Pathworking Yggdrasil

Over the course of my practice and experience, I have found that one thing that can be used to unite most traditions- or at least something that can be used as a starting point of understanding it- is the Tree of Life diagram. Every culture has its own Cosmic Tree, and as such, much can be learned by using this contemplative, meditative glyph to plot out and record some kind of pattern, or reach a greater understanding.

In this case, I’ll be studying the Nordic tradition using the Tree of Life. Pretty much all that follows is coming from my own understanding, and from conversations and meditations with Odin. Who else would I talk to about travelling around Yggdrasil using the runes?

Path 22

SPHERE OF COMMENCEMENT: Malkuth (Kingdom)= Midgard
Planet: Earth
Element: Earth
Symbol: The Gateway
Colours: Shadowed natural hues

PATH
Influence on Path: Saturn
Tarot Arcanum: The Universe
Tarot Interpretation: Assured success, completion [R] Failure, inertia, twisted gift
Symbol: Labyrinth, darkness, a well, the ash

RUNE: Hagalaz
Colour: Light Blue
Herb: Lily of the Valley
Tree: Yew or Ash
Deity: Ymir

SPHERE OF DESTINATION: Yesode (Foundation)= Jotunheim
Planet: Moon
Element: Water
Symbol: The Garden, the Sickle
Colours: Violet, White
Minerals: Crystal, Silver

Commentary
This is the path of initiation, of beginning a journey. This first step elevates one from the material realm to the Astral realm, and serves, effectively, as a second birth. In the Kabbalistic tradition, this is a moment of quiet triumph, of conquering the enemy. In the Nordic, it is not just a moment or journey of initiation, of triumph, it is a moment of pain and suffering and the ecstasy of survival.

Hagalaz is the Universal Egg, the first point from which everything formed, the precipitation of the Primal Ice of Niflemheim and the Primal Fire of Muspelheim- from the very beginning the Nordic tradition ignores dualism, instead opting for opposed forces; each with the potential to preserve or destroy. However, hagalaz is also the hailstone, a driving force of nature that one would be hard-pressed to survive.

As the old runic skalds said: “Hagall is a cold grain/and a shower of sleet/and a sickness of snakes.”

Odin and his two ‘brothers’ Vili and Ve slew Ymir, the deified personification of hagalaz- the thing from which all things are formed -and crafted the Nine Realms. In a similar fashion, this path when travelled using the rune is a trial- the slaying of a monster, the surviving of a devastating storm. It is not a journey, but a struggle against a force which can’t be beaten, a fight to survive using nothing but your will. The path is dangerous and manifold- hence the labyrinth -but with guidance you pass through, and come upon the threshold of the Nine Realms; Mimir’s Well at the root of the Cosmic Tree Yggdrasil.

Some people believe that Mimir is just another name for Ymir, which is- after a fashion -a kind of sage truth. For Odin sacrificed his eye to drink from Mimir’s Well, but also carried about Mimir’s severed head. There’s a whole story surrounding that, but my understanding is that Odin- surviving the battle with Ymir through great sacrifice and turmoil -earned his prize of wisdom. But the great lesson here is in the triad of Odin, Vili, and Ve. For Vili and Ve are but aspects of Odin. Odin is “Inspiration”, the great font of foresight and wisdom. Vili is “Will”, the power to create change. And Ve is “The Sacred”. Thus, they are only one- Odin, the Allfather, who through inspiration, will, and ritual took his godhood at the point of a spear. This is the path for the Nordic Magician- to earn their place in the Nine Realms through trial, tribulation, and sacrifice.

Feel free to comment if you wish- I know a few people on here study runes, and I’d be happy to discuss the topic.

I haven’t been interested in connecting my work in the Norse paradigm with one I know little about, just keep in mind that the two very different cultures will likely end up not having -exact- correspondences even with something as ‘universal’ as the qabalist tree of life.

For your convenience in comparing, Karlsson’s Uthark and free material of the ONA have attempts at a tree of life equivalent in Norse context. I haven’t worked with those trees because I do not have the familiarity with qabala to navigate them at this time. But if you want to check those out, they might hopefully help you. Best of luck, and don’t forget to keep us apprised of anything you uncover!

