Removed conversation

Wot, there are ranks?

Yes, you are still only a member and not a regular. The people that have regular by their name are people who have participated in the forum( i.e. PMing people, making posts, etc.) I’m not sure if there are any more than that.

Ah, well i have just returned to the forums today after taking a… Uhm… Long break. So it makes sense. Think i used to be regular once upon a time tho… Welp whatevs.

1 Like

@Drugstep There are 3 levels, called Trust Levels. TL 1 is basic, what every member starts with. TL 2 is Member status. This unlocks the ability to PM. TL3 is Regular, and this brings some more abilities like editing post titles, and moving threads to other sections. Once you have Regular status, I don’t think you can lose it, unless you close your account (or the mods strip it from you). If you were a Regular and simply took time off, you would still have that level.

4 Likes

Ait so i was never a regular. Feels kinda good knowing i didn’t lose a title. Cheers @DarkestKnight.

2 Likes

Okay the news (good, bad, not sure which) is ALL forums have always allowed this kind of editing to a quoted post, it’s because the quoted text appears in the field where the person may reply, and this is 99.999% of the time useful, meaning someone can edit out non-relevant parts.

This Discourse software permits you to select text with the cursor and only that part will be quoted, but the old forum, and most other platforms, will just quote the whole post, so a considerate reply will actually hone that down just to the relevant part so people are not re-reading a massive block of redundant text.

Forum software platforms phpBB and Simple Machines both permit edits to a quoted post, there is afaik no kind of baked-in system to make sure a quote isn’t altered, and it’s usually only done in fun. I have actually done it as a joke in the TMW topic for example, it’s normal to bold/italicise the text changed, and say something like “fixed that for you” or something.

It can’t be prevented afaik BUT - this IS good news - this Discourse software shows the edit history of each and every post, under the pencil icon that appears to the top right of the post, anything edited in the first 5 minutes (and by the OP) won’t show, they call that the “ninja edit window” and it’s so you can catch your typoes or add a last-minute thought without cluttering up the history, but after that, everything is logged and visible, and this software is god-tier, it loses NOTHING, and nothing gets scrubbed or deleted.

EVER! :smiling_imp:

So if someone quotes you as for example:

… anyone viewing the real post will see that’s not what he said. Sadly! :crying_cat_face:

Obviously, it’s rude to do this abusively, or to change what someone said in order to make them look bad, though the edit history being visible here means if someone quoted me as

… it would be easy to verify I posted no such thing, and I could in fact post a screenshot, if that were necessary, of the original post.

(If you have the normal notifications, you will see a little blue notification that someone has quoted YOUR post, making this super-easy to monitor.)

The correct and quickest thing to do if you see this being abused, is to FLAG the post with the mis-quote in, like any other possible rule-breaking - flags go straight to my e-mail inbox (as I explained in that topic I misquote above in the TL3 members’ Lounge), and flags are the first thing I action when I log-in, Timothy can also see them and he sometimes swings by when I’m offline, so they go straight to the top of the list. :+1:

@DarkestKnight covered Trust Levels there, but any more questions, let me know, always happy to help explain how things on here work - or scramble off and look it up, if needed! :blush:

2 Likes

Don’t ask where I got it…
download