Runes

So I just got some runes the other day; The Book of Runes 25th Anniversary one to be exact.

What would you recommend as supplementary readings or sources to starting out with them?

Please use the search function if you have a question to make sure someone hasn’t already asked it or made a tutorial. I used to search function and it took me all of five seconds to find this link:

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

Who has awakened me from my slumber?

Oh…oh you were quoting me…I’m embarrassed now.

OP, I would also recommend Rune Secrets (dot) com. It details the site owner’s journey with each rune, and while I am sure you will reach your own conclusions, it is a good template.

2 Likes

Runelore, Futhark and anything else by Edred Thorsson, aka Stephen Flowers Ph.D. That said and from person experience, be careful of Odhinn.

Al.

Why be careful of him?

Odhinn can’t be trusted. After I experienced this I gave up on runes. Thor is probably different.

Al.

3 Likes

Care to elaborate on your experience with Odin?

1 Like

Not really. It was personal. All I’m saying is be very careful of Odhinn. He’s know to be untrustworthy and in reality (my reality) he was. ‘Don’t pay the ferry man until he gets you to the other side’.

Al.

1 Like

Interestingly, I have found Odin (however anyone wishes to spell it) to be quite trustworthy. Perhaps not in the usual human sense, but always in his own specific, personal sense. You would not expect a wolf or a scorpion to act like a human, so why trust them in the same way as a human? Odin will always act like Odin, no more and no less

1 Like

I found him quite trustworthy too and for some time, but his nature is well known.

Al.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s basically how he acts in all the stories about him. He disguises himself and pretends to be someone else in order to gain information.

2 Likes

shrug nah, I get what you mean, i was just saying. I actually didn’t even learn of his warmongering and strife-inducing side until recently. I wonder if he’s more of a trickster than Loki is, really. Inducing fights for the sheer fight-i-ness is pretty strange

2 Likes

One of my favorite YouTube channels did a summarization of the Poetic Edda.

2 Likes

Synchronicities. Dammit. But fair point.

This one was done on purpose, but the synchronicity of concept is still valid :wink:

It depends on which Odin. I’d be careful of Grim, but Wode is great.

Who or what do you think Loki is?
An aspect of the Allfather.

OUA.

[quote=“Uncle-Al, post:18, topic:13622”]Who or what do you think Loki is?
An aspect of the Allfather.[/quote]

You are actually the first person to genuinely share this “UPG” with me, and not just say “Oh yeah maybe lol” like so many before.

Control the dialogue, destroy as you create, give words as you trip them up.

POWAH! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve heard that before. I am not sure if Loki is an aspect of Odin’s highest form but I wouldn’t at all be suprised. Blood brother could have meant something deeper than what we think.

There was an old book I had (a looong time ago) that treated Loki as the “darkside” of Odin, but it never really resonated with me, at least Grim and Loki have two different energies when they manifest.

1 Like