Noobish questions

ok…fair warning before you read the rest of this post…i’m a noobto the whole magick thing, my knowledge is basicly non-existant, i have some experiences with some energy interactions that i discovered through martial arts training and experimented with in regular life, but that’s it (apart from messing about with candle magic and spells as a kid, that i found in a book from a fairly large bookstore chain, and had no real information other than the “paint by numbers” format)…yeah that is in my intro post but i thought it’d be worth adding here just to make sure the extent of my noobishness is obvious (if it isn’t from the questions i ask)…

so question 1:
I read a post about fusing with your higher self, and would like to know how to go about it, possible paths of progression to that as a goal, any information and theory behind the methods and ideas involved.

question 2:
I would like (if possible) some links to good sources for qigong and neigong excersises, free sources :P, since i’m largely self-sufficient and only bring in money to pay for what i can’t produce myself (and council tax etc.), so paying for this information isn’t really an option. I have found some limited information on the subjects but nothing i can use to start training preoperly.

question 3:
Is there a good place to start exploring in terms of ritual/non-ritual magicks, elemental, dark, light, shamanistic, qi-based, or anything else? I have no limitations in terms of what i want to learn and research further so any type/style/path/method/colour/origin is great.

On this site alone, you might find these links useful to begin with:

• our Member Resources thread, which has a ton of links, including to newsletter tutorials on opening sigils, attaining Theta-Gamma Sync (TGS), and practical info on how to post images or YouTube videos, etc;

• and also a lot of good topics in the archives, which can be found using the Search function.

Hope that helps to start with. :slight_smile:

is there any more good info available on sigils that you ac nreccomend? it seems like a fun place to start. I’ve already used the search to look for any info on qigong and neigong, but every post mentioning them gives referances to but not methods for training or links to a place to find those methods. I was quite surprised to find that the tgs state is something i have been using to a degree in both martial arts and music for years without realising it, so thanks for the link to that resource page, some cool stuff there.

If you google the name of the spirit you want to look up, google images will usually provide a sigil - check the page it’s on to make sure you have the right one.

This newsletter walks through the basics of opening sigils, and then it’s a good idea to search round online and on here to find info about the spirit and (especially) about other people’s experiences of working with them.

I posted a tutorial for a method of divination I personally rely on a lot which is also suitable for total beginners here, and that includes links to legally read the book online as well, so it has everything you need to get started.

It’s usually a good idea to do a reading, or get one done, before embarking on any magickal work - using that method, you’d need to choose one of the questions I proposed in my list that has notes added for how to apply these outside to questions about spirits and magickal undertakings, which is linked in that post or you can view it here.

I personally recommend finding one spirit (doesn’t have to be of the class called “demons” - could be a god, ideally an ancestral god or one you’ve always felt drawn to, or an angel or any other type of spirit) and making a short-term alliance with them to help you, rather than the “pick a demon” approach where people treat spirits like vending machines, which (unsurprisingly) doesn’t often seem to work out.

Also, consider working with your ancestors, there are plenty of good posts about that on this forum if you use the Search function as well.

I don’t know anything about qigong so hopefully someone else will be able to provide a link there, maybe when the American contingent get online later today. :slight_smile:

thanks for the tip, the divination i’ll definately have to take a look at and play with (don’t take “play with” the wrong way, i basicly see everything as a game to have fun with, if it’s not fun, what’s the point, right?) as far as ancestors and ancestral spirits/gods go, i don’t really know of any, let alone have a connection to them, would it be as effective to just “send an invitation” in general with the goal in mind and see who answered?

I sent a PM with links re neigung/taoist chigung/martial arts… references… along with mentioning about searching/assembling from info in this forum

“as effective” is a qualifier… my opinion- the below post-thread might be relevant (hopefully you might have seen/read it)… but part of the first-step (and “second”…) is determining approach… what does it mean (as you understand it)…? ie re the question you pose above…

http://becomealivinggod.com/forum/new-magician-help/just-for-conversation-ex-possible-issues-opening-up-to/
… just for reference -luck

In my opinion you’d do better to choose a spirit yourself, because sending an invitation could invite some astral vagabond or trickster into your life.

