Origin of the Shem Angels

Possibly relevant i was thinking they might have been connected to the Sumerian/Babylonian Shedu & Lammasu which were guardian deities that were carved into temples. These beings were anthropomorphic having human, and animal features. E.g. human head, body of bull/lion and wings of a bird.

This would possibility be later adapted into descriptions cherubim angels. As they were described and depicted quite similarly.

Also Possibly why demons later had the same iconography and description in certain grimoires also.

Hello, i have a question… In some books, when u evoke an entity is said that in order for the ritual to work better, u have to call first some shem angels names and then the demon like paimon dantalion etc… Is that true? Does this makes the connection stronger? I dont want to make the entity’s feel restrained cause of my aknowledge…

@Giwrgos Originally if it was Solomonic or Kabbalah it was used to constrain the demon and force it to do your will. Since we have changed over time we now have Demonolatry & Pagan traditions that just call on the demon directly and work with them rather than forcing them to do it.

I personally never use a constraining angel. If however I want to add to the power of the ritual, I might evoke an angel for that reason.

As I stated in the other thread where you posted the same question, it completely depends on the system you are working within. A worship based system like demonolatry does not require the Shem angel, but a Kabbalistic based system, such as that of Gordon Winterfield’s book Demons of Magick, does.

2 Likes