Peter J Carroll post

So I’d thought I’d leave this here for those interested. If you don’t know, Peter J. Carroll was one of the founders of Chaos Magick, which some people use extensively. He goes into a bit of drugs, sex and a possible future that some magicians will encounter. Some other magi in other orders, I think EA gave his opinion as well, have written about these. Always a good idea to get a sense for the future.

[url=http://www.specularium.org/blog/item/204-a-future-of-magic-esoterics]A Future of Magic & Esoterics

Good post thanks for sharing. I really resonate with his prediction that results based magic, and a “show me what this has gotten you” mentality being the wave of the future. This is the age of the Goes, the Satanic Standard once reserved for the carnal few is now the measuring rod of magical competence.

Hails!!! Its been fruitful for me to view some things as polarities. I have not thought of identity/magic as a duality though, nor fear/desire. I wonder what the other side’ of the coin of flagellation would be.

He seems rather pessimistic on the collective right now. Criticizing online involvement over group meetings. The internet can be a powerful tool however. Instant communication/knowledge is misused in most places, though this place here is probably may favorite for initiating projects.

I agree with the notion that future wizards will need to be more practical than mystical, and wholeheartedly support that change.

However, that agreement doesn’t change the fact that I still don’t like the man. I’ve read 4 of his books and most of his blog, but I cannot see his thought processes clearly or read him well, and happen to think he’s an asshole.

I’ve tried bringing myself to liking him a few times over the years, however, I have not been able to. He and I don’t exactly mesh, it seems.

[quote=“Velotak, post:4, topic:7759”]I agree with the notion that future wizards will need to be more practical than mystical, and wholeheartedly support that change.

However, that agreement doesn’t change the fact that I still don’t like the man. I’ve read 4 of his books and most of his blog, but I cannot see his thought processes clearly or read him well, and happen to think he’s an asshole.

I’ve tried bringing myself to liking him a few times over the years, however, I have not been able to. He and I don’t exactly mesh, it seems.[/quote]

We can’t like everyone

I pretty much agree with Velotak except the asshole thing, that’s because I don’t know the guy enough to have an opinion.

I’d say that I don’t agree with the online stuff, but the arguing and schisms on many other forums that pollute the discourse and IMO prevent people from sharing acciounts of their workings (because they know their “enemies” will tear them down) are the reason I avoid other groups as a rule, so he maybe has a point.