baptism made sense in the wider Jewish story. The ancient Egyptians have no such tradition of ritual cleanliness. There is no evidence that Horus was baptized in any myth.

Claim 17: Both were baptized at age 30.

Pure fabrication, Horus was never baptized.

Claim 18: Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

Pure fabrication, there is no character called Anup the Baptizer, further if there was he wouldn’t be named Anup, that’s a Sanskrit name.

Claim 19: Both Anup and John were later beheaded.

Pure fabrication, Anup doesn’t appear in the Horus story, nor could he, his name is Sanskrit.

Claim 20: Horus was taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.

Umm, kind of. The actual showdown between Set and Horus is much more entertaining, I’m just going to quote the entire passage and you can judge for yourself if it’s at all like Jesus’ temptation.

…Said the Ennead: “Let Horus and Seth be summoned in order that they may be judged.” Then they were brought before the Ennead. Said the Universal Lord before the Great Ennead to Horus and Seth: “Go and obey what I tell you. You should eat and drink so that we may have (some) peace. Stop quarreling so every day on end.”
Then Seth told Horus: “Come, let’s make holiday in my house.”
Horus told him: “I’ll do so, surely, I’ll do so, I’ll do so.”
Now afterward, (at) evening time, bed was prepared for them, and they both lay down. But during the night, Seth caused his phallus to become stiff and inserted it between Horus’s thighs. Then Horus placed his hands between his thighs and received Seth’s semen.
Horus went to tell his mother Isis: “Help me, Isis, my mother, come and see what Seth has done to me.” And he opened his hand(s) and let her see Seth’s semen. She let out a loud shriek, seized the copper (knife), cut off his hand(s) that were equivalent. Then she fetched some fragrant ointment and applied it to Horus’s phallus. She caused it to become stiff and inserted it into a pot, and he caused his semen to flow down into it.
Isis at morning time went carrying the semen of Horus to the garden of Seth and said to Seth’s gardener: “What sort of vegetable is it that Seth eats here in your company?” So the gardener told her: “He doesn’t eat any vegetable here in my company except lettuce.” And Isis added the semen of Horus onto it. Seth returned according to his daily habit and ate the lettuce, which he regularly ate. Thereupon he became pregnant with the semen of Horus. So Seth went to tell Horus: “Come, let’s go and I may contend with you in the tribunal.”
Horus told him: “I’ll do so, surely, I’ll do so, I’ll do so.”
They both went to the tribunal and stood in the presence of the Great Ennead. They were told: “Speak concerning yourselves.”
Said Seth: “Let me be awarded the office of Ruler, l.p.h., for as to Horus, the one who is standing (trial), I have performed the labor of a male against him.” The Ennead let out a loud cry. They spewed and spat at Horus’s face. Horus laughed at them. Horus then took an oath by god as follows: “All that Seth has said is false. Let Seth’s semen be summoned that we may see from where it answers, and my own be summoned that we may see from where it answers.”
Then Thoth, lord of script and scribe of truth for the Ennead, put his hand on Horus’s shoulder and said: “Come out, you semen of Seth.”
And it answered him from the water in the interior of the marsh. Thoth put his hand on Seth’s shoulder and said: “Come out, you semen of Horus.”
Then it said to him: “Where shall I come from?”
Thoth said to it: “Come out from his ear.”
Thereupon it said to him: “Is it from his ear that I should issue forth, seeing that I am divine seed?”
Then Thoth said to it:”Come out from the top of his head.”
And it emerged as a golden solar disk upon Seth’s head. Seth became exceeding furious and extended his hand(s) to seize the golden solar disk. Thoth took it away from him and placed it as a crown upon his (own) head. Then the Ennead said: “Horus is right, and Seth is wrong."

Claim 21: Both Horus and Jesus successfully resist this temptation.

Yeah, we’ll go with that.

Claim 22: Both have 12 disciples.

According to the myths, Horus had four “sons” as followers Duamutef, Imsety, Hapi and Qebehsenuef. Not at all similar to the disciples though. They were born from a lotus flower and Horus made them rulers of the four cardinal points. There are honestly no similarities between these four and the twelve disciples of Jesus.

Claim 23: Both walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.

No, this is pure fabrication, there’s no evidence of Horus walking on water. While there are entities comparable to demons in Egyptian mythology, there’s no record of Horus dealing with them. There is no record of Horus doing any healing miracles in Egyptian mythology.

Claim 24: Horus “stilled the sea by his power.” Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, “Peace, be still.”

Pure fabrication. There is no evidence of this in the myths of Horus.

Claim 25: Horus raised his dead father (Osiris) from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave. (Note the similarity in names when you say them out loud. Further, Osiris was also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew, which is El-Asarus in Latin.)

Pure fabrication. Isis raised Osiris from the dead, Horus was born after this resurrection.

About the name connection. Osiris is itself the Latin transliteration of the Greek transliteration of the Egyptian name, Asar (though spelling is disputed). There is no official Hebrew transliteration of Asar.

Lazarus’ name itself is a Latinization of the Aramaic name, Eleazar.

