New and Skeptical

So I’m very very new to magick and I’d like to put it to the test. These questions continue to pop into my mind being as I am a skeptic. Where do I learn magick? How can I trust the resources claiming to be legit. If it is legit,then where do all these gods come from? How many are there? I don’t have a job and i’m very low on income so can i still be just as good as other practitioners? what are some of these words i hear,like divination or evocation or rites? Why do we command higher powers,wouldn’t that anger them? What tools do I need and why? umm I can’t think of anymore but I’d love to get some help. :blush: thanks!

5 Likes

YouTube, grimoires, spirits, yourself and more.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
How can I trust the resources claiming to be legit. I
[/quote]

Filter out the bullshit. You’ll know if it’s bs.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
If it is legit,then where do all these gods come from?
[/quote]

No one really knows.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
How many are there?
[/quote]

More than there are cells in your body. God= a very powerful spirit.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
I don’t have a job and i’m very low on income so can i still be just as good as other practitioners
[/quote]

You can be just as powerful.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
Why do we command higher powers,wouldn’t that anger them?
[/quote]

Ask respectfully, and you shall receive. You are not their bitch.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
What tools do I need and why?
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing.[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
what are some of these words i hear,like divination or evocation or rites?
[/quote]

To evoke- to summon or call forth
Divination- to see into the past or future. It has more functions however.

12 Likes

Greetings Sapphire,

Congratulations!
When I was a member of the oldest functioning Magickal Lodge in the southern hemisphere (and it more than probably was) I was known a Thomas – Doubting Thomas. But I don’t doubt Magick any more.

The reason there are so many books about, websites devoted to and associations practising Magick is because it’s all crap and doesn’t work. That’s why in every generation there have been Magicians, because it’s all just make believe. Does that make sense to you, Sunshine?

The bottom-line is that a lot of Magick is bullshit produced by the loving spoonful for bottom-feeders. For example, Granny Jones Australian Tarot, The Baroque Bohemian Cats’ Tarot or Lee Bursten’s & Antonella Platano’s Gay Tarot are all wretched decks, so make sure you don’t waste your time and money on these or similarly obscure, reprehensible perversities.

I recommend Chaos Magic for theory and I recommend sigils and sigilization to begin with. I also recommend a Magickal Diary/Journal and I’m not the only one. Mr. Koetting has many physical Magickal Journals, but he started with his first one. So should you.

Finally, if your Magick isn’t fun you’re not doing it properly and if you don’t struggle out of your comfy, intellectual easy-chair and actually do Magick, it won’t work. Best of luck,

Al.

16 Likes

thanks Uncle-Al very helpful :smile:

This The Psychonaut Field Manual: A Cartoon Guide to Chaos Magick
And this
Psychic Development for the Magician
That should be enough to get you started. Somewhere on this forum I have explained the scientific factual aspects of magick but I’m not sure where. I will let you know when I remember or find the thread.

7 Likes

Your Very Own Magickal Journal

Your own journal will become your most treasured book of Magick. I recommend a physical, lined page book and pen. Everything goes in your journal. Your divinations, rituals, sigilization notes, dreams, dates, times, weather conditions and at least Moon phases. The left hand path is an individual one. That’s why your diary isn’t of great interest to me.

Workout a system of shorthand coding. A Magician going through my Magickal Diary could work it out, but no one else could be bothered. I don’t write up everyday, only when I need to. When starting out I made more regular entries. My experience taught me that this is how it should be, but I only know that because I took notes.

You may work your best Magicks during thunderstorms and/or when the Moon is waning – but you’ll never know unless you keep notes. I don’t think anyone else has seen my Magickal Diary.

Don’t neglect the I Ching. I recommend using small change, three of the same coins.

There are various Taro decks available. View these via computer until you work out which deck(s) actually speak to you. Purchase that deck, plus a bag and casting cloth both in 100% natural material, like cotton or silk. The bag should be large enough to hold your deck wrapped in their casting cloth. Also, if you want to inhibit your relationship with the Taro, buy a few books and immerse yourself in what other people say that the cards mean. Get to know the cards before reading what other people think. And if you ask party time questions you’ll get party time answers.

And we don’t have much time. Soon it’ll be all hands on deck. Will you pass muster?

Al.

2 Likes

[quote=“Sapphire, post:1, topic:14087”]
So I’m very very new to magick and I’d like to put it to the test. These questions continue to pop into my mind being as I am a skeptic. Where do I learn magick?[/quote]

If you want to just “learn magick” you’re likely to find it boring, because it’s like “how do I learn to cook?” - they start you out in school with basic, tedious stuff no-one even really eats for fun (cheese straws and plain sponge cake) and yeah, you learn all the stuff about oven temperatures, different kinds of flour and whatever, but you’re no closer to being able to throw an exciting meal together.

It’s best to focus on what you want to ACHIEVE, and then post to ask for ways that will give you fast results, at least IMO!

So, what changes would you make IF magick was real and IF you had one sure-fire method you knew you could use?

Things like that help, nothing blasts away natural skepticism like seeing results come in.

4 Likes

@Lady_Eva That’s interesting because one of the things that motivates me most is when I think about learning more magick. I have a very learning mindset I suppose. I love school and all. My general approach to magick is learning by becoming. Learning in and of itself is pointless. To learn by becoming what I learn though. That is what I am after.

1 Like

I agree with @Uncle-Al especially regarding sigils. They are multifunction badass but easy ways of creating and using magick in many forms!

1 Like

There areseveral free PDFs I can list for u. Google new energy ways PDF. Look up psitek.net also all free stuff

Find a culture and god that really clicks with you. Give this god an offering of something, like a sweet, a drawing etc. Then ask this god for a sign.

Can one photocopy a sigil, or do you have to draw it out yourself by hand in thick black ink?

1 Like

If you give food as an offering,how long do you leave it sitting out? How to know when to throw it away without making the spirit angry?

1 Like

Drawing it out is part of the process of making it solid in your mind.

Afterbirth has started to decompose a little it’s the decay that the spirit uses.

1 Like

One of my favorite words.

1 Like