Opus or Miller?

Recently it’s been made very clear to me that to advance I need to shake up my magickal perspective a bit (been drawing the Hanged Man and Queen of Swords like you wouldn’t believe). So far E.A.'s courses have been the only ones I’ve studied from and applied on a consistent basis, and I want to dive into something else while waiting for his next series (hint hint if you’re reading, E.A.) :smiley:

Right now I’ve narrowed it down to either Rufus Opus and his Red Work series, or the Strategic Sorcery classes led by Jason Miller. I own material by both authors and have learned greatly from both, so I’m not sure where to go next. Personally I enjoy Opus as an author more, and lean more towards Hermetics, but Miller comes up with some fantastic rituals.

So…I was hoping to poll BALG and see if there was anyone here with experience with either of these courses. Obviously I’ll have to do a reading, but I’d love to hear some reviews from others, if anyone would care to share.

Rufus go hwrmetic,maybe goethya.j.miller,kabal,hoodo.sorcery,witchraft,ya embrace darkness,go for,want smthing tat may take longer,or find the stuff,go rufes,i wont have ptience,& time,so up 2 ya.

^What he said.

I like Miller’s material and will be taking his course next year. His methods mesh well with my own and I think he’s a really practical and realistic magician or at least his approach is anyways. This year I’ll be taking the Lucky Mojo course and then Miller’s and then who knows.

I am taking Jason’s course right now and I love it. It is more of a non dogmatic approach, which I like. He makes mention of hoodoo, ceremonial magic, and Buddhist traditions and looks for the similarities between them while staying true to each tradition.

I like the way Miller explains things in his course. I am on week ten and so far it has been more of a basic foundation, but it has greatly helped me get back to basics and really strengthen my foundation.

I love both authors. Now, while I haven’t taken any of their courses I know a few people who have. Millers course is straight up magic. Meditating, breathing work, energy movement, spell and ritual work, divination, etc. You probably know this since you’re taking his course. RO’s on the other hand is a bit more…ceremonial…in nature. No where near as bad as the work I do (Grimoire Tradition) but it us based on his view of Neo Platism and does utilize a monotheistic worldview. Less on the spells and folk magics and more focus on spirit contact, ritual work, etc.

Again, this is not based on my personal experience, rather from talking with colleagues who have went through either course in the past.

Baphomet,tanks is wat i try 2 say,tanks 4 translation.

Sure thing.

Seems like it’s overwhelmingly for Miller, can’t say I’m really surprised. If my reading agrees it looks like I know who I’m going with. Thank you all!

[quote=“Orismen, post:4, topic:3018”]I am taking Jason’s course right now and I love it. It is more of a non dogmatic approach, which I like. He makes mention of hoodoo, ceremonial magic, and Buddhist traditions and looks for the similarities between them while staying true to each tradition.

I like the way Miller explains things in his course. I am on week ten and so far it has been more of a basic foundation, but it has greatly helped me get back to basics and really strengthen my foundation.[/quote]

Do you know if the course is going to delve into anything more meaty eventually, or is it purely a beginner course?