Silencing the mind

It has been brought to my attention that a method of going deeper into evocation is to silence the background chatter seemingly always present in your mind.
I have seen several methods revolving around but I would like to hear some others.

1 Like

to shit chitchat of my mind i start focusing on my breath. no matter if it is deep or shallow.

2 Likes

Ive been meditating off and on for around 2 years now. When i say “the chatter” I am referring to the little voice in your head that quickly describes the image you are thinking of.
Like when you visually see the letter “A” in your mind. Automatically the little voice says “A”. Instead of allowing you to simply visualize the image without any background commentary.
There are ways to eliminate this commentary in your mind but my efforts have seldom seen success.

2 Likes

Do not try to “silence” the thoughts in your mind. Just focus on your breathing, stare at your focal point, relax muscles or chant your mantra. Let the thoughts pass on their own. The chit chat are like little storms. Let the storms blow over you and the nice blue skies come out. Over time there will be less chit chat and your mind will enter the stillness and silence you want.

4 Likes

Like @CyberLord said focus on your breathing, and find a focal point. That method works fairly well for most. But, if you have trouble with that just repeat some nonsense word over and over again in your mind or actually speaking. It’ll eventually start to block out your other thoughts. Just try your best to wean off of this after awhile as it can become troublesome with visualizations.

2 Likes

The first I had heard of this phenomenon was from Ryan Cropper on his YouTube channel. It is claimed that your brain has made that small voice as a defense mechanism to assist you during day to day life. Where as certain cases of psychosis the mind is damaged and has made multiple and or many of these small voices that become debilitating.
I in no way am claiming to be a psychiatrist only searching for those who have delved into this practice and found results.

1 Like

Let the thoughts flow, and if you will get to a state where reality that surrounds you melt then it’s a right state for deep meditation.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I will keep this in mind. I want to take bigger steps in my meditations and in evocation. I am trying to dig deeper into my practice.

1 Like

I don’t know but I have found it really hard to quieten my inner thoughts too. I have been meditating for years, but have found that it’s easier to let it (thoughts) do it’s thing than to try to control it.

I have noticed that over time, I am able to remember that I am sitting in meditation and it interrupts my thoughts. It’s ok to go away into that chat but keep on coming back to your body sitting in meditation. That’s what has made me more present and less connected to those thoughts that take me away.

Or you could just focus on your breathing for as long as you can. That does help for a while, although my inner thoughts will eventually interrupt that too!

1 Like

What I am seeking in all reality is clairaudience. Especially in evocation. It has been said that clearing out the background chatter in your head can assist in clairaudiant connection with entities you are working with.