Scrying Mirror - is it compulsory to be Round or Oval?

Hi,
I had decided to post it here, because i was not sure whether to ask this question in divination section or evocation section . As we all know that scrying is an important and necessary skill in magick and E.A. himself describe it both in his Mastering divination course and in the Mastering evocation course. I had noticed that E.A. took an oval shaped picture frame and paint the backside black and then used it as a scrying mirror.

Well, i live in a different place around the globe, and here i have found it a hard time to find a round or oval shaped picture frame. Peoples here have a bizarre fondness towards square shapes, i would be not surprised if some day i found that they hammered down all the wheels and starings of the cars to square size !

Therefore, i would like to know from my fellow magicians, is it compulsory for the scrying mirror to be round or oval size. How about a square size scrying mirror ? i think there should be no issue with it.

I don’t know the answer (I use one oval mirror for scrying some things, and a roundish agate slice for scrying spirits) but you could buy a generously sized rectangular frame and place some thick card over the top, between glass and frame, to make the viewable surface oval, or maybe use clay or some kind of modelling putty (if you can get that kind of stuff where you live) to round off the corners.

Something like this, only in front of the glass and not behind it:

Hopefully you’ll get a more definitive answer though!

I dropped and broke mine a few hours ago. I used my cellphone screen turned off. It kinda worked I only saw red blinking eye though… so I guess it all depends on size really. oddly enough my touch screen stoped working guess I need a new phone too now lol.

Mine is square and I have no issues scrying with it. It is my belief that since circles represent eternity (they have no beginning or ending) that the magicians and witches of old used them to divine an infinite future, that is to say a future with many possibilities.

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:2, topic:3450”]you could buy a generously sized rectangular frame and place some thick card over the top, between glass and frame, to make the viewable surface oval, or maybe use clay or some kind of modelling putty (if you can get that kind of stuff where you live) to round off the corners.

Something like this, only in front of the glass and not behind it:[/quote]

Thanks, that is a good idea ! i would definitely try this.

The shape doesn’t matter at all, but that’s not to say it can’t matter. If the shapes hold no special meaning for you, then one just as good as any other. If you know of a shape which holds meaning for you that may be sympathetic to your work, then by all means use that.

If I were to use a cutout, I’d make some of the platonic solids. No because I know anything about sacred geometry, but because they fascinate me. I’m unable to tell if that fascination is a quality of those shapes themselves or just a bent of my character. Any of the platonic solids have got to be better than a fucking oval, unless you’re using a birthing metaphor.

One feature of the construction which may be worth considering is the thickness of the glass used. I’ve read of many different techniques that involve looking at something (candle, wall, someone’s eyes), then looking a few inches in front of that spot. The transparent glass may be doing that very thing, forcing you to focus in between the borders of the glass. A thicker glass might then be more effective.

Just thought of that glass thickness thing now, so haven’t had a chance to play around with it yet. There may be an optimal thickness. The screen of your phone might be too thin, but a tablet would be serviceable as a scrying device in a pinch. Of course it’s best to have a dedicated object.

Couple links on general black mirror techniques.

[url=http://neuromagick.com/the-neuromagick-library/miscellaneous/black-mirror-magick-technique]http://neuromagick.com/the-neuromagick-library/miscellaneous/black-mirror-magick-technique[/url]

[url=http://neuromagick.com/black-mirror-magick-a-sampling-of-practical-techniques]http://neuromagick.com/black-mirror-magick-a-sampling-of-practical-techniques[/url]

Well, i am not a big fan of platonic solids; sometimes they looks very interesting, sometimes they looks like an eyesore.

[quote=“The Cusp, post:6, topic:3450”]One feature of the construction which may be worth considering is the thickness of the glass used. I’ve read of many different techniques that involve looking at something (candle, wall, someone’s eyes), then looking a few inches in front of that spot. The transparent glass may be doing that very thing, forcing you to focus in between the borders of the glass. A thicker glass might then be more effective.

Just thought of that glass thickness thing now, so haven’t had a chance to play around with it yet. There may be an optimal thickness. The screen of your phone might be too thin, but a tablet would be serviceable as a scrying device in a pinch. Of course it’s best to have a dedicated object.[/quote]

thanks, for pointing about the thickness of the glass. An interesting point, i could use a thick glass. And thanks again, for the links about Black mirror; they are very informative.

So if i want to use the scrying mirror invoke are evoke Raphael can i use it? Can i use his sigil in the background?