Question about Gabriel

Can’t find the answer on google. I’m trying to wrote a fictional book that Ive been working on for years (i keep feeling uncertain, deleting the whole thing, and starting over… Because I want to get it perfect.)

So what I can’t find is, does Gabriel use a weapon? I know his intrument is trumpet but I could have sworn he uses a gold somewhat thinly bladed sword. But nowhere says anything about that. Does anyone know?

Also what does he look like? Has anyone seen him appear to them? I always pictured him differently than what church depictions show. Very pale, blue eyes, dark brown (almost black) hair. But I want to depict them in ways that aren’t offending as best as I can.

1 Like

All spirits can use weapons, including Gabriel. I don’t think he has an “assigned” weapon though, so go nuts.

Gabriel has appeared to me as a female entity. He (or rather she) was pale as the moon with three tendrils coming out of her head, gold eyes, no mouth and purple lines covering her body. Very alien but very beautiful.

3 Likes

All the archangels wield swords in my experience.

2 Likes

Gabriel is also associated with a deep blue and orange color, like the surface of a pure-blue lake being illuminated by the orange glow of the moon at night. I’ve also sensed more of a feminine presence, though generally speaking for me the archangels don’t tend to feel particularly gendered either way, but I suppose they can present themselves as appearing to lean one way or the other.

I’ve also gotten somewhat of a “martial” vibe from Gabriel, though definitely different from Michael’s. Michael feels more like the warrior who rides into battle, while Gabriel is the sergeant who instills discipline in the ranks, communicates the orders from the generals in an inspiring fashion, and who can perceive patterns in the chaos and detect the ebb and flow of things.

1 Like

Well the scribes say Gabriel is a he, but there are articles and people who talk about a ‘she’. Maybe male and a bit female too, like Lucifer.

1 Like

In the books Michael is the one with the sword.

1 Like

Not quite true. All the archangels are said to have swords from what I’ve read, as they are all said to be warriors and soldiers, but only Michael is said to have a flaming sword. The others wield blades of light.

2 Likes

I recall the bible. Cherub or Uriel in some traditions had a flaming sword to guard paradise.

1 Like

I agree that some say in spiritual warfare Angels had swords. But in the most important story in the book, Gabriel was a messenger.

1 Like

Yes, Uriel was said to guard the entrance to the Garden of Eden with a flaming sword. However, as far as I understand it, he only carried it for that particular job. It wasn’t his regular blade, like it is for Michael.

The archangels were sent on many different tasks, including bringing messages, interpreting visions, and destroying cities. However, Gabriel is not considered to be an archangel, simply an angel, in the Christian bible. They demoted him.

He is referred to as an archangel in the older, Jewish traditions though, particularly Kabbalah and the collection of ancient texts referred to as the Hebrew Bible. He is also an archangel in Islamic mythology.

In the Book of Enoch, Gabriel is said to be the guardian angel of Israel, and tasked with defending its people from the angels of other nations, alongside Michael.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I always felt too. Sorry for the delayed response, btw. Everyone.

Whoa wait. Uriel guards Paradise? When I was a kid I died of hypothermia and saw a place like Eden. I knew if I’d step into the grass Id lose all memory and be gone from earth. But when I was about to step in someone said “It’s not your time yet.” And I got forceably pulled out.

Every so often my mind just randomly thinks Uriel’s name. Wonder if the voice was his. I also only ever call that place Paradise. Not heaven.

2 Likes

Now Ive never had a conversation with him or anything but I always got the feeling that he was an archangel and would be angered if considered less. That he carries a sharp thin-blade sword of fiery blazing light. I kind of get scared when I talk about him too. Which is why I concern myself with not offending him. But all the other angels feel fine to talk about.

The only orher one is Uziel and I literally cant even say his name out loud. But Gabriel makes me the most nervous. Hope I didnt offend him in a past life.

1 Like

Hey, I just want to say that there’s no need to be afraid, I’m sure the archangels aren’t mad at you or anything like that. They won’t get upset or “offended” or anything like that over such little things. They want to love and assist you however they can, no matter what mistakes you may have made in the past :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good to know. My family is strict Catholics. So maybe some of the fear is caused by how I was raised with that.

1 Like