Edit- stupid autocorrect, stupid phone!

Interesting idea. I am glad to see someone else using Hagalaz in a context other than just destruction :slight_smile:

I don’t agree with the popular idea that Yggdrsil and the Tree of Life are compatible as the Tree in its earliest form was not a tree but represented as layers upon layers of existence…not unlike an onion (all jokes about “Ogres having layers” aside) while the worlds in Yggdrsil are a bit different. For example Musphulhiem and Nephilhiem run lateral to Midgard with the former located south of midgard and the latter directly north. Asgard and Helhiem were always above and below midgard requiring vertical movement as seen in Eihwaz.

Keeps us posted as I am interested in what you find.

It’s not a perfect map of Norse cosmology, or of how the worlds of Yggdrasil are supposed to be positioned. That being said, the glyph itself functions on many levels, I’ve found, as tool for understanding and a mode of thought. I was a little hesitant, but I thought of two things- firstly, if Odin had a problem with my interpretation he’d probably tell me, and secondly what I reasoned out here seems to fit with what I understood of the runes before I tried mapping it.

It won’t be perfect, it won’t be theologically precise, or entirely authentic. However on an intellectual level I believe it serves out a useful and beneficial purpose as a meditative glyph, a method of understanding, and a means by which one can easily and simply pathwork using the runes.

I will absolutely keep you guys posted as I render my notes coherent. If you believe something doesn’t work, feel free to call me out on it and I’ll defend my viewpoint as best as I can.

Here’s the next one. I already have a few done- I just needed to make the notes make sense is all.

Path 21

SPHERE OF COMMENCEMENT: Malkuth (Kingdom)= Midgard
Planet: Earth
Symbol: The Primitive Stone Arch
Colours: Shadowed natural hues
Minerals: Flint, granite

PATH
Influence on Path: Fire
Tarot Arcanum: Judgement
Tarot Interpretation: Renewal, rebirth [R] Setbacks, delays
Symbol: Ram’s Horns
Colours: Flashing flames of every colour

RUNE: Ingwaz
Colour: Yellow
Herb: Self-Heal
Tree: Apple
Deity: Freyr (Yngvi)

SPHERE OF DESTINATION: Hod (Splendour)= Muspelheim
Planet: Mercury
Element: Fire
Symbol: The Shimmering Curtain, the Cadecus
Colours: Orange, Black, White
Minerals: Carnelin, Mercury

Commentary
If the path of hagalaz was the fierce initiation, the traumatic and turbulent birth into the Nine Realms, then Ingwaz is trial by fire. Or, more correctly, Fire. The flames and powers of Muspeliheim. Freyr, whose proper name is the rune itself, is the sacred king, a god of light and flame given over to the shining and blazing realm of Alfheim at birth to eventually become its ruler. A mighty warrior who was a consort of one of several earth goddesses, Freyr gave fertility to the fields, and was showered with gifts, including a weapon which would see him safely through Ragnarok. Alas, he abandoned his good sense and gave up the weapon for the hand of the jotun goddess who he was the consort of. As a result, Freyr fell in Ragnarok to Sutur, the lord of Muspelheim.

Fire, once tamed, is a friend to man. In ancient days, it cooked our food, helped us survive in the freezing cold, and beat back at the shadows that could hide any number of dangers, evil spirits lurking in the dark, or hungry bears prowling around the edge of the campsite. Tamed fire is useless as a weapon- there is no respect to it, no power. We acknowledge a candle for its beauty, for the light it gives, but ignore the potential hidden within that paltry flame.

Ingwaz is potential; energy stored waiting to burst forth- fire carefully tamed, summer hitched to a yoke to make the fields green. In wild orgiastic excess the god comes forth in the spring, and he rules over the fertility of the land that follows. It is warm, it is safe, and it is useless for understanding its potential power. We have lost our respect for fire, the wisdom surrounding making it, taming it. We take candles, stoves, and campfires as a given- the firestarter is no longer a sacred position. People are careless around fire.

