Offerings as charity

I have just finished reading “Circle for Hekate, Volume i : History & Mythology” today. In one of the chapters it is described how offerings to deities at crossroads (literal crossroads, not metaphorical ones) were sometimes part of an unspoken charity, where the wealthy delivered, for instance, pomegranates, and the poor took them at another time. It is written, that both actions were considered an offering by Hekate, which I find brilliant. Do any of you know, if this still takes place?

3 Likes

many traditions in latin america and africa use the crossroads as a offering drop off point. its preferrable often times rather then doing it near your home

1 Like

I actually did not know this was a historical thing. I do this periodically at an intersection near my house periodically as part of a thing with Jupiter and Clauneck. It’s a mini ritual, and the gist is basically taking a note, writing a bit on it, then taking a cedar smudge, blowing the note off of my open right palm into the street.

It’s pretty funny. One time I left a $5 there, covered in sigils. It was gone the next morning. About a week later I found an unmarked $5 on the ground right about where the sigilized one landed the week before.

2 Likes

In México when someone is injured by a car accident and dies in a hospital or while been on the street, people place a mark (usually a cross with the name of the deceased or date of death) with an offering, it can be a candle or a farewell note. You can find them especially in crossroads.

The same happens with small shrines on crossroads where they leave an offering to a saint (most are of st. Jude Thaddeus), so others in need may take it.

2 Likes

Forgot to metion, they also leave white flowers, a half-filled glass of water or incense too on these marks and shrines for those who leave this world abruptly. According to popular belief, is so the water absorbs the bad vibes of the environment, the incense purifies it and attracts good spirits.

1 Like