Scrying mirror_"store bought" or "homemade"

Hello Crawlers of The Night,

I wanted to ask the other forum members about their scrying devices. I want to move on in Ch# 5 with the scrying mirror, but, I don’t have one as of yet.

Well why not Mode!?!?!?!?

I’ll tell you why :slight_smile:

I’ve been doing a cost analysis (I know I’m sickening at times) with a home made one and the ones you can buy online…the 6" black scrying mirrors.

The cost is about the same when I look at painting materials and whether I use a clock frame (thanks Azesiel), or picture frame from a thrift store…etc.

I haven’t found one as of today from a thrift store yet. the draw back if I go “store bought” is I can’t paint the Grand Incantation…Alash tad al’ash tal ashtu as found in the course material/BofA.

What say you BALG Members? What are your experiences? Do you LOVE your hand made scrying mirror or store bought and why???

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Mode you can make one very cheaply with 2 cans I spray paint and a dollar frame. I’ve made a couple and gifted them to people and wouldn’t do that if it looked half assed.

I’ve had the “joy” of learning to do this with trial and error.

Remove the glass from the frame and clean it thoroughly. Get a can of flat black paint and dust the glass with a coat and let it dry and ONLY GO OVER IT AGAIN WHEN THE LAST COAT IS DRY. Otherwise it will eventually bubble up and look like shit. Sometimes it will take a week for a bubble to appear and piss you off to no end.

If you want to put the grand invocation on it make one with posterboard or stencil paper and cut out the letters with an exacto knife. Tape it down so it doesn’t move and paint it in whatever cooler you want in the same manner as the flat black. Once the lettering is done and dry, you can go over all of it with the black and it will cover everything but the letters.

I was thinking of doing one in a similar fashion with gold knot work bordering the edge of the mirror if I get around to it I’ll throw some pics up.

Thanks brothers in Darkness,

I’m going to move ahead and make my own then. It makes more sense to me to so that anyways…I kinda like making my own implements…it’s fucn???

YES BALG forum…Fucn = that means it’s fucking fun damnit!

I’m thinking of buying an obsidian scrying mirror. I like the idea of this being a natural material. Are these recommended?

Mode Mode Mode,

You should know by now that making ritual tools by hand infuses your own magical energy into the object being made.

Also when making the mirror prior to spraying it with black paint char it with the black smoke from a burning candle. Also use your BOA gateways inside the mirror. Put a little blood and sweat into this project and you reap massive rewards.

Zecharyah

1 Like

The only thing that I like about my store bought scrying mirror over my home made mirror is that the store bought is harder to break…damn dogs.

1 Like

I prefer the ones I buy from occult stores and online. It’s real black (or very dark) glass, not some painted picture frame. It’s like asking if you should buy a car or is a kit car good enough to get around.

LOL…oh shit

[quote=“Zecharyah 555, post:5, topic:1547”]Mode Mode Mode,

You should know by now that making ritual tools by hand infuses your own magical energy into the object being made.

Also when making the mirror prior to spraying it with black paint char it with the black smoke from a burning candle. Also use your BOA gateways inside the mirror. Put a little blood and sweat into this project and you reap massive rewards.

Zecharyah[/quote]

DAMN DUDE!!!

THIS is exactly what I was thinking of doing too!!!

I think that I was more or less feeling rushed when I posted this and it was stupid. I was putting unnecessary pressure on myself and thought I could cut the proverbial corners by gettin store bought.

thanks for reminding me Z!!!

BTW,

I’m taking Z’s advice…poor mutha-fucka is a Rock Star, gets mad trim, and sails around the world:)

There’s nothing like home made cooking. I also made my own black mirror and besides blood I also included a number of runes. And of course a few sigils.

Your entitled to your opinion but that argument isn’t exactly comparable.

It would indeed be foolish to buy a car kit if you aren’t knowledgeable about cars and all the many intricacies involved in making them run efficiently and safely. If you are knowledgeable it is both cheaper and the mechanic can make sure the vehicle is set up to his specs to a degree which is something not available from all makes and models. If your not worried about impressing others or the name on your grille the kit car would be suitable.

Making a scrying mirror is a far cry from building a car. Worst case scenario the magician makes a mess of the mirror or simply ends up with a piece of painted glass he can scry into. On the flip side if he is knowledgeable he can empower his mirror with both his essence and the power of a spirit of their choosing to aid in his sessions. This is something a store bought mirror no matter how pretty or intricate it may be will lack.

To each their own and may it assist your ascent.

So I’ve had an interesting occurance that relates to skrying as of late:

When I close my eyes I often get the image of my galaxy 2 note in front of my face. It’s a black screen and I look at it like I would my phone. Often it turns on and shows me things in full color on the imagined screen. Its been an interesting occurance to say the least and really has been happening spontaneously!

Anyway, I just thought I’d share. …and yes gateways, sigils and runes are good things to include.

1 Like

Bran is right on the runes. Yes, anything you can add that means something to you will help. I actually received a sigil while scrying from a spirit. Then took my mirror apart and put the sigil behind it. Also, if you put five coats of paint or more on the back of the glass it is dense enough. Another thing that is cool to scry with is an old beat up mirror like from an antique shop where the surface is “worn”. The older the better. If you can get one from the early 1900s or older, those are cool.

1 Like

What lettering?

So to make my first black scrying mirror, all I have to do is go and buy a piece of glass like from a picture frame and paint it black?

Yes.

The instructions to make a black mirror are pretty simple. Find a picture frame with a glass front, paint one side of the glass matte black, put the glass back in the frame with the unpainted side facing out, and voila! one black scrying mirror.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m going to do that.

1 Like