In a similar manner, Freyr’s magic blade was said to be invincible only when used the person holding it is wise. Freyr’s blade is, of course, his own power- for what is a blade in the hands of an earth goddess’ consort but a phallic symbol? A symbol of his own power and virility. Abandoning that weapon was abandoning his senses- believing he could conquer the power he was set against on his own. Sutur, and Muspelheim, are not candles or campfires. They are wildfires; all-consuming, all-enveloping, unstoppable. A force of nature that whole tribes would flee from, the sort of thing that sparked early man’s imagination in the first place, led them to imagine the potential fire in the hands of a man could do.

Since the beginning of time, fire has been our greatest weapon. Even modern guns and bombs must still use a spark, a tiny lick of flame, to unleash their potential. Walking the path of ingwaz is to walk into the jaws of Muspelheim, the devouring maw of Sutur, confident that we- as humans -know fire, and find ourselves consumed in the blaze. It is painful, but it is transformative. A child who is burned when touching a hot stove will respect its danger and potential from then on. In returning to the primal, raging fire of Muspelheim, we regain our respect for the power of Fire, and may begin to learn how to properly harness its potential.

I don’t see anything wrong with trying to shape this to the Tree of Life. When people usually work with the Trees, they tend to keep it within a rigid frame with a very specific plan of travel and specific stops along the way (they MapQuest it). But in my opinion, the Tree isn’t a direct road of travel, just a general map to help you understand the idea behind the universe and our evolution. It’s a general guideline that has to be made to fit our individual self, not the other way around. So I say use it to help you understand the Runes if that works for you, I’m interested to see all that you come up with.

Path 20

SPHERE OF COMMENCEMENT: Yesode (Foundation)= Jotunheim
Planet: Moon
Element: Water
Symbol: Circle, Crescent, Boat, Chariot
Colours: Violet, White
Minerals: Crystal, Silver

PATH
Influence on Path: The Sun
Tarot Arcanum: Sun
Tarot Interpretation: Happiness, contentment [R] The same, but less
Symbol: Wheel, Breastplate
Colours: Golds and reds

RUNE: Sowilo
Colour: White/Silver
Herb: Mistletoe
Tree: Juniper
Deity: Sol

SPHERE OF DESTINATION: Hod (Splendour)= Muspelheim
Planet: Mercury
Element: Fire
Symbol: The Shimmering Curtain, the Cadecus
Colours: Orange, Black, White
Minerals: Carnelin, Mercury

Commentary
Sowilo is the rune which is the symbol of the power of the sun, the symbol of the solar boat or solar chariot. It has also been variously interpreted as the ideographic representation of a thunderbolt, and thus is a rune closely related to thursiaz. It has also been known as the “Victory Rune” for reasons I’ll get to in a minute. Having travelled the path from Midgard to Jotunheim, and having taken a drink from Mimr’s well, the practitioner on this path is already initiated, fitted with wisdom, and thus follows an easier path than the previous one which leads directly to Muspelheim from Midgard.

To the ancient Germanic peoples, the sun was a feminine force, and the moon masculine. As such, the sun was much more potent magically, as the ancient Germanic peoples believed women to much more innately talented with magic, to the point where practicing magic was ergi or unmanly, for anyone else. The light of the Sun, as represented here by Sol controlling her chariot, is a symbol of directed magical will. It guides the practitioner on the path, and pushes ever forward to their goal. It is the goal, and it is also the will to achieve the goal.

Following this trend of thought, it was seen as the rune of honour, the connector between the gods and mankind, and was the bringer of ecstatic experiences. The old Norse hymns said “Sol is the shield of the clouds, and shining ray, and destroyer of ice. Sol is the light of the world; I bow to the divine decree.” In a similar way, Sowilo acts to initiate the practitioner into the fires of Muspelheim guided by wisdom and harnessed power. The sun itself, in this aspect as a duitful goddess, is the ultimate expression of harnessed Fire, and the force of will it grants is sufficient for those who had already suffered the initiation through the 22nd path to wrangle the primal fires of Muspelheim, and hitch them to their will. That universal force in the hands of an initiated magician is a potent force, practically unstoppable.