Claim 26: Osiris was raised in the town of Anu. Lazarus was raised in Bethanu (literally, “house of Anu”).

Pure fabrication. St. Lazarus is from Bethany, which means House of Affliction. It is a Latinization of Beth’Ani.

Claim 27: Both gods delivered a Sermon on the Mount
Pure fabrication. No evidence of this in the myths about Horus.

Claim 28: Both were crucified.

Pure fabrication. There are a few deaths that I know of in the myths. He was torn apart and thrown in a river, or stung by a scorpion. In both myths, he is restored to life by Isis.
Furthermore, we know from historical evidence that the Romans employed crucifixion as a death penalty, there is no such evidence for Egypt.

Claim 29: Both were crucified next to two thieves.

Pure fabrication. Not possible as Ancient Egypt never practiced crucifixion.

Claim 30: Both were buried in a tomb.

Pure fabrication. Neither myth of Horus’ death has him interred in a tomb.

Claim 31: Horus was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days. Jesus was sent to Hell and came back “three days” later (although Friday night to Sunday morning is hardly three days).

Pure fabrication. We are not told how long Horus was dead in each of the stories. And, the Egyptian afterlife is different from the Christian afterlife.

Claim 32: Both had their resurrection announced by women.

Well, Horus was resurrected by a woman; Jesus was resurrected by God and told women first.

Claim 33: Both are supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.

Pure fabrication. There is nothing like this in Egyptian mythology, let alone the myths of Horus.

Claim 34: Horus is known as KRST, the anointed one. Jesus was known as the Christ (which means “anointed one”).

Unlike many other similar sounding words on this list, KRST is actually an Egyptian word! However, it means burial and has never been used as a title. So, pure fabrication and all that.

Claim 35: Both Jesus and Horus have been called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.

Pure fabrication. None of these titles are titles in the Horus story, they lack the Jewish tradition for them to be significant in Egyptian mythology (also, neither was Jesus ever called “fisher” or “winnower”). But, Horus does have titles you might expect for a god like, “Great God”, “Chief of the Powers”, “Master of Heaven”, and “Avenger of His Father”.

Claim 36: Both are associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).

Pure fabrication and false for both accounts. Jesus is only associated with Pisces by astrologists who believe that the procession of the equinox is a time line for spiritual knowledge (and lack thereof).

Claim 37: Both are associated with the symbols of the fish, the beetle, the vine, and the shepherd’s crook.

What? No. Pure fabrication. None of those images are symbols of Horus, and all of them can be vaguely said to be symbols of Jesus, except for the beetle.

Claim 38: Horus was born in Anu (“the place of bread”) and Jesus was born in Bethlehem (“the house of bread”)

Horus was born in a swamp. Jesus was born in a town. Different places.

Claim 39: The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: ‘Out of Egypt have I called my son.’"

Hey, this is almost the same as Claim 13, except it’s a different bad guy. Still false.

Claim 40: Both were transfigured on the mount.

Pure fabrication. There is no evidence of a transfiguration of Horus.

Claim 41: The catacombs of Rome have pictures of the infant Horus being held by his mother, not unlike the modern-day images of “Madonna and Child.” Noted English author C. W. King says that both Isis and Mary are called “Immaculate”.

That’s nice, so you found out that old art influences new art, and a modern scholar said that Isis was immaculate, this has nothing to do with anything.

Claim 42: Horus says: “Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power.” And Jesus says: “Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.” Horus was identified with the Tau (cross).

Pure fabrication, Horus never said this. And Horus is now associated with the Tau Cross, but this is a modern development and has nothing to do with ancient Egyptology.

1 Like

Thanks for this, interesting stuff. :slight_smile:

Actuyally I have more on this - it was Set, the murderer of Osiris whom Isis birthed Horus to avenge, who is traditionally associated with fish - if you search the terms Egypt Set fish you’ll find a bunch of links, and more usefully, jars that contained fish are named in Stephen Flowers’ book Hermetic Magic as a Setian item that can be used for work with his personage, current, etc.

So your zombie carpenter guy and his fisherman pals + feeding people with fish is not only not related to Horus, it’s actually adverse, but alas not in some exciting “Ooh adversarial” way that brings power, because the Egyptians weren’t stupid and they lived by a river, so ate fish, they just had weird hangups about it.

My best guess is that the rising Nile, when it finally subsided, left a few dead fish stranded in the desert sun, and few things smell worse than a rotting fish, so they decided (since, in the ancient world, “looks and smells rancid” were survival markers for pathogens) that fish was, or could be, evil.

1 Like

That’s interesting to note, thank you M’Lady Goddess!

Yeshua is Serapis Christ, look it up!

Herod never killed children, All fabrication.

To be fair a few things centered around Jesus was a copy and paste of Horus the younger.

How’s it feel being a couple thousand years old?

1 Like

Which ones? 'Cause I can’t find the similarities (unless my eyes got worse in the past half hour and I didn’t realize).

Most people spreading this myth saw a Zeitgeist film and became theologians over night.

They never cite their sources though.

2 Likes