Ritual construct

I am currently reading S. Connolly’s “Curses, hexing and crossing” and in a few of the later chapters she makes reference to using a ritual construct in place of either a daemonic circle or circle of protection. Specifically she recommends a “hexagram construct”.

Can anyone explain further the purpose of these, how they are created, etc. or provide a reference with this detail?

Thanks!

I believe EA and Dante also used this in their Lake of Fire rituals. To my understanding, you use a hexagon instead of a circle. Of course, hexagram actually refers to one of the several possible 6-pointed stars - so perhaps a hexagram inscribed in a hexagon? Perhaps do a few possible drawings and do a divination on them?

I have no experience with this, just extrapolating a bit from what I do know about, in hopes of aiding the inquiry.

soundwave, check out her other books like the “complete” books she’s got out. i have them back at school (im in sydney right now on school break) but i’ll get you book and page references next week, k? i’ll post them here for others’ benefit.

-james

oh just as an aside, a “triangle” construct is literally a triangle instead of a circle with three elemental daemons at the corners and a fourth entity centrally (as per daemonolater tradition). needless to say it’s elementally unstable but if you know about the significance of shapes in magic, the triangle is the shape of motion and energy (circle = infinity/point/circumference and square/cross = stability etc).

-james

i’m reading through the infernal colopatiron by s. connolly right now and there’s a chapter (no. 14 i think, on page 71?) on ritual constructs. it details linear gate openings and hexagonal pillar constructs etc. if it’s a circumferential design like a geometric shape (usually with corners), each vertex becomes the focus of either a gateway or a pillar (depending on whether you’re opening a current into the “circle” or if you’re charging an item. elements are often used along with other, more abstract representations. elemental inclusion facilitates balance and harmony.

non-circumferential constructs (like the linear designs) are more of a pathworking or gateworking concept similar to the walking of the gates of the necronomicon. naturally, no “circle” (of whatever shape) exists and each gate is passed through sequentially in a linear fashion. each approach has its own merits but naturally, shapes and their corresponding numerological/sephirothic correlations bring new things to the ritual. again, the tarot serves as a great numerological roadmap and can be seen in practise in the heptameron circle.

hexagons, the number six etc relate to the sixth sephiroth (which is the highest level of conscious creation, later radiating down to the tenth sephiroth or malkuth, the physical realm). the heptameron circle is six feet across, surrounded by three more circles each another foot greater in diameter (6" greater in radius). that makes circles of 6, 7, 8 and 9 feet. beyond the outermost circle of 9 feet (again, the “magical” number 9…) is the tenth “foot”, or the “real world” because it’s outside of the ultimate boundary of the circle. the number 10 relates to malkuth, so the “real world” is also the “physical realm”. when you stand inside the 6 foot circle, you are standing in the sixth sephiroth, eminating out to the tenth. this also relates to the hexagonal ritual construct. when you stand in the middle of the hexagon during the ritual, it resembles the hexagram of the macrocosm with yourself at the centre as the sun;)

just a thought. i’ll get back to you with more references.

-james.