It’s hard to give recommendations, past the basics without knowing what your goals are right now with magick. Do you have any area/s you’d most like to work on?

well, i don’t really know for sure other than being able to interact without the need for rituals, props, incantations/mantras/chants, at least in some situations. obviously flying around and making things appear in my hand instantaneously would be pretty sweet, but not sure about the possibility on that side of things lol. i guess my immediate goal is to absorb as much knowledge as possible and experiment with it to see what fits and what doesn’t?

Plus, the bit where you end up in a DARPA vivisection lab would probably be a downer! lol!!

So, money, romance, housing, a new car, I mean the reason it’s good to have a goal is otherwise you just have all this STUFF out there, from yogic stuff that will take you back to merger with the Source, to demonic possession, angels, fairies even… it’s good to have goals because also, that way, whether or not they appear is the proof that you’re not just having a crazy time with self-delusion. :slight_smile:

well, when i say i have no set goal i really mean i don’t know exactly what style will suit me best, for experimentation purposes a goal can easily be set as a way to test effectiveness.

p.s. if i could fly around and manipulate reality on that kind of a level…i’d love to ee those darpa guys get me in a lab in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“TieguaiLi, post:1, topic:4625”]ok…fair warning before you read the rest of this post…i’m a noobto the whole magick thing, my knowledge is basicly non-existant, i have some experiences with some energy interactions that i discovered through martial arts training and experimented with in regular life, but that’s it (apart from messing about with candle magic and spells as a kid, that i found in a book from a fairly large bookstore chain, and had no real information other than the “paint by numbers” format)…yeah that is in my intro post but i thought it’d be worth adding here just to make sure the extent of my noobishness is obvious (if it isn’t from the questions i ask)…

so question 1:
I read a post about fusing with your higher self, and would like to know how to go about it, possible paths of progression to that as a goal, any information and theory behind the methods and ideas involved.[/quote]

Meditate. Mantra repetition is easiest for most people. Information and theory is fine, but practice is more important. With your martial arts training you will know the difference between reading about something and doing it, and that there is no comparison.

question 3: Is there a good place to start exploring in terms of ritual/non-ritual magicks, elemental, dark, light, shamanistic, qi-based, or anything else? I have no limitations in terms of what i want to learn and research further so any type/style/path/method/colour/origin is great.

The best place to start is with practical exercises. Visualization, concentration, energy work, meditation, etc. With your experience you should have enough to take off quickly. Do these exercises regularly until you master them. These are in addition to spell workings and rituals. Just like kata work and training, which you know about. It’s very similar in that you keep practicing until you can call upon these faculties and skills at will when you need them.

Theory is useful as a way to comprehend a new subject, but start utilizing the practical application as soon as possible. Use whatever magic techniques or path you feel drawn to.

Keep a record of everything.

well, i do need some theory at least so that the experimentation and practice can be done, else i may as well try to invent a new path from nothing without understanding and experiencing the existing ones :stuck_out_tongue:

That said i have started experimenting with some of the techniques in various posts on the forum, mostly meditations and sigils as they seemed to be a good place to start out and there was plenty of information. not sure if this needs a new topic or anything but since it’s still on the newbie questions i figure it may as well go in here…

I looked around for a suitable spirit to call on, and the two that jumped out at me were Odin and Lucifer, i picked Lucifer because he seemed like a more suitable (and interesting) choice to try communicating with. So i got the sigil set up, wandered out to the forest nearby to meditate and try to call Lucifer with it, and surprisingly results came fast… within about 30mins i was feeling a heavy presence nearby, just watching, pacing (I assume it was pacing, it was moving slowly around me). At this point i was still under the impression that i had successfully made contact and had the feeling that i should wait for him to make the first move, so I did, but no move came for a long time. I was there for around an hour before the simple observation stopped, and whatever i had got in contact with to start prodding and “scratching” at me, there was definately some force put into it and whatever it was was sharrp, but not doing any damage or causing any pain, so i carried on waiting a while longer until i decided it was time to try reaching out myself. So i tried pojecting a thought to it, asking it to confirm that it was who i called for and if so, to see about making some kind of an arrangement we both benefit from…Nothing, apart from a feeling of curiosity, and maybe a hint of confusion from it, then after some more pacing it left. I was there for a good few hours, and the reaction from whatever was there with me made me doubt the success of the eperiment, there was something there, but was it actually what i intended to call? If anyone has any insights, thoughts, ideas, whatever, i’d love to see them, cause that was a pretty surreal experience.