Having lived in fire-prone SoCal all my life, I never leave unattended candles burning. Ever. When I do candle magick (and am not using chime candles), I snuff the candle out as needed and re-light the next day.
I’ve been burning the same candle for a few hours each night for several days. I’ve used this manufacturer’s candles before and they’re very good quality.
All signs were good - burning a bit faster than usual, burning very cleanly (no tunneling), and a strong, tall flame once it’s been burning for a while.
And then tonight, after I lit the candle and recited the spell, it burned normally for about a minute, then sparked, made a sizzling noise, and WENT OUT.
What. The. Actual. Fuck.
I re-lit the candle and recited the spell again, and the flame looks normal, but what the hell just happened?!