Program tarot to answer yes/no questions

I will buy a new tarot deck which i am going to use to answer yes/no questions but i am not sure how to do that. Do i just need to think about how i want to use it? Or is it something more complex?

1 Like

I have never used an entirely separate deck to ask yes/no questions. There is a five card draw I typically do, and yes/no is determined by the ratio of “objectively” positive cards to “objectively” negative cards.
For example, if you ask a question and pull the Sun, Devil, 7 of wands, 3 of cups, temperance, your answer is leaning toward yes but it’s not a guarantee, just probable. You can also read the cards to see the influences on the situation.
I’ve never seen any reason to own a separate deck for separate types of readings. I own several and will gravitate toward one depending on the reading or the querent, but half of my preference is whichever one is on my desk at a given time.

2 Likes

If I were reading the cards drawn above, I would likely sum it up as a decision that’s being made based on a desire for joy, excitement, and happiness, and a desire to protect ones self based on negative past experiences. Temperance is the heaviest card in the spread, representing patience and careful thought and consideration.

1 Like

Don’t you ever have doubts about your readings?

Doubting your readings boils down to an attachment to the outcome of your readings. Sometimes, a deck will wise up and show you what you want to see as a harsh lesson that you’re not fully engaging yourself as a tarot reader, and you’re pulling cards because you want to be hopeful; not because you want to know the truth.
There are ways to utilize tarot as a manifestation tool, and that can come in handy, certainly.
But if you want truthful answers from the tarot, you have to want a truthful answer and be willing to adapt and accept what you see.
Keep in mind that tarot can only show you the most probable outcome based on the current energy around a situation. Life can change in a heartbeat, and the energy can shift as well, making a reading null and void. Tarot cannot always compensate for factors we either don’t see, or aren’t allowed to see.
Tarot is a fickle beast that will allow you to know what you need to know. Nothing more. Someone incredibly skilled may be able to make deductions and inferences based on the situation and cards, but should you make a discovery through those means you cannot always rely on tarot to confirm nor deny these deductions.

I hope I’m not making things sound too complicated, tarot is far from a shallow pond and I have a lot of time with a deck in my hands.

1 Like

Sometimes i am like “how can a deck of cards help me see a situation clearly when what i do is just shuffle as many times as i believe i have and then do a spread?”.

To answer your question more directly, only when reading from an emotionally attached state.
A trick I use sometimes to get outside of the reading is to refer to myself in third person.
“Future advice outcome of this situation for >my name<”
If you can remove the “I” from the reading and treat the cards as though they’re for someone else, it keeps you grounded and helps information flow more freely. I recommend lighting a scented candle, grounding, and working through opening your 7 chakras prior to reading for yourself, just so you can get out of your own way.

1 Like

How long have you been reading?

1 Like

5 months. The readings are accurate, there are times that i doubt that they work and this is when i don’t feel a connection to my cards.

one way I do simple yes/no is by mentally letting it know to give me right side up for “yes” or upside down for “no” and dont usually pay much attention to the card meaning itself - my deck usually gives me relevant cards, anyway, if I do want a sort of quick and dirty reading on what the situation is like, but its otherwise not necessary for me. I recommend 1, 3, or 5 cards to give either a direct yes/no, or a spectrum of positive vs negative. thats the easiest and swiftest way, but you could also read if the cards are generally “positive” or “negative” in meaning i.e. I usually view a 3 of Swords as a negative card, so If I draw that, it could be a “no.” Lots of ways to do it if you get creative.

I have a deck that I’ve used for fifteen years and its been “programmed” so to speak to know me very well, much better than other decks. To “program” I usually do a few readings and mentally note the way I want my deck to read, and the questions are things I already know most if not all the answer to. That way I can get an understanding of both how the deck reads as well as the deck can understand how I want to read it. My deck is more like a coworker than a tool. When I use my most experienced deck, its automatic: it knows if I want a yes/no, a quick reading, a general reading, etc. Totally in sync. Trust your deck and yourself, but always have room for learning more.

I don’t think its necessary to buy a separate deck for yes/no, as one deck can do it all and more, but if that’s what you want then go for it. I have almost thirty decks for both personal collecting purposes and just that they each read differently with different personalities.

